Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empathic illness

I have a problem.

I have days when I can't watch tv, read magazines, or go online comfortably for all of the ads that are on these days raising awareness of animal abuse.

When I look at them, I feel such a rush of (emotion? I don't know what to call it) that I get physically ill. My stomach seems to shrink and twist itself into the size of a golf ball, and I feel like I will faint and want to cry. It is as if I know everything, everything that this animal has been through and has felt, and it just stays and stays.

When I think of suffering people it is the same way. The only individuals for whom I feel no empathy are narcissists.

Does anyone else get physically sick over things like this?
    Peace and love,

Tree

Yes - - I can relate exactly to what you are talking about. Sometimes I have to turn off the news if there is a story about a person or animal suffering terribly. It really gets to me.

And all of those ads about animal abuse make me want to cry sometimes.

There are many animal welfare organizations, and I think they are places in need of donations or support. I've given money to them before, though I wish I had more I could give.

I think if it's helping even just one animal, it is all worth it.

Comment

My dog is 13 years old; he was the runt of a litter that had been separated from the mother dog at a terribly too early age. His littermates wouldn't let him eat, and they picked on him and hurt him. Additionally, the entire litter was to be drowned by the owner soon. I had wanted a dog for some time, and my mother picked him for me. The owner told her that he was the worst pup of the bunch, and my mother said that he wasn't the worst and she wanted him. When they brought him home, this poor puppy went immediately to a corner and sat with his face to the wall. Mom said to just leave him alone and let him adjust, and I did for as long as I could stand it. Then I put this doggie in my lap and he went to sleep. I have been his ever since .
      Peace and love,

Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Indigo Tree View Post
        Does anyone else get physically sick over things like this?
        Yes.
        Except with me it is hearing about anything to do with sexual type abuse, or nightmare kidnapping stories (and other related things, I won't go into further detail because just talking about it makes me ill to my stomach). But any time I make the mistake of watching any shows or news stories about things like that I get a rush of horrible feeling and start to lose the coloring in my face, my limbs get cold, or my head feels dizzy, and it's almost like I am them.

Or I'll just get really really angry and want to scream really loud. I have no history of these things or anything, I'm just a really sensitive person.

I don't so much get it with the animal abuse though. I just feel what I assume is "normal upset" when i hear about that.

Comment

It is really bad these last few days...I can't sleep tonight because of it. Now it is the bees that have me upset.
          Peace and love,

Tree

Comment

oh. sorry about the bees thing.

i don't watch tv etc at all, automatically ignore advertising. didn't know that was happening. but i'm the same way.
            !soil first! every garden is an experiment no experiment is a failure
            ------------------------------------** eat lots of salad! **-----------------------------------

Comment

I eat red meat and convert the morphogenetic suffering imprint of the animal that I have eaten. Not sure if it's a shamanic thing or not? But I can relate to what you are saying...
              Don't mind the God, beware of the owner!

Comment

The bees story was so sad. Watching the news can be hard at times.

I can relate to what rabana said about automatically ignoring most advertising though. I understand it's all about business and trying to keep the economy going, but I could do without most of it because I basically know what I like or need, or what I will buy. They don't really influence my decisions.

Comment

not your fault

Originally posted by rabana View Post
                  oh. sorry about the bees thing.

i don't watch tv etc at all, automatically ignore advertising. didn't know that was happening. but i'm the same way.
                  It is not your fault about the bees; awareness should be raised about such things, and I am glad that people like you are doing that. The problem is just with me; I am just exquisitely sensitive these days to almost everything (physical things as well).
                  Peace and love,

Tree

Comment

I feel a great deal and sometimes get lost in the emotions
                    However what I've learned is to watch the news without judgement
                    Read a horror story without judgement

It's not easy but after a while it becomes easier.

Comment

Originally posted by sean mac aoide View Post
                      I feel a great deal and sometimes get lost in the emotions
                      However what I've learned is to watch the news without judgement
                      Read a horror story without judgement

It's not easy but after a while it becomes easier.
                      What do you mean by "without judgement?"
                      Peace and love,

Tree

Comment

Once you attach emotions to something you are judging it.
                        If you can watch the news or read a newspaper without attaching emotion to it you will not feel the pain.

For example, if you get your hair cut
                        This is just a fact, no emotion

picture this

A man falls down dead with a heart attack

A man get eating by a shark and struggled all the way been dragged down gasping for air while the shark eats him alive.

