Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialYour first GroupYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Heightened Senses

This is a curiosity for me; my first study if you will. Scientists are discovering people with heightened senses. The most common you'll probably hear about are super tasters; that is, they have more than the average amount of taste buds, and can therefore make a finer distinction between tastes, and tetrachromacy; when the individual possess four color-receiving cones as opposed to the usual three, and therefore claim to see more obvious differences in color than others. Most scientists attribute this to evolution, so it would stand to reason that indigos, if we are next in the evolutionary process and not just a fluke of nature, would report a higher rate of heightened senses.

I personally can smell and taste much finer than others, and I might have a slight increase in my hearing sense. I'm not sure about sight. I don't know if touch is changing as well, but I personally don't experience it, except that I'm colder easier, though this is likely due to my small frame.

This ad goes away when you register.

I'm just curious if anyone else has every noticed that they can maybe see or hear better than their peers, or have any heightened senses at all, psychic abilities aside.
    "There is pleasure in the pathless woods; There is rapture on the lonely shore; There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and music in it's roar; I love not man the less, but nature more." Lord Byron

√-1
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I can hear things that are very far away, I can hear cell phones ringing before the person realizes their phone is ringing. I can see the slightest movement in the leaves, see a tiny bug that no one else notices, colors are vivid to me. I can seperate many different smells, and can easily detect malicious odors. Tactile-wise, I have rhenaud's phenomenon (my fingers, toes, nose, and ears are super sensitive to the cold). I think tastes are about normal for me, but I'm not sure...I am picky with food, more with it's texture than it's taste.

Official Supporter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Verumi View Post
    I can hear things that are very far away, I can hear cell phones ringing before the person realizes their phone is ringing. I can see the slightest movement in the leaves, see a tiny bug that no one else notices, colors are vivid to me. I can seperate many different smells, and can easily detect malicious odors.
    Ditto!!

I freak myself out sometimes cuz i notice the most un-noticeable things.
    "I don't mind not being able 2 explain the multitude of things I experience. I'm just happy 2 be experiencing them..the alternative is not so interesting." - Everything Is Ok Hidden Content

Old Soul
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    hmm well this is interesting... I've always had really good eye sight and I usually hear more than other people but I've always thought that was just because I was more observant and open, aware I guess.

But the touch thing that really caught my attention. Ever since I remember I've had a 'heightened touch'

To me there is more than just the feelings like velvet soft, or silk smooth there is an actual sort of energy difference I can perceive through touch. Sometimes the energy is actually more overpowering than the actual feel of the stuff.

Touching other people is kind of odd for me and I usually don't touch other's skin unless I'm very close to them. It just seems very intrusive to touch someone's energy...

Sometimes I can also see this energy but only when I'm in a sort of connected state...
    I never really thought about how things felt different to me when I touched them until I was talking about it to a friend who is an interior design major. They asked me to touch some fabric and tell them how it felt and I told them well it feels very light and energetic. This confused them, they didn't know how a fabric could feel energetic so I had to explain how things feel to me and I guess it was different than the norm.
    You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid ~ Lights

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    VeteranVeteran1000 Experience Points1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I have some kind of weird scent-synesthesia; does that count? It's like I smell different days of the year; events, but not necessarily "pine for Christmas, pumpkin and smoke for Halloween," etc. Seems like maybe I'm percieving energy as scent, because days can smell like what they aren't (mid-November can smell like the first day of summer vacation, for example).

I also see the air moving if I focus hard enough; read somewhere that this is seeing energy...?
    ---
    My care is like my shadow, laid bare beneath the sun...

√-1
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealdwyn View Post
    I have some kind of weird scent-synesthesia; does that count? It's like I smell different days of the year; events, but not necessarily "pine for Christmas, pumpkin and smoke for Halloween," etc. Seems like maybe I'm percieving energy as scent, because days can smell like what they aren't (mid-November can smell like the first day of summer vacation, for example).

I also see the air moving if I focus hard enough; read somewhere that this is seeing energy...?
    Do you see particles/static/sparks/swirls/dots? A bunch of people were talking about that on a thread a while ago, I see it too. I think the concensus was that it was energy. I'll have to see if I can dig that up and link it for you, if you'd like.

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialYour first GroupYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhaze View Post
    But the touch thing that really caught my attention. Ever since I remember I've had a 'heightened touch'

To me there is more than just the feelings like velvet soft, or silk smooth there is an actual sort of energy difference I can perceive through touch. Sometimes the energy is actually more overpowering than the actual feel of the stuff.

Touching other people is kind of odd for me and I usually don't touch other's skin unless I'm very close to them. It just seems very intrusive to touch someone's energy...

