Animal Totem Types

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Totem Types

There is a vast amount of different Animal Totems, even more than there are different animals living today, as the animal totem list can and does include all extinct species as well as the animals from Legend, Lore and Mythology. Fortunately we can break the totems down to 5 basic groups.

~ The Birth Totem ~

This is one of the two types of animal spirit that remain with us from the cradle to the grave. Our birth totems tell us what a person is really like, this can be seen as we share the same traits with our birth totem. Our psychic awareness is also closely linked with our birth totem, and for those who are interested my birth totem is the Falcon.

~ Power Animal ~

Our Power Animal is the other animal spirit that stays with us from the cradle to the grave. Our power animal will compensate for our weaknesses and our short comings. These Power Animals also share their wisdom and their abilities with us, often giving us the knowledge to answer questions on subjects we know nothing about and also giving us the courage to complete our tasks when we want to give up. They also serve as an indicator of our possible growth and full potential they are able to provide us with everything we need to attain to reach our full potential, helping us to learn and grow.

~ Animal Helpers ~

Animal helpers are the type of animal spirit that comes and goes as the need arises, they share their wisdom with us and show us what we need know to remedy any situation in our lives at any time. They will stay with us until the situation is resolved then they will leave to help someone else. The sooner these animals go the better as it means the problem has been resolved and we can move on. It is important that we be aware of these helpers and that we listen and pay attention so that we can use their wisdom when it is needed.

~ Animal Messengers ~

This animal is exactly what it says, these animal spirits are the dispatch riders of the spirit realms and they deliver messages from the spirit world. They often appear in our dreams, but can appear in meditations or along our chosen pathway as we journey. Their visits are always brief, they depart as quickly as they arrive. We may only ever get to see this particular animal spirit once so it is important that we listen, carefully, to what they have to say or look ,carefully, at what they have to show us, we may not get another chance to fully understand what was given, if we miss something.

~ Medicine Animals ~

This type of animal is similar to the helpers, except this animal comes loaded with medicine and this is to aid in healing. These animals only come when you call them and will stay until you tell them to go. These medicine animals also have a great wisdom to share with you and they will guide you whilst you do your healing work, in addition to all this they also provide extra protection, should you need it, whilst you work. Please remember when you use these animals to honour them with your thanks when you send them away.

"Some Warriors look fierce but are mild. Some seem timid but are vicious. Look beyond appearances - position yourself for the advantage. - Deng Ming-Dao

sigpic

So how do we figure out who is what?
    "If you could hear me, I would say that our finger prints don't fade from the lives we've touched."-Remember Me
    "...a single person's will strengthened by integrity&purpose can be more powerful than a score by lovestruck romantics."

Comment

Originally posted by aislynmoon3 View Post
      So how do we figure out who is what?
      My birth and my power animal are the same animal : mountain lion. These two categories - the birth and the power animal - you feel the connection from your very first steps in this life. Animal helpers now, they show up when you are having questions or any kind of troubles, I don't have a specific helper to be true, they vary according to the situation. Animal messengers - for me always the hawk - are usually the same animal so as you to understand that a message must be arrived. Medicine animals vary according to which aspect of your life you want to "heal", for example if you have financial or family problems you have to seek for the specific animal totem. The last category, you are the one who picks them.
      "Some Warriors look fierce but are mild. Some seem timid but are vicious. Look beyond appearances - position yourself for the advantage. - Deng Ming-Dao

sigpic

Comment

Ohhh... Thank you
        "If you could hear me, I would say that our finger prints don't fade from the lives we've touched."-Remember Me
        "...a single person's will strengthened by integrity&purpose can be more powerful than a score by lovestruck romantics."

Comment

Thank you so much!!! I love your post,, it helps me to know about them..
          http://www.facebook.com/NKindigo

Add me up as your friend,, ^_^

Comment

i dont know specifically what type they are but i know two of mine are a owl, & a cat.

Comment

The totem animals I've made contact with include a large dark blue-gray wolf with silver eyes, an india ink colored raven with green eyes, and a large bluish-gray dolphin! The wolf and the raven have been with me for as long as I can remember, the dolphin has been with me whenever I am near the ocean and need a link to nature.
              "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein

Comment

My last messenger was Squirrel.
                ~earthling~

Comment

how do i figure out how to interact with them? XD im like not spiritual much experience wise

Comment

interesting. perhaps it is this way. i've wondered, as you can feel very connected to one animal for a while, and then another seems more like your power animal. maybe it does change?

i just had a switch of animals, it suprised me as i thought the one that left was with me for life. but no apparently not, i was told i was done working with that animal, and introduced to the new animal. it was very intense! i feel good about it, tho of course. i was also told that this animal spirit had been watching me, they will only work with certain kinds of people. that is probably true of them all.

i wont get into who they are, for whatever reason i feel this isnt something to talk about so openly, tho? i guess maybe thats just an idea i have. still, i will not tell.

possibly it is like you say about medicine animals, or animal helpers ,they are only with you until you dont need them anymore. i've been thru different phases where i felt connected to different animals, and theres been quite a lot of different ones.

i've been curious to figure out which of those was my power animal, or as it is written the birth animal. for whatever reason it isnt totally clear to me which one is the main one.
                    ~many hands make the work light~

Comment

may I ask a question are there any totems that aren't animal like? its just that the other day a girl I found in another forum online said she had done an exercise to find her totem and she did not see an animal but rather another type of being that was very shiny and had a dif form... cant remember the details right now but does anyone know bout anything like that???

Comment

Perhaps she had seen her guardian or some might say her higher self. The main thing to ask her is if the being made her feel uncomfortable or not? If she felt wary, then perhaps she was visited by an intruder of some type. Who knows? That kind of a vision quest is very personal in nature and it is up to the one who the searching to take the initial step in determining their answer. Nothing will be given unless it is earned first. That's my opinion
                        "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cerise333 View Post
                          may I ask a question are there any totems that aren't animal like? its just that the other day a girl I found in another forum online said she had done an exercise to find her totem and she did not see an animal but rather another type of being that was very shiny and had a dif form... cant remember the details right now but does anyone know bout anything like that???
                          you know humans are animals too

Comment

Originally posted by leila View Post
                            interesting. perhaps it is this way. i've wondered, as you can feel very connected to one animal for a while, and then another seems more like your power animal. maybe it does change?
                            Yes, this is my experience and understanding. Some totems, like Hawk, are more likely to stay a while, some more likely to stay for a cycle as it is their nature. Absolutely though there are different animals which are core at different times-- imho not only one power animal though certain totems may be very close to our heart/ essence.

And when we have different soulwork to do we can invite these different animals to be with us. The more time I spend in nature the more animal help I have been fortunate to receive.

Comment

yes thats how i think it is, one main animal for a time...and that changes, and also different animals that come and go as messengers/ medicine.

just this morning i was watching this hawk. theres a lot of them around here. but one this morning was totally circling me real close, looking over the yard while i was outside.
                              ~many hands make the work light~

Comment

Working...
                              X