Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unlocking repressed memories?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unlocking repressed memories?

    I've read many different people's stories here on IS about how they've repressed certain psychic phenomena memories because they couldn't deal with it at the time. What I thought from that is have I? Would I know? And most importantly,how can i access them?
    I think the reaction of- omg that can't be real (be it seeing spirits or whatever) is what can put mental blocks in place,which can be damaging to psychic development. Basically does anyone know anything at all about this subject? Anything you know would be helpful, no matter how trivial it may seem to you.I've noticed that information seems to work like puzzle pieces,the more you have, the easier it is to fit some together.
    Love and hugs, Spyder
    ~~"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty"~~

  • #2
    I feel like repressed memories often become trapped in our body tissues and energy. I know that sounds weird because typically we think memories are stored in the mind. But the way I got some memories back was just through getting theraputic massage and energy work.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Spyder View Post
      I've read many different people's stories here on IS about how they've repressed certain psychic phenomena memories because they couldn't deal with it at the time. What I thought from that is have I? Would I know? And most importantly,how can i access them?
      I think the reaction of- omg that can't be real (be it seeing spirits or whatever) is what can put mental blocks in place,which can be damaging to psychic development. Basically does anyone know anything at all about this subject? Anything you know would be helpful, no matter how trivial it may seem to you.I've noticed that information seems to work like puzzle pieces,the more you have, the easier it is to fit some together.
      Love and hugs, Spyder
      Years ago, one of my coworkers told me that she had been abused when she was a little girl and she had all memories about it repressed for many years, until she started to remember little pieces of that traumatic event gradually, only when she was around sixteen years old. And, if my memory serves me right, I think she said that the process of remembering had started spontaneously, before she started any psychological treatment.
      Love Peace

      Comment


      • #4
        Personally, the whole "repressed memories" thing worries me. Someone I know is a victim of false memory syndrome caused by repressed memory therapy, and to this day she believes she was sexually molested by her father, which is absolutely not true.

        Stop Bad Therapy has a lot of info on the problem of false memory syndrome.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yann View Post
          Personally, the whole "repressed memories" thing worries me. Someone I know is a victim of false memory syndrome caused by repressed memory therapy, and to this day she believes she was sexually molested by her father, which is absolutely not true.

          Stop Bad Therapy has a lot of info on the problem of false memory syndrome.
          There is no false memory syndrome. Look deeper into this and you will discover the truth. Or keep believing it so that people who commit crimes against children can continue to get away with it... your choice...

          http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/abuse/a/reprmem104.htm
          Last edited by beautifulmind; 03-11-2010, 08:11 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for your input guys/gals. I'm sure that I havn't been the victim of abuse, but im positive that I've been the victim of my own mind. When I was a lot younger I was subject to a very psychic experience, at the time it terrified me and I blocked it out.Only recently has the memory of it come back, and I'm sure it's not isolated because I can almost feel the barriers in my mind. I feel that I need to fully integrate and accept these memories,now that I am a lot stronger minded.
            Yet again thanks for the words everyone,love, Spyder
            ~~"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty"~~

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Spyder View Post
              Thanks for your input guys/gals. I'm sure that I havn't been the victim of abuse, but im positive that I've been the victim of my own mind. When I was a lot younger I was subject to a very psychic experience, at the time it terrified me and I blocked it out.Only recently has the memory of it come back, and I'm sure it's not isolated because I can almost feel the barriers in my mind. I feel that I need to fully integrate and accept these memories,now that I am a lot stronger minded.
              Yet again thanks for the words everyone,love, Spyder
              Sorry Spyder to have gone off on the topic of abuse... it is most often linked with repressed memories but not always. I have no doubt that your own mind repressed the memory out of fear of what happened or what you did. It's really all the same mechanism, a coping survival mechanism, the brain supressing what can't at that moment be consciously handled. But I also have no doubt that you can fully recover and integrate the memory and learn from it. People who have experienced and suppresed horific abuse do so all the time when they are ready to face it. Best of success with this Spyder.

              Comment


              • #8
                i,ve an older brother who remember.s nothing of my fathers reign of terror, absoloutely nothing, as he is seven years older than i he had to have . but when i told him years ago what dad done to me he looked at me in shock !!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  its quite all right.Topics seemingly unrelated seem to carry an underlying theme of truth. Your mention of abuse made me think that members here who were abused could benefit from this discussion as much as I. Memories are what make a person, so we must know all of them IMHO.
                  We must all face the demons of our past,they wear many different masks but are all the same inside.We can consume these demons and make their power our own,seeing as how many of them have been created by our own minds (i hope im making sense).
                  I sense that you have had a great hurt Beautifulmind, and for that i am deeply sorry. The fires of my fury burn brightly at the thought that a mature adult could hurt a child in any way,the beast of my soul wants to somehow repay this hurt.
                  Thanks for your words and support,I wish you the best in your own quest for personal truth.
                  Hugs,Spyder
                  ~~"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty"~~

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    its quite all right.Topics seemingly unrelated seem to carry an underlying theme of truth. Your mention of abuse made me think that members here who were abused could benefit from this discussion as much as I. Memories are what make a person, so we must know all of them IMHO.
                    We must all face the demons of our past,they wear many different masks but are all the same inside.We can consume these demons and make their power our own,seeing as how many of them have been created by our own minds (i hope im making sense).
                    I sense that you have had a great hurt Beautifulmind, and for that i am deeply sorry. The fires of my fury burn brightly at the thought that a mature adult could hurt a child in any way,the beast of my soul wants to somehow repay this hurt.
                    Thanks for your words and support,I wish you the best in your own quest for personal truth.
                    Hugs,Spyder
                    I very much agree that your experience could and does benefit others and I also strongly feel that we must face all the memories having seen first hand how they can consume one as opposed to us consuming (processing) them in order to further cultivate our internal power. I think I understand... the "demon" is the energy attached to the memory that gives us the message that we cannot survive facing the memory.

                    Thank you. I am not sorry for my hurt. There has been value in it. If nothing else it taught me how to feel deeply in a world designed to cut feeling off as much as possible in order to be "high functioning" as function is so often valued above anything else.

                    If you feel passionate about the harms that come to children, really to us all then the very best way you can repay this hurt is to face it and acknowledge it because it cannot heal if it is ignored.

                    Thank you also for your support spyder.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X