Sometimes I can also see this energy but only when I'm in a sort of connected state...
    I never really thought about how things felt different to me when I touched them until I was talking about it to a friend who is an interior design major. They asked me to touch some fabric and tell them how it felt and I told them well it feels very light and energetic. This confused them, they didn't know how a fabric could feel energetic so I had to explain how things feel to me and I guess it was different than the norm.
    That's very very cool! Reminds me of kirlian photography. I suppose it does make sense that we, as people, could develop the ability to literally feel the energy of something. It's not so unusual to to a degree, but this is very hightened, and the seeing it could almost be a psychic thing, or maybe just an eye thing. That's very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealdwyn View Post
    I was actually going to ask if anybody was a synesthete, but I really didn't know if that qualified with "heightened senses", and plus I forgot. I think synesthesia is extremely fascinating, and smell-synesthesia is very rare; usually it's color-synesthesia. Does the synesthesia irritate you ever, or interfere with other, physical scents or tastes?

Thanks all for replying.
    "There is pleasure in the pathless woods; There is rapture on the lonely shore; There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and music in it's roar; I love not man the less, but nature more." Lord Byron

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thanks
    Actually most of my senses suck. I have a hearing loss, wear glasses, I chose to stop using my sense of smell which has affected my ability to taste and so all that is left is my sense of touch, which is pretty decent compared to my other senses.
    Hidden Content
    Pain, the constant of all beings, attachment the Evil entangler, truth is the sword, behold those who are Free

Official Supporter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 944 Posts
    I have an ability to transfer emotion and images / memories when in a highly emotional state or when letting go of pent up pain via touch. I don't know how many people I can do it with because I haven't exactly tried to do it, it just sort of happens but when someone comforts me and I feel safe I can transfer my experience/pain to them so they can understand my pain. I guess it's an ability that comes with empathy. Likewise if I feel really good I can transfer this also. Lately I haven't even needed to touch people to do this. In fact the kids in the kindergarten often come up and touch me and get that energy and they run amok. LOL, I wasn't too popular with the teachers after that as I apparently "amped" the kids up.
    "There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all." - Anonymous
    The Infinite Strength of Spirit empowers the Will to embrace the Beauty of Change - Patryc
    "If I distrust the human being, then I must cram her with information of my own choosing lest she go her own mistake way. But if I trust the capacity of the human individual for developing, then I can provide her with many opportunities and permit her to choose her own way and her own directions in learning." - Rogers & Freiberg, 1994, p. 160

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Official Supporter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Level
    Thanks
    I am not so great at verbally doing this so I guess touch is my preferred medium.
    "There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all." - Anonymous
    The Infinite Strength of Spirit empowers the Will to embrace the Beauty of Change - Patryc
    "If I distrust the human being, then I must cram her with information of my own choosing lest she go her own mistake way. But if I trust the capacity of the human individual for developing, then I can provide her with many opportunities and permit her to choose her own way and her own directions in learning." - Rogers & Freiberg, 1994, p. 160

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Lol this is cool ^_^ I have a heightened hearing, like I can hear the high pitch of house alarms or store alarms and I can hear my cell phone ringing from pretty much anywhere in our house. My sight is good as is my taste, I had never really thought about my taste before. My sense of smell is prolly better but not like uber amazing (I think). My touch is pretty heightened though, like my hearing. I love texture and I can feel the energy in things, not just people, I'll play with my cards sometimes and have one be past, one be present and one be future. Then I see what kind of energy they have in them when I assign them as such, lol, it's fun.

So ya, hearing and touch for me, maybe smell, not too sure on that one.

Old Soul
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patryc View Post
    I am not so great at verbally doing this so I guess touch is my preferred medium.
    hmm in a perfect world... we could communicate like that... I often feel confined by words and verbal language... I've been trying hard with love to get to a point where we can communicate in a non verbal way like you explained and we are making progress, a lot of our communication is now nonverbal, it is sort of just like open sharing...

I often feel people don't like this much, it seems intrusive so I only try it on people that know me well and understand a bit.

Animals seem to respond well to it.

I prefer this way to words too but it's rare to find people that don't mind it and also are open enough to try it.
    You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid ~ Lights

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    This is a curiosity for me; my first study if you will. Scientists are discovering people with heightened senses. The most common you'll probably hear about are super tasters; that is, they have more than the average amount of taste buds, and can therefore make a finer distinction between tastes, and tetrachromacy; when the individual possess four color-receiving cones as opposed to the usual three, and therefore claim to see more obvious differences in color than others. Most scientists attribute this to evolution, so it would stand to reason that indigos, if we are next in the evolutionary process and not just a fluke of nature, would report a higher rate of heightened senses.

