Depression: Nature vs Nuture

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.

Depression: Nature vs Nuture

«  » by xandermalcom
This apparantly has been a battle for a long time, what do indigos think?

Depression in Nature: Things can happen that are so bad that a person is gauranteed to go into depression from it because of specifics about the person and specific traumas happening to them. Nature caused the depression.

Depression is Nutured: Everyone CHOOSES how to react to events happening to them. Someone could walk up to my family, stab them all in the chest and walk away and I do NOT need to feel negative (or otherwise) unless I choose to. Depression is a choice we made at a certain time but regardless of how "justified" that decision was, it was STILL A DECISION.

What do you think?

I vote nuture. I have been depressed and I choose to get out of it, and when I thought about it, I was choosing to brood the whole time.

peace out
devin
xandermalcom

I agree with you completely. Becoming depressed to me was a combination of boredom, not knowing what to do after I got rid of a stressful situation, and thinking that I would fail at life.
Charity

I can't be certain. I'm told by others who have had major depression that they absolutely are not able to snap out of it even though they'd like to, despite the measures they take to do so. If it were a matter of choice only, then exercise, very specific dietary changes, etc. might not make the big nonplacebo difference that they sometimes do. Changing one's circumstances can help if it's possible. I'm uncertain about saying more.
Lake

I feel it is both. Why should it be one or the other. You could have a genetic chemical imbalance and not be able to "buck up" and you could be experiencing frustration from your outside circumstances. It could also be a vicious cycle of bad luck, bad attitude, and bad genes.

I was given the definition of depression as being anger turned inward.

Once I stopped trying to please everybody else and started to follow my own desires the depression lifted a little. As I learned how to keep and hold personal boundaries the depression became a tool for me. It became an indicator of what areas of my life I needed to change.

I still have bouts of chemical depression. So, I recognize they have no real basis and I just ride them out, rest and focus on doing things that nurture my happiness.

Oh, this post is getting too long, sorry.
Indigo Dog

Blogs: 29

xxx
Lake

xxx
Lake

" wrote:I feel it is both. Why should it be one or the other. You could have a genetic chemical imbalance and not be able to "buck up" and you could be experiencing frustration from your outside circumstances. It could also be a vicious cycle of bad luck, bad attitude, and bad genes.

I was given the definition of depression as being anger turned inward.

Once I stopped trying to please everybody else and started to follow my own desires the depression lifted a little. As I learned how to keep and hold personal boundaries the depression became a tool for me. It became an indicator of what areas of my life I needed to change.

I still have bouts of chemical depression. So, I recognize they have no real basis and I just ride them out, rest and focus on doing things that nurture my happiness.

Oh, this post is getting too long, sorry.

You may be right but I am inclined to ultimately disagree, at least I must say a strong willed and disciplined person does not have to subject themselves to the "natural" reactions of the body.

Like if I was just walking and someone came up from behind me and then slapped me in the face and was looking angry at me. Naturally my body wants to get into fight or flight mode, my body wants to begin pumping adrenaline through my body in anticipation of the fight and so I can feel these chemicals inside of me and depending on whether I was the kind of guy that would run or fight, I would either get scared or angry.

But the choice to get angry, like I would in that situation, would have been a mental DECISION, one that after I choose would have OPENED THE FLOODGATES of chemicals to enter into my body for the fight.

But a person who has practiced the "turn the other cheek" policy throughout their life, therefore gaining discipline in this regard, would be able to stiffle their anger and act rightly.

So you may be right, the chemicals do sort of help us along feeling whatever we are going to feel, but I think that self mastery can and would overcome that natural reaction stage and decide what to do from the stimuli. As we lose our egos, our programmed selves, and stop labeling everything right away, we can get slapped in the face and decide whether or not to enjoy it. Perhaps it has been a while since something surprising and dynamic happened to you, the slap was then a good thing.

Then you could talk to the guy and thank him for slapping you as you haven't been more awake the entire week!

Discipline has nothing to do with intelligence so I do not wish to insult anyone who feels their emotions carrying them away on the slightest of whims. Self mastery is a biznatch, but ultimately necessary to reach our goals.

peace out
devin
xandermalcom

xxx
Lake

Ever read the book The Celestine prophecy?

