Purposes of Yoga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purposes of Yoga

[Now I know a lot of people already know some of this, but maybe not everyone, this is just off the top of my head.]

Some people do yoga for the physical health benefits such as: Improved posture, regulating blood flow in the body and alleviating tense muscles and the pain caused from them. It also helps release toxins from the body.

But there are also some mental and emotional benefits as well. Examples include: Better concentration and stronger equilibrium. Relieving stress (which can also take a physical toll on the body) is a big one. Also it's a way for the body to regulate itself in wakefull times and allow one to sleep better.

Also yoga can be a spiritual experience for many. It can be combined with meditation (or a form itself) to produce some extrodinary experieces. For instance, repressed memories, early childhood memories thought forgotten, and even past life memories.

While many people partake in what I like to call "General Yoga Practices" for whatever reason/s they may choose, there are also techniques which have specific purposes. There are hand positioning techniques and poses used for opening and accessing certain chakras. And breaths for releasing kundalini energies and aiding in awakenings.

Anything you would like me to look into or post on any of these topics, or anything else for that matter, please do not hesitate to ask either on the thread or via pm. I'll do whatever I can to find a method to aid you with whatever the case may be. I personally find yoga to be a highly under-utilized medicinal tool, even though many doctors and therapists advise it to their patients. Try it... can't hurt... much
    With knowledge comes great responsibility. In omnia paratus.
    Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying. ~Baba Ram Dass.

I've never done yoga, but I'll definetely try it! Any tips for beginners?
    "Strange is our situation here upon this earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose." - Albert Einstein

Comment

When first staring off in yoga, in my opinion, I find it best to find a program you're comfortable with that it just basic "yoga stretches". This loosens your body up to be able to do more complex poses should you choose to continue. If you choose to take a class, that's great too.

2 key things to always remember: Firstly, yoga may be considered a "sport" to some, but there is no competition whatsoever. Should you try to instigate competition you will only hurt yourself. Literally. It is all about putting your body into positions in which it can handle but might not have otherwise done naturally.

Second thing, breathing. If you are having a hard time breathing in a pose or feel strongly compelled to hold your breath, you're doing it wrong lolz. It's not sit-ups. You're not supposed to push your body beyond it's will. You're merely showing it something new. You should be able to do deep, shallow-sounding, raspy (darth vader-esque) breaths while maintaining your pose for an extended amount of time. (20-30 seconds+ comfortably)

Those are the two big things that I can think of. But a helpful hint, which is more of a guideline, but one I strongly suggest you follow, do yoga on an empty (or almost) empty stomach. Your body will cramp up if it's full. And since doing yoga helps release toxins you'll want to drink at least a glass/bottle of water when you're finished... at least.
      Last edited by LadyArae; 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks, LadyArae!
        Last edited by CrystalKid; 12-17-2011, 11:04 AM.
        "Strange is our situation here upon this earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalKid View Post
          Thanks. LadyArae!
          I'm out of thanks, but you're more than welcome ^_^

Comment

Haha... :P

Comment

For myself the first three points that come to mind are -
              Balancing Mind and Body
              Preventing/Deturing Oxidation from occurring in the body
              Cleansing the Endocrine-Lymphatic system
              ~

I've got my mind over matter and what matters on my mind..'*
              May your Wishes Grow More Few & Far Between ~
              Love Light & Laughter !
              <3<3<3

Comment

i have had fibromyalgia all my life tho it has healed a lot over time and effort. anyway if i don't stretch and stay limber i seize up. so yoga is a necessity.

as a naturopath i tell people that as far as exercise goes you have to walk and do yoga. everything else is optional.
                !soil first! every garden is an experiment no experiment is a failure
                ------------------------------------** eat lots of salad! **-----------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by rabana View Post
                  i have had fibromyalgia all my life tho it has healed a lot over time and effort. anyway if i don't stretch and stay limber i seize up. so yoga is a necessity.

as a naturopath i tell people that as far as exercise goes you have to walk and do yoga. everything else is optional.
                  For pain, yoga/meditation is almost impossible to replace...I feel...This is when I started stopping narcotics, once I kept wanting to nod~out after or during my initial attempts. HaH! ;-p kind of intimidating at first, especially when you start to strobe etc anyWay
                  ~

What do you think about, trampolines rabana?!?

May your Wishes Grow More Few & Far Between ~
                  Love Light & Laughter !
                  <3<3<3

Comment

haven't been on a trampoline for about 50 years and i know they are different now. so i don't know.
                    ------------------------------------** eat lots of salad! **-----------------------------------

Comment

Oh boy... that sounds painful thinking about. I wasn't very good on those as a kid much less now.

Comment

yeah i remember hurting myself that way. maybe they mean those little exercise ones which i've never tried but would if i could. we started making a hula hoop for me the other day but it needs some rethinking.

Comment

Oh boy... I never could do that... my hips only have partial coordination during one activity... and even then it's a toss up...

Comment

Yoga is also an excellent way to 'activate' yourself.

Alchemy of Nine Dimensions, pg. 88 :

"...Both the ancient Egyptians and the great sages of India taught that yoga is a necessary practice for activating ourselves, because yogic practice moves our bodies in and out of postures that align us with our 6D M-field (Morphogenetic Field). When you were conceived, your EM (Electromagnetic) field contained a program to guide you through your growth, the pattern of your unfoldment. An oak seed will grow into a great oak tree. Trees hold their M-fields most faithfully because they stay in one place. We humans lose this alignment more easily because we move around so much, thus we need special practices. Yoga realigns our physical forms within 6D M-fields. Instead of slouching around in 3D, yoga lifts you out of being a puppet strung up by 4D (4th Dimension, a.k.a. Collective Dimension, Collective Unconscious, etc) emotional dramas, or being reamed out by the collective mindset."

We allow the higher dimensions into this world when we practice yoga, because it allows us to heal on many levels simultaneously, and pulls us beyond the collective dimension, thereby strengthening the gateway to our higher selves and dimensions.

What are you waiting for? Go salute the sun!!
                            "Shadows of the morning light
                            Shadows of the evening Sun
                            Til the shadows
                            And the lights were one"

Comment

Excellent point, love it! Alchemy and Yoga could be their own thread in my mind... which... I'm thinking could be a new project...

Comment

Working...
                              X