I personally can smell and taste much finer than others, and I might have a slight increase in my hearing sense. I'm not sure about sight. I don't know if touch is changing as well, but I personally don't experience it, except that I'm colder easier, though this is likely due to my small frame.

I'm just curious if anyone else has every noticed that they can maybe see or hear better than their peers, or have any heightened senses at all, psychic abilities aside.

WOW...so funny you should mention. LOL all of my senses have always been heightened, I never made a connection with it being related. I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts...so fascinating!

1) Sight...just recently I got a minor scratch on my cornea (OUCH) soooo...I went to the doctor who checked my eyes and my eyesight. After saying that I had a really unusual eye color (LOL) he reported that even with the minor scratch, my eyesight’s “unbelievable…off the charts.” I am the definitely the "black sheep" of the family and the only one that does not need glasses.

2) Smell... I can treasure the most beautiful scents and even one's that seem slight to others are potent to me. But...yikes this one is a double edged sword. Just like I can smell beautiful flowers afar off with all their potency, I can also sense the...um...well (gags)rather unpleasant one's too.

3) Touch...yes, I am really sensitive to touch, and I’m really starting to be able to feel the energy of things. Right now I am able to perceive electric energy in terms of temperature. Just the other night (I was feeling really cold) I touched my computer screen to adjust it when I suddenly felt a rush of warmth going into that hand and radiating through me. Surprised I quickly pulled my hand back but, TOO LATE the computer crashed. Later on, I somehow managed to reboot it...feeling a lot warmer, and a bit freaked out.

4)Hearing...yes, I have pretty sensitive ears, When ever a phone is lost I am the one that has to go find it (rolls eyes) LOL.

5)TASTE...yes, yes, yes! I have very sensitive taste buds and can taste almost every ingredient in one bite. Fancy restaurants are often shocked (or angry, I don't know which) when I easily decode "secret recipes" (grin). I am also (like many of you) really picky. I love fresh and organic things!

6) The sixth sense...I know I don't need to go into this sense, you all know what it's like!

Banned
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post

thats interesting, I can do that too, smelling a cigg from 200 ft away and usually knowing what brand it is, I can smell a burp and tell what people ate, I can smell a persons shampoo or deodorant from way way way off and tell usually what kind they use, when I eat i have to have like 6 bottles of stuff on the table to spice it up, 2 different kinds of hot peppers, 2 different types of drinks when I eat, I can smell what kind of fabric softeneer a person uses on their clothes or what kind of soap they use in the shower or cologne or aftershave etc etc...its pretty cool... along with 20/20 vision or better and eyes like a hawk at night, different hues than normal I see stuff like that

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I have what is known as synesthesia. I have very heightened senses that often are connected to each other. Smells trigger tastes, numbers are associated with colors, music has auras, words and letter and names etc have colors as well. You should look it up, its said to be rare but they are discovering many more people with it. Mine is not amazing, it is just normal to me. Some people's synesthesia is much stronger than mine, mine is often subconcious because it has been with me since i was born, some people develop it later in life so they notice it much more. There are many different types of it, and im sure at least everyone has some kind of form of it.. i just happen to have many and heightened types, no it doesnt affect my everyday living and its not miraculous to me haha its just how i am, i rarely notice it. its just how my mind perceives and thinks. eeeek.

Just a few Personal Examples:
    The word "Buck Cherry" makes me feel sick and almost vomit. eww i even hated typing it.
    The word "Kardashian" (like Kim Kardashian) makes me taste thinly sliced almonds in my mouth grinding on my teeth ???
    The smell of paint makes me see light purple and feel like its summer time.
    The Name Ryan is blue with a different shade of blue aura around it
    The song Bubbly by Colbie Callait is yellow/orange
    The letter A is red
    The number 3 is blue, seven is green, six is pink
    Wednesdays are blue.

just to give you an example

Neuroscience for Kids - Synesthesia
    Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Synesthetic Experience
    Last edited by *~i GlOw 0F iNdIgO~*; 12-10-2008 at 12:00 AM.
    "..although I'd like to join the crowd, in their enthusiastic cloud, try as I may it doesn't last."-Sally's song.
    "Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing .ALONE."

Official Supporter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverhaze View Post
    hmm in a perfect world... we could communicate like that... I often feel confined by words and verbal language... I've been trying hard with love to get to a point where we can communicate in a non verbal way like you explained and we are making progress, a lot of our communication is now nonverbal, it is sort of just like open sharing...

I often feel people don't like this much, it seems intrusive so I only try it on people that know me well and understand a bit.

Animals seem to respond well to it.