We attach ourselves to stories and get upset.
                        We were not there. But we allow the thoughts to rush in one after another, every detail until we are overwhelmed.

It's not the event but what we do to ourselves that makes it overwhelming

Comment

i use that technique a lot too. very taoist but animal suffering slips in like a knife blade. its something i have to carefully avoid and block out.

there is much to be said for avoiding conventional media, not watching tv nor reading newspapers and magazines.

i'm better able so handle the bee thing because it makes me angry. so maybe there is something in that.

i also am not pessimistic about the outcome of all this. gaia and those of us who recognize her power will prevail. everyone will come around eventually.
                          !soil first! every garden is an experiment no experiment is a failure
                          ------------------------------------** eat lots of salad! **-----------------------------------

Comment

Hello,

Wow, a sensitive topic for me. I am empathic as well. Both for animals and people. When ads come on TV about animal abuse or child abuse, I have to turn it off. Otherwise I connect with the person or animal and feel their pain. This is the same for online, news papers.....anything. I have connected most often through the internet. But I often get pictures along with emotions. Child abuse I seem to empath most clearly, and I know that's because of my own past. I was severely abused.

Today I read a news article about a book written by a person who claims to be Christian called "To train up a child". It basically tells parents how to use corporal punishment on kids as young as 6 months old. For the 6 month olds, they talk about using a switch, and for older kids hitting them with quarter inch copper water supply lines. I had first heard of the story back in early 2010 when a story ran about parents who claimed they were told to use a copper pipe to hit their kids by their pastor. They beat their son so hard with it he died of internal injuries and severe brusing indicating several past beatings. And in today's story, a little girl was beatten and found starved to death. The parents said it was a fasting punishment. Anyway, I could feel everything. The kids fear of how bad they were going to get it. How much it would hurt this time. If they would live through it or if it would be the beating that would claim their life.

In another example, my friend shared a story of his mom's exboyfriend who threatened to make him drink his pee if wet the bed again. The exboyfriend came close to following through. He got him up, made him wring out with wet sheets into a pot and warmed it up to make him drink it. Thankfully his mom came out and saw what was going on and kicked his ass to the curb. I however saw everything. I felt my friends fear, afraid wondering if this man would really make him drink it. The man stood over him while he was told to get every drop in the pot. Then had him sit at the kitchen table with a glass while he put the pot on the front left hand side of the stove to warm it up for him to drink. I saw his mom come in and kick the man out. I saw it all.

Another incident that's difficult for me to talk about was a 6 year old who's grandma held his hand over a gas flame of the kitchen stove for several seconds till the skin blistered and his fingers fused together. She had gagged him and tied him up so he couldn't scream, and couldn't take his hand out of the fire. He had to have several skin graphs. And all because he been caught playing with matches. I saw and felt EVERYTHING. It was the most intense connection empathicly I had ever had. I cried for 3 days straight.

Thankfully a good friend gave me a tool called "Clearing". I have the directions online here: http://picsanddocuments.homestead.com/Meditation.html It finally gave me a tool to release connections to others. Of course I cried like a baby. It hurts my heart when I see/feel child or animal abuse. But by clearing, I could stop the constant flow of emotions and visions of the abuses. What I saw and felt I will never forget. But this tool lets me sever the connection so I only have to deal with what I have. And I hope others here find it useful.

But yea, if you can avoid such high energy events such as abuse, it really helps so much. If something comes on TV, change the channel for a bit till the ad or movie is over. If you see a headline about abuse, don't click it. Your not doing it because you don't care. Your not clicking on it because it causes harm to you being empathic. I don't know about you all, but I am sick and tired of crying. But there is nothing to be gained for me to read about abuse but feeling it and seeing the event. I will pass. Just be careful out there everyone. Be careful who and what you come in contact with. Empathing is a great gift. But when you empath something as strong as abuse, it's toxic. Be well everyone. **hug**

-Stanley
                            "It is said that those that cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it. But what of those who cannot forget the past? Something worse?"

Comment

Stanley--

Thank you, thank you for that; I will try it; it looks really good.

I know what you mean about people who claim to be Christian; I am dealing with them on a variety of fronts right now.
                              Peace and love,

Tree

Comment

Working...
                              X