Sick Kitten Need good Vibes please

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.
Sick Kitten Need good Vibes please «  » by Dazed'nd'Confuzed
Guys ive got a kitten here and he's in a bad way. We found him on the lawn earlier on and he wasnt well.. He was moving around and eating a bit but he was sleeping a lot. So we thought he was gonna be ok. Now i can see he's got diahrria and is gone limp. He's obviously suffering and just seems really weak.

I know its worth a shot, could you send some good thoughts his way. His name is mittens. We dunno what happened him, he could have got hit by a car but probably unlikely.. maybe a grey crow or a mag pie got him.. its hard to know.

What can ya give a cat with diahria? Are they supposed to have that when their young?
Dazed'nd'Confuzed

«  » by Jes
<3 (((mittens))) <3

I really love that kitten.

Good luck :)

Jes
Jes

«  » by Astara
Awwww poor baby!!! *sends her healing strength and love to Mittens*

I will definitely be sending him some energy.

I dealt with a sick kitten about a year ago when the outside kitty (she's a stray) I would feed, got pregnant. She only had 1 kitten and it didn't do so well.

I feel bad because I think I intervened too much and I basically moved the kitten from where she was nursing it to a safer spot. She had it next to a cactus in a bed of ants kind of out in the open for birds to get it and stuff. I moved it to under the awning of our building and put out towels and a box and stuff. I left for a short bit and when I got back the kitten was gone and the stray kitty was back at my doorstep meowing. :( I have a lot of guilt about that still. :(

Yes, kittens can have diarrhea for various reasons. It's not normal per se but can be remedied. I used to work in vet clinics and we saw it often. Typically, it's b/c they either have parasites (worms or giardia - an intestinal parasite), have too rich of a diet, or their system is just so out of whack it's basically not functioning correctly. Mitten's probably needs fluids, you can shoot water down it's throat with a syringe (no needle) or if he'll drink get him to as much as he can take. Otherwise, I would recommend taking him to the dr so they can hook him up to an IV. You should also feed him either chicken or turkey (no red meat or fish right now) wet food mixed with a few drops of water and you might even warm it up in the microwave a bit b/c that makes it more pungent and cats like pungent things.

I have to stay it doesn't sound good. I would take him in for the IV but if it's too costly or you just don't want to risk moving him. Try getting liquids and a little soft food into him. Also kittens need to be warmer than we realize. Cats run about 101-103 degrees normally. If he's just resting, you might make a homemade warm pack by sticking a paper towel or washcloth in a zip lock baggy and zapping it in the microwave for about 20 seconds (make sure it's not scalding hot or burns you 'cause it'll burn him) then just gently rest this beside him.

I hope this helps! I'm sending Mittens tons of love and strength. <3
These users thanked the author Astara for the post:
Patryc (Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 am)
Rating: 7.14%

Astara

«  » by Jes
Astara wrote: I moved it to under the awning of our building and put out towels and a box and stuff. I left for a short bit and when I got back the kitten was gone and the stray kitty was back at my doorstep meowing. :( I have a lot of guilt about that still. :(

You sure the kitten wasn't picked up and moved to another place chosen by his mother?

Jes
Jes

«  » by Patryc
cosmic cuddles for kitty

he could have parasites

very common in cats / kittens ah yes looks like Astara agrees there - she has some good advice - the chicken or turkey is a good idea. If you can get a wormer for it try that. Make sure it has access to outside. Cat's tend to self medicate if they are ill. I know they eat grass to puke up stuff that shouldn't be in there.
Patryc

«  » by Astara
Hehehe thanks for the vote of confidence, Patryc. :) I try...I can sorta communicate with animals so I know some of what actually works for them.

I wouldn't give the baby de-wormer though until his dehydration is better from the diarrhea. You can pull up on cat's scruff of the neck and a dehydrated cat's skin will stick more together than a hydrated cat's skin. Makes sense our skin is like where most of our water is kept. Cat's are the same. I wouldn't give him any de-wormers or medicines to clear up the parasite until his fluid intake has been regulated and he's fully hydrated. His lethargy and gate will pick back up when he feels more hydrated.

Fluids, food, rest and then medicines.

*gives Mittens kitty nose kisses*

I hope he is doing better. <3[COLOR="Silver"]

[size=1:6jo0syux]---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------[/size:6jo0syux]

[/COLOR]
Jes wrote:You sure the kitten wasn't picked up and moved to another place chosen by his mother?

Jes

Yeah, she didn't leave the front porch area the whole night. :\ It was a harsh part of town, lots of loose dogs and cats and it was also the middle of a Texas summer so daytime temps above 100. I knew the baby didn't have much of a chance anyway. :( Meh....still though....I wish my bf at the time would have let me bring it in as I'm positive I could have nursed it back to health and Noisy could have stayed close to her baby too. Oh wellz....tis the circle of life. :(
Astara

«  » by meg
Thinking of mittens, sending good vibes!
meg

«  » by Clear Blue Sky
All kinds of raccoon diseases can affect kittens. . . I would get the kitten to a vet and checked out as soon as possible.

Incidentally, did you know that the purr vibrations of cats are believed by some to have healing frequencies in their own right?
These users thanked the author Clear Blue Sky for the post (total 2):
Patryc (Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:07 am) • Astara (Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:15 am)
Rating: 14.29%

Clear Blue Sky

«  » by Patryc
I agree with the purring

give your kitty lots of pets
Patryc

«  » by Grandma Lola
Remember kitties have 9 lives maybe she's only on 6 or 8.
Sending love and healing.
Grandma Lola