I prefer this way to words too but it's rare to find people that don't mind it and also are open enough to try it.
    I agree, not many people can handle it. Thus I try to contain myself. It's not easy however, completely unnatural to me. It tends to sadden me greatly. I understand why people are like this however. It due to all the childhood conditioning. Parents giving children physical things, gifts etc, instead of affection and attention thus people really don't understand how to deal with open affection anymore.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Official Supporter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    ya my smell is very sensitive too, it does however get desensitized when exposed to a smell for a long period of time as do all humans.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by *~i GlOw 0F iNdIgO~* View Post
    I have what is known as synesthesia. I have very heightened senses that often are connected to each other. Smells trigger tastes, numbers are associated with colors, music has auras, words and letter and names etc have colors as well. You should look it up, its said to be rare but they are discovering many more people with it. Mine is not amazing, it is just normal to me. Some people's synesthesia is much stronger than mine, mine is often subconcious because it has been with me since i was born, some people develop it later in life so they notice it much more. There are many different types of it, and im sure at least everyone has some kind of form of it.. i just happen to have many and heightened types, no it doesnt affect my everyday living and its not miraculous to me haha its just how i am, i rarely notice it. its just how my mind perceives and thinks. eeeek.

Just a few Personal Examples:
    The word "Buck Cherry" makes me feel sick and almost vomit. eww i even hated typing it.
    The word "Kardashian" (like Kim Kardashian) makes me taste thinly sliced almonds in my mouth grinding on my teeth ???
    The smell of paint makes me see light purple and feel like its summer time.
    The Name Ryan is blue with a different shade of blue aura around it
    The song Bubbly by Colbie Callait is yellow/orange
    The letter A is red
    The number 3 is blue, seven is green, six is pink
    Wednesdays are blue.

just to give you an example

Neuroscience for Kids - Synesthesia
    Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Synesthetic Experience
    WOW! Thank you so much for sharing...I told a teacher once when I was like 5, about the way I see things...and they thought I was making it all up. They said, "no…that's impossible no one thinks like that." What you wrote is really like a missing puzzle piece for me...I have always thought this way e.g.

>A is red for me too.
    >The number 8 (Some have personalities...what can I say) is a good singer and is purple.
    >Sunday=yellow, Monday=blue, Tuesday=green and so on...
    >Tori Amos's Spark starts at a pale blue and goes down the color spectrum all the way to crimson where it ends.
    > The name "Max" has a green shade around it.
    > Everything I smell has a certain taste.
    >and so on

I never knew that there is a name for this. I realized early on that most did not see things this way, and have been holding it like a secret treasure. How did you find this out about yourself? Was there some kind of test? How could I know for sure if I really do have a form of synesthesia?

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LightGirl View Post
    WOW! Thank you so much for sharing...I told a teacher once when I was like 5, about the way I see things...and they thought I was making it all up. They said, "no…that's impossible no one thinks like that." What you wrote is really like a missing puzzle piece for me...I have always thought this way e.g.

>A is red for me too.
    >The number 8 (Some have personalities...what can I say) is a good singer and is purple.
    >Sunday=yellow, Monday=blue, Tuesday=green and so on...
    >Tori Amos's Spark starts at a pale blue and goes down the color spectrum all the way to crimson where it ends.
    > The name "Max" has a green shade around it.
    > Everything I smell has a certain taste.
    >and so on

I never knew that there is a name for this. I realized early on that most did not see things this way, and have been holding it like a secret treasure. How did you find this out about yourself? Was there some kind of test? How could I know for sure if I really do have a form of synesthesia?
    you're welcome love. I was hoping it would reach out to someone!! haha. Well you could see a neurologist or maybe even a psychotherapist. I just know that I have it, there are tests online but there is no way that I don't have it, you just know. I think you do as well, yours sounds A LOT like mine. It is rarely diagnosed because theres nothing you can do about it.. but embrace it. I love it, it makes me different and creative! Just do some research and you will know.
    "..although I'd like to join the crowd, in their enthusiastic cloud, try as I may it doesn't last."-Sally's song.
    "Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing .ALONE."

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by *~i GlOw 0F iNdIgO~* View Post
    you're welcome love. I was hoping it would reach out to someone!! haha. Well you could see a neurologist or maybe even a psychotherapist. I just know that I have it, there are tests online but there is no way that I don't have it, you just know. I think you do as well, yours sounds A LOT like mine. It is rarely diagnosed because theres nothing you can do about it.. but embrace it. I love it, it makes me different and creative! Just do some research and you will know.

Thanks again. BTW…It is so nice to meet you, I am still relatively new. It feels great to have shared that with someone...that's the first time since that teacher thought I was nuts (LOL). It's amazing to hear about your experiences too, and I will definitely do some research. From what you know...are there different kinds of Synesthesia? I have a big thing with tastes, colors and sounds.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast