Healing through dance

Everything related to Health and Healing. Information on ADD, ADHD, and more Indigo symptoms that are ignorantly treated.
I'm going to focus on belly dance; it will be nice to see more information and experiences of other forms of dance relating them to healing.

Healing Through Belly Dancing
by Nadiyah Vahdahty

Life’s many experiences can produce unsavory effects on the body. Some ailments, like muscular and joint pain, intestinal disorders, and headaches, may be quickly curtailed by following a strict diet and taking vitamins, minerals, and herbs. Others ailments, however, such as carpal tunnel and pinched nerves, have been known to vanish once one regularly practices the art of Belly Dancing.

How it is possible that something as pleasurable as belly dancing could provide us with such a healing touch? Here are a few possibilities of how Belly Dancing restores the mind, body, and spirit:

* By focusing on specific moves in relation to the music, we forget about our everyday life stresses. Thus, our mind takes a mini-vacation while we dance.

* By becoming an expression of the music, we absorb the natural healing qualities of sound.

* By creating new neurological connections to perform particular moves, like a hand undulation, we strengthen our brain and its ability to communicate with the body.

* By exercising regularly, our body is more conditioned and the immune system is stimulated. The health benefits increase when our practices include twenty minutes of fast-faced movements.

* By working areas we normally hold tension, such as the shoulders, lower back, and hips, we are releasing the tensions of the day. By performing snake arms, shoulder slides, hip slides, and other applicable moves, the previously tensed-up areas are more able to function as originally designed.

* By dancing with our arms, our different energy centers (also known as chakras) are attuned. Similar to Tai Chi, Belly Dance offers a balancing benefit to the body’s overall energy system. Circling arm movements pull energy into our body while linear arm movements sweep excesses out of the overflowing areas. By balancing the uneven energy flows, the body is more able to replenish itself.

* By practicing an ancient art, we tune into and learn about other cultures. Our increased knowledge enables us to be more accepting of the diverse belief systems and ways of life. By being more accepting of others,’ potential conflicts are minimized or even eliminated.

* By dancing with others, our spirit is replenished. We develop a sense of belonging to a supportive community. In turn, we become a support system for others.

* By dancing with other women, we become more accepting of other women and enjoy who they are. In turn, we relax and enjoy who we are as well. What had been previously held as threatening – feminity -- has now become a true blessing.

Be aware of the great blessings in your life and how Belly Dancing has assisted in the creation and/or developments of these blessings. And by all means, share them with your fellow dancers. If you like, share them with me as well.

Blessings,
Nadiyah

Healing through Belly Dance

Healing Through Oriental Dance:
Part 2, Emotional Healing
by Shira

People first sample Oriental dance (often called belly dancing) for a variety of reasons: new friends, a new hobby, a new way to exercise, a chance to explore their sensuous side, etc. But they often stay for other reasons. And one of the reasons that some people stay with it is because it brings them healing. We all occasionally need healing of one kind or another: sometimes it's emotional, sometimes it's physical. Oriental dance is a unique pursuit that can bring both kinds of healing to those who embrace it. This 2-part series explores how Oriental dance can contribute to the healing process:

1. Part 1 of Healing Through Oriental Dance, explores how the dance form can help eliminate pain, speed recovery from injuries, and contribute to overall physical health.Healing Through Oriental Dance: Part 1, Physical Healing
2. This article, Part 2, addresses how Oriental dance can promote emotional healing from such deep-rooted issues as bulimia, breast cancer's psychic scars, and rape or sexual abuse.

Releasing Tension

There's a limit to what psychiatrists and counselors can do when working with patients who have deep emotional issues. Although drug therapy and talk therapy can be very helpful, these professionals are most effective when they can help patients unlock inner tools to heal themselves.