One of the four ways people steal energy is called "Poor Me". People who are depressed tend to utilize this energy stealing technique the most. They want everyone to hear about how bad their life is and so we end up giving those depressed people this energy when we listen. The person talking about their horrible life FEELS that energy and craves it more and more. It becomes an addiction and I think since they found out how to get the energy, the end up staying depressed longer than they would have because people gave them that energy.

What people should do when noticing a "poor me" syndrom is encourage the individual to root themselves into the earth and accept energy from the universe. REGARDLESS of their circumstance, this is a good thing to point people towards. Because the universe has an infinite supply of energy to draw upon, the person who is depressed WILL be able to get the energy they need in their life. And I DO feel like it is my duty to help another one of my Selves find this true happiness. It would be wrong of me to simply encourage the cycle to continue without doing my part to show my love and point the person in the right direction.

peace out
devin
xandermalcom

I think it is in our design as humans (or even as mammals) to feel deep sadness when disconnected from a group or a family member.

But humans are even more complex and react with depression to a number of "losses" including loss of meaning in life. This can happen fairly easily in our society since it is very aggressive, individual and superficial.

So a person can be nurtured or nurture themselves towards the things that give peace or serenity. But there is a basic "depression" trigger in all of us.

And I think you also mentioned Xander that you recently stopped marijuana. Sometimes things can be masked by regular substance use. It may take time to readjust to getting your needs met.
bluewaterdance

Blogs: 4

I agree that depression is mainly caused by ourselves. After years of feeling constant depression, I finally came to realize (through the help of others) that my problem was perspective. I had the wrong perspective, or one that was inclined towards negative thinking. Simple thoughts that we think are harmless can actually tear us down over time.
something as simple as thinking "I'm not going to fail this test" as opposed to "I'm going to pass this test with flying colors" completely changes the focus of the thought and what the subconscious does with that thought. The first one is based around failure, and the second is based around success.

and chemical depression... I think it could be caused by years and years of having negative thoughts. and these could potentially rewire your brain. If we never give ourself reason to be happy and release the "happy brain chemicals" then our brain may just stop producing/accepting them... maybe, I should figure more out about what chemical depression is..
TheFreedomWithin

I do also agree that depression can be used as a tool. Now when I feel that way, I have learned to find out WHY I feel that way and work on the problem without dwelling on it.
TheFreedomWithin

xxx
Lake

xxx
Lake

Awesome post Lake, I completely agree with everything you have said.

I do not know how to help a self victimizing person out of it, I had dated this one girl who had legitimately horrible things happen to her in her youth. But she was a very active person and did things and was not closed off from people. She had progressed enough to open herself up to other people but she still held on to ALL of her drama and would constantly repeat it to the new people she met.

Of course if people did not pay attention than "genuine" tears and sadness would rip through her existence. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of to show her what she was doing but it seemed completely pointless and she did not change, instead we broke up.

I also agree that there are no drama consumed people on these forums, at least to my knowledge and I am grateful and continue to be grateful for the opportunity to communicate with self actualizing intellegent individuals such as yourselves.

peace out
devin
xandermalcom

xxx
Lake

There was one thing that helped my relationship with this girl, and with people with this kind of problem and that was developing new skills.

I like to do random events for entertainment and one day we decided to make our own kites. I had no idea how to do it, but I knew what I kite looked like so I figured it could not be that hard. We tried to make our kites and when we finished, THEY WORKED.

But that day was the important part, because that day not a SINGLE drama escaped her mouth, there was no boredom and so the two of us were able to share a sane moment of joy and happiness and fly two awesome kites.

I think that all people like to learn and so if you can instigate getting a dramatic person to learn a new skill whether one on one or in a group, they will find that their drama is not appropriate to the situation and they will simply enjoy doing to project.

I think that having these little happy moments where they did not need to be dramatic to enjoy their life is what will eventually get them to persue self improvement. But its just a theory, I dont know.

peace out
devin
xandermalcom