Fighting Depression

Everything related to Health and Healing. Information on ADD, ADHD, and more Indigo symptoms that are ignorantly treated.
Fighting Depression «  » by Indigo Dog
I spent a great part of my life battling with depression. I'm highly compassionate to others who are trying to just get through the day under the dark cloud that depression brings with it.

We discus it a lot here on IS. I'd like to offer some help, not as a profesional ( I'm not one,) but as a survivor. Feel free to vent, help, ask questions and encourage others on this thread. Together, I feel we can at the very least provide one another suppport.
Indigo Dog

«  » by Indigo Dog
Here are some basic tools to help.

Build a support team.
Make friends and family members( the positive ones) a part of your team to help get through the really dark times. Don't be afraid of being a burden. Reach out and ask for help. Have a close friend call and check up on you to see how you are doing and talk. Talking with people who care about you over a cup of coffee can really ease the sadness.

Journal.
Write it down. Keep a journal of how you are feeling. Not only is it cathartic to write it all down it an also serve as a tool for self discovery. It can give you in site to what is triggering your stress.

Walk in nature.
Any exercise is good. It helps the body release stress and build up levels of serotonin. Nature is especially good because of the calming environment and how it makes you take deep breaths.
Indigo Dog

«  » by h0bby1
i think depression has to do with repetition, routine, lack of new things etc
h0bby1

«  » by Indigo Dog
H0bby1 is right! Getting out and being challenged by new things.

Spontaneous Adventures.
Get out there and challenge yourself to do something that scares you a little. Expose yourself to new experiences, places and people.

Sunlight
Sunlight in small quantities will help your body function at it's best. you need sunlight to make vitamin D.

Resting your Mind or Meditation.
Practice meditation to slow and clear your mind. Stress can make your mind race and keep you in a state of constant fight or flight mode.
Indigo Dog

«  » by UntoldGlory
How do you cope with a lack of energy? I'm constantly tired and suffer from fatigue, aches and pains, etc. It's really ruining my quality of life my ability to function as a normal young adult. It's only 7:32 right now, and I feel like I should be in bed :-\
UntoldGlory

«  » by FlamingArrow
FlamingArrow

«  » by UntoldGlory
Too much, actually. My crappy job requires me to work outside for around five hours a day, and then I lift weights at home :-\
UntoldGlory

«  » by FlamingArrow
FlamingArrow

«  » by UntoldGlory
I suppose so. I've had four days of rest, though, and I don't think this level of fatigue is normal for a person my age. I have been under a lot of stress, though, so it's not entirely inexplicable.
UntoldGlory

«  » by h0bby1
do you eat correctly ? do you smoke ?
h0bby1

Depression and fatigue «  » by Indigo Dog
Depression and fatigue

UntoldGlory wrote:How do you cope with a lack of energy? I'm constantly tired and suffer from fatigue, aches and pains, etc. It's really ruining my quality of life my ability to function as a normal young adult. It's only 7:32 right now, and I feel like I should be in bed :-\

There are some thing you can do to give yourself an advantage. Here are some simple diet tips to give you more energy and lighter mood.

[b:154h9xf4]Eat breakfast.[/b:154h9xf4]
Giving your body the fuel it needs to face the day can help your mood and energy levels tremendously. Whole grain breads, bananas, oatmeal and citrus fruits all have vitamins and serotonin boosters. Take a multi vitamin that has folic acid, B-complex, and chromium picolinate included.

[b:154h9xf4]Eat Regularly.[/b:154h9xf4]
Don't sabotage yourself by skipping meals. Eat regularly to maintain your energy levels and balance out your attitude. Happy mood foods are baked potatoes, brown rice, leafy green vegetables, chicken, eggs, salmon, herring, walnuts and soybeans as well as tofu.

[b:154h9xf4]Processed is bad.[/b:154h9xf4]
You will be amazed how much sugar and refined carbs can make you crash and ruin your mood.

[b:154h9xf4]Slow Down.[/b:154h9xf4]
Sit for your meals. Take your time chewing and don't rush. Use your meal time to relax and decompress.
Indigo Dog

«  » by FlamingArrow
FlamingArrow

«  » by Indigo Dog
FlamingArrow wrote:Nice suggestions ID, I gave in to the munchies and picked up some mickey d's last night after weeks of not touching the stuff, and today i've felt pretty shitty all day, bleh

You have my sympathies. I confess to you my brethren, the Golden Arches are my last secret vice. I am a french fry whore.:p
Indigo Dog

«  » by FlamingArrow
FlamingArrow

«  » by sshenry
Untold -

energy is a tricky thing.

are you speaking of purely physical energy....or is it possible that some of the fatigue could be from a spiritual perspective? Sometimes as I'm sure you realize, internal problems and concerns manifest as physical problems.

In wich case all the good eating and exercise might not be able to help.
sshenry

«  » by Indigo Dog
Listening to uplifting music and dancing is good.
Indigo Dog

«  » by beautifulmind
There are particular yoga poses too that are good for depression - I've heard any pose with a chest opening action... see if I can find a pic...

sorry, weird pic, but that is the idea...shoulder blades pressed and chest out, spine straight or slightly convexed...
beautifulmind

«  » by Indigo Dog
beautifulmind wrote:There are particular yoga poses too that are good for depression - I've heard any pose with a chest opening action... see if I can find a pic...

[img:1vhylw0y]http://www.theholisticcare.com/Yoga%20Pics/Setubandhasana%20(Bridge%20Pose).jpg[/img:1vhylw0y]

sorry, weird pic, but that is the idea...shoulder blades pressed and chest out, spine straight or slightly convexed...

Cool.
Indigo Dog

«  » by lillies1978
beautifulmind wrote:There are particular yoga poses too that are good for depression - I've heard any pose with a chest opening action... see if I can find a pic...

[img:3uejm6oq]http://www.theholisticcare.com/Yoga%20Pics/Setubandhasana%20(Bridge%20Pose).jpg[/img:3uejm6oq]

wow...this is super interesting and makes so much sense, thanks for sharing this:)
lillies1978

«  » by lillies1978
Indigo Dog wrote:There are some thing you can do to give yourself an advantage. Here are some simple diet tips to give you more energy and lighter mood.

[b:1muwg0kw]Eat breakfast.[/b:1muwg0kw]
Giving your body the fuel it needs to face the day can help your mood and energy levels tremendously. Whole grain breads, bananas, oatmeal and citrus fruits all have vitamins and serotonin boosters. Take a multi vitamin that has folic acid, B-complex, and chromium picolinate included.

[b:1muwg0kw]Eat Regularly.[/b:1muwg0kw]
Don't sabotage yourself by skipping meals. Eat regularly to maintain your energy levels and balance out your attitude. Happy mood foods are baked potatoes, brown rice, leafy green vegetables, chicken, eggs, salmon, herring, walnuts and soybeans as well as tofu.

[b:1muwg0kw]Processed is bad.[/b:1muwg0kw]
You will be amazed how much sugar and refined carbs can make you crash and ruin your mood.

[b:1muwg0kw]Slow Down.[/b:1muwg0kw]
Sit for your meals. Take your time chewing and don't rush. Use your meal time to relax and decompress.

...i can attest that this makes a hell of a differences, i'm a bad eater kinda and when i sit down for breakfast(the one meal i tend to skip) my day goes a different direction;)

awesome thread Indigo Dog:)
lillies1978