Movement, particularly if repetitive, can sometimes help release inner tensions. The zar is an ancient ritual from the Middle East that is used to perform a cathartic sort of emotional healing or "exorcism" on behalf of someone, usually a woman, who has been possessed. Although technically forbidden by Islam, it continues to be an essential part of some cultures. It appears mostly in Egypt, Sudan, Somalia, and Ethiopia. In Tunisia, it is called stambali. The accompaniment to the zar consists of strong drum rhythms, each being specific to a certain spirit. A critical part of the zar is finding the rhythm required to drive out the particular spirit possessing the individual. Sometimes the zar leader sacrifices a chicken, pigeon, sheep, or other animal as part of the ritual.

Of course, most of us don't have access to zar experts or sacrificial sheep, so we need to seek alternative ways of using movement to heal. Just plain belly dancing can play a role in releasing our barriers to emotional health. Dancers have reported that their art form has helped them to either recover or prevent relapses from emotional struggles tied to:

* Breast cancer surgery
* Bulimia
* Rape and/or sexual abuse

So far as I know, there has not been any academic research on the subject of Oriental dance in particular as a tool for emotional healing, although the counseling profession does recognize dance therapy (not specifically tied to Oriental dance) as a valid area of specialty. Still, you generally don't have to look very far to hear anecdotal stories about how specific individuals have found healing through Oriental dance.

Real People, Real Benefits

Rape & Sexual Abuse

Lucy Lipschitz, whose web site addresses how belly dancing has helped her emotional recovery from rape and threatened murder, reports, "Over the years, as I have danced, I am slowly getting over basic issues about having a woman’s body." She had been stalked by a man who found her "irresistible", and afterward she was shocked to find she wasn't believed because she was a female. The horror of that experience led her to self-destructive behavior such as drugs and illicit sex.

She initially took up belly dancing when still a teen-ager, and at the same time fell into a wild lifestyle. The dance became her passion, her only reason to live. In fact, she made it through some suicidal episodes by clinging to her classes and the occasional performance opportunity. Life then took her in other directions for a time, but 20 years after wandering away from belly dancing, she came back to it. By then, she had managed to overcome her self-destructive lifestyle through the help of a 12-step program, and was successfully embracing a new life of sobriety. The dance taught her to love her body, and helped her understand that every size is a good size. She now reports, "The more I dance, the more centered I am."

Cheryl (not her real name) was sexually abused as a child. She started belly dancing around age 20. Although she started dancing because she loved dancing, she found it helped her recover from the need to hide her body from attack, from the terrible vulnerability she felt whenever she was at all attractive.

Bulimia

Mary (not her real name) struggled with bulimia for 4 years as a teen-ager. Although she began doing Oriental dance after her recovery, she has found that the dance has helped her maintain her healthy attitude through a number of ways. She found it eye-opening to see many beautiful, full-figured, over-40 women at home in their curvaceous bodies, and realized the media's standard of beauty isn't the only legitimate one. Dance has put her in touch with what her body wants. It also serves as a meditation for her, exorcising the demons and stress of everyday living. The dance has also helped her discover a social network of women who accept different cultures and possess an inner strength. She summarizes what the dance has done for her as follows: "In short, Middle Eastern dance makes me happy. And when I am happy, engaging in self-destructive behavior is the furthest thing from my mind.I am more content with my body image now than I've ever been in my life. Discovering this dance form has been a true blessing."

A video from Filmakers Library titled Belly: Overcoming Bulimia tells the story of Katherine Bruce Laing's struggle with bulimia. Eventually, she joined a belly dancing class and through watching her classmates discovered that even a full-figured body can be beautiful through the sensuous moves of this dance form. While performing for friends and family in her first belly dance recital, she experienced an epiphany and discovered that she could love her own body.

Coping With Breast Cancer

Carol originally started to belly dance just for recreation. Some years later, she suffered botched reconstructive surgery following a mastectomy for breast cancer. She observed, "Dancing for myself only and listening to and really feeling the music made me feel so much a woman again. The rhythm and the movements are so feminine that they couldn't help but help me heal. I was even able to make my now-ex think of me as sexy once again." Then severe injuries from a bad car accident forced three years of surgeries and inactivity on her. She started belly dancing again for exercise and weight loss. Again, it helped her heal. She said, "It is almost inexplicable - unless to others like you who share the joy and love of the dance and music - how it makes you feel a oneness, a wholeness, almost a completeness that is so therapeutic and so self-healing to both the mind and soul, and therefore also the body."

In the Belly Dancer Breast Cancer Survey on her web site, Diana DeMille reports that 85% of the respondents said yes to the question, "Do you feel belly dancing is healing?" One of the people who responded said, "Belly dancing restores physical, emotional and spiritual health to the cancer survivor. It has great exercise value, gets those 'feel good' endomorphines stirring, enhances the results of the range of motion exercises. It helps you feel better about yourself. In most cases it brings you a special bond with other dancers whether they are cancer survivors or not. And it expresses your joy, gratefulness and celebration that you are alive!"

Inner Strength For Physical Recovery

Natasya suffered a horrible back injury at work. She used yoga to regain her range of motion, but it was her love of dance that gave her a reason to work toward a full recovery. Sometimes she would even lie flat on her back on the floor and practice finger cymbals! Despite her doctor's predictions, she recovered to the point where once again she can perform professionally.

Before Dunya's whiplash injury, she was very athletic. In addition to dancing, she worked out at the gym 4-5 times per week. The injury robbed her of these activities that were an important part of her life. She was still able to play Middle Eastern music with her band, but her activity level was curtailed. A few weeks later, her band played for a troupe performance, then moved on to music for everyone to get up and dance. Dunya reports, "I slipped onto the floor to move a bit, and found myself surrounded by beautiful, undulating women with soft smiles and shining eyes. They were obviously sending me their love and support for my healing. I was very touched by the experience, and I will always remember the fantastic feeling of being in the center of that circle of dancers."

Depression

Gamila in Brazil says, "Last year I was very depressed, went to the hospital, had to take medicines, but dancing was the main thing that made me become healthy again."

Scylla from Oregon emerged from childhood with such low self-esteem that she avoided most social interactions. Eventually depression led her to the brink of suicide. One evening, while doing ceramics at a local art center, she heard wonderful music coming from elsewhere in the building and followed the sound. Upon finding the belly dancing class in progress, she was enthralled by the music, the costumes, and the personalities of the three teachers, all named Judy.

Scylla recalled, "The dance class helped me to explore physically the places in myself my psychologist (another wonderful woman) led me to explore emotionally. In therapy I was learning that I had to love myself, and to listen to my own needs and feelings and value them. In trying to dance I discovered I did not love myself, and much of my pain came from my own anger towards, and dislike for, myself. Slowly, painfully I began to enjoy moving to the music. I allowed myself to move and discovered I could like my body in movement; that it was strong and limber and could "fly" when I did not freeze up with rejection of self. The dance was a place where I had no history to haunt me. It was entirely new, and gave me a chance at beginning all over again to grow up and explore and learn who I was; just like a child just starting out. Dance is a gift that I received from from three women which literally saved my life." For Scylla, the "three Judys" brought to mind the triple goddess of ancient tradition who presided over her initiation into a new and joyous life.

Maintaining Well Being

Mishaal, a dancer in Japan, reports, "I certainly feel that dancing contributes to my physical, psychological, and spiritual health. At times it's been for healing, but mostly I think of it more as ongoing preventive health care. I can say for certain, when I don't take some time away for myself to dance, I do start to feel sick. I don't mean performing, or even 'practicing'. I mean taking a little time each day to dance for 'me'. It's not that I do it 'for my health', but because it does feel so good! When I'm in need of answers, psychological or spiritual, I dance, and I feel the healthy answers come to me from, I can say, a higher source."

Healing Through Oriental Dance: Part 2, Emotional Healing

More articles:

Belly dance helped women to heal from grief reaction to miscarriage

Belly Dancing As Healing Dance: Archives

Belly Dance and Healing from Sexual Trauma

Lucy writes about sexual trauma for the Gilded Serpent

Mini Documentary:

Tribal Belly Dance: Body Power for women. Documentary with Robin Johnson of Troupe Melangees, Marjhani and Oojahm about Tribal belly dance and how empowering it is for women of all shapes, sizes, colors, ages and cultures. Part 1 introduces you to the dancers and their love of the dance, and with comments on body-size issues and how belly dance is powerfully dealing with sexualization, objectification, and body image issues for women.

YouTube - Troupe Melangees LoveBellydance1

YouTube - Troupe Melangees LoveBellydance2
Amethyst

by Patryc
awesome post Ame

cosmic cuddles
Patryc

Cool, thanks for all the info on this. I've heard lots of good things about belly dancing, and have wanted to do classes. One thing has stopped me, and that is scoliosis. I have this, as well as one leg shorter than the other (thankfully it's not noticable). I often have pain in my lower back. But I'm thinking that belly dancing would help strengthen my back. Am I right? Or should I get drs clearance before embarking on something like this?
moonlitmeadows

by Patryc
yup get some MSM too, that will help you with the scoliosis which I believe is calcification too.
Patryc

What's MSM? And scoliosis is actually curviture (sp?) of the spine, which probably does lead to calcification. My dr reckons I have the beginnings of arthritis there. I can't do half the stuff I used to, which really sucks. I want to get myself back into a position where I can do the things I used to do, and I believe I can.

[QUOTE=Patryc;557748]yup get some MSM too, that will help you with the scoliosis which I believe is calcification too.[/QUOTE]
moonlitmeadows

by Patryc
http://indigosociety.com/decalcification-alchemical-sulphur-use-dmso-msm-t25947/

it is organic / alchemical sulphur. If you can't get it or afford it, use raw garlic or add it to your live juices. This will dissolve calcification as well. You can find it in your local health food store. Most of the good ones have it.
Patryc

[QUOTE=moonlitmeadows;557743]Cool, thanks for all the info on this. I've heard lots of good things about belly dancing, and have wanted to do classes. One thing has stopped me, and that is scoliosis. I have this, as well as one leg shorter than the other (thankfully it's not noticable). I often have pain in my lower back. But I'm thinking that belly dancing would help strengthen my back. Am I right? Or should I get drs clearance before embarking on something like this?[/QUOTE]

yes Iv'e read that belly dancing is really good for strengthening the back.

Have you heard of callan pickney? She has scoliosis, does not do belly dance though, but practiced ballet for years and created an exercise method called callentics
Callanetics : About Us

I think it would be fine for you to belly dance, but probably best to talk to an experienced instructor, or doctor, first.

Sinse I was very young (in my ealry teens) I have had this certain pain/stiffness in my lower back (left side) and belly dance does help with that, sometimes it feels nice getting a nice stretch or (muscle) massage when doing some of the moves!
Amethyst

by Patryc
[QUOTE=moonlitmeadows;557758]What's MSM? And scoliosis is actually curviture (sp?) of the spine, which probably does lead to calcification. My dr reckons I have the beginnings of arthritis there. I can't do half the stuff I used to, which really sucks. I want to get myself back into a position where I can do the things I used to do, and I believe I can.[/QUOTE]

Falun Dafa may help you with your scholiosis straightening, I heard a story about a women who did it for ages and she had it really bad, she couldn't even look up, her head was hunched downwards and then one day while she was doing it an almighty crack was heard and her back straightened. I have experienced some significant heat and vibration at my lower back where I had an old injury and I believe the falun dafa was working on this. Check my sig for more info about it (Truth, Compassion and Forbearance).
Patryc

[QUOTE=Amethyst;557778]yes Iv'e read that belly dancing is really good for strengthening the back.

Have you heard of callan pickney? She has scoliosis, does not do belly dance though, but practiced ballet for years and created an exercise method called callentics
Callanetics : About Us

I think it would be fine for you to belly dance, but probably best to talk to an experienced instructor, or doctor, first.

Sinse I was very young (in my ealry teens) I have had this certain pain/stiffness in my lower back (left side) and belly dance does help with that, sometimes it feels nice getting a nice stretch or (muscle) massage when doing some of the moves![/QUOTE]

I've heard of Callanetics. Shall go and have a look at that link. Thanks so much.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

[/COLOR][QUOTE=Patryc;557834]Falun Dafa may help you with your scholiosis straightening, I heard a story about a women who did it for ages and she had it really bad, she couldn't even look up, her head was hunched downwards and then one day while she was doing it an almighty crack was heard and her back straightened. I have experienced some significant heat and vibration at my lower back where I had an old injury and I believe the falun dafa was working on this. Check my sig for more info about it (Truth, Compassion and Forbearance).[/QUOTE]

I've not heard of that before, but I'll go check it out. Thanks so much.
moonlitmeadows

by Patryc
you are most welcome
Patryc

Stories of how dance has helped five people overcome mental illness.

http://www.communitychannel.org/content/blogcategory/116/102/
Amethyst

*bump*

Amethyst

Great info thanks! I just found some belly dance/hoop classes near me I want to start taking. I have experience with other forms of dance... It's always been one of my favorite ways to feel in touch with my body and release tension. Belly dancing is such a beautiful form of dancing, I can't wait to take classes! :)
musiquEclectic

by sartach
See the healing dance performed by early Turkish tribes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-3UdP-D5L4
sartach

[QUOTE=musiquEclectic;867615]Great info thanks! I just found some belly dance/hoop classes near me I want to start taking. I have experience with other forms of dance... It's always been one of my favorite ways to feel in touch with my body and release tension. Belly dancing is such a beautiful form of dancing, I can't wait to take classes! :)[/QUOTE]

hehe :) I love it when people get excited about taking classes!
Amethyst

sartach, thank you for posting that video, that is the first time that I have seen that dance, I was captivated...
Amethyst

I want to post this article in full (I just posted it as a link in the first post), as I just read it again, and was very touched by it...much respect to this beautiful lady...

The Gilded Serpent presents...
Belly Dance and Healing from Sexual Trauma
by Lucy Lipschitz

Over the years, I've written and danced, hoping to encourage people to explore any trauma that has occurred in their personal life through this dance. I teach Belly dance from an historical and spiritual perspective so that my students can connect to their bodies on a very deep level. I believe that by using breath and correct posture, and performing the moves we use in belly dance, a person can help herself physically, spiritually, and emotionally through dance.

The main reason I teach this is because of my own issues and a major traumatic event that changed my life.

Now, for the first time in my life, I'm going to share my private story publicly, and tell it in more detail, which is quite intense: When I was 15 years old, I was kidnapped by the father of a child for whom I baby-sat, and I was beaten and raped during the course of several hours. I was choked, bitten, and punched many times all over my body, especially around my lower abdomen. Of course, there was a great amount of inner damage done to my sexual area. At one point, the rapist considered killing me and rolling my body into the canyon. I was able to talk him out of doing it! I talked and talked, and I called out to everything and everybody during the event and, eventually, at the end of it all, he took me home to my mother. That night, I used my words to save my life, and I realized that I understood that words have vast power. Words can bring magic and work miracles!

For me, the emotional and spiritual consequences were also devastating in the next few days. The police didn't believe me, and my mother called me, "Slut!" and "Whore!"

There were other adults who believed me, however, including the medical doctor who saw me, gave me an antibiotic shot, and also a shot to stop my vaginal bleeding. I was seen by a therapist who believed me, and who cried when I told him what had happened! This dear man was also furious at the treatment I had received from law enforcement and my own mother. He did a background check on the man who had done this crime against me, and discovered how incredibly dangerous and violent he was. This perpetrator had an extensive felony record.

My therapist looked me in the eye, and with tears in his own said, "You are a very lucky and strong girl. He would have killed you; I'm convinced of that. But your words saved you. It was a miracle for you, Lucy!" Then he cried for me.

Over these many years, I've worked on all the issues that have been affected by this event. My life has wrapped around this like a tree growing around a large boulder near its trunk. Rather than give up and die, the tree just grows around it. The tree might change its shape, but it is still a living tree. I grew and wrapped around this hideous event; and my view on life and love has been affected by it. I've undergone therapy, cried lakes of tears, and yet, my life has continued onward, and it has been beautiful. I have fallen in love many times, am married, and have even been able to have children! I had a special Lakota Mourning Sweat Ceremony performed for me a few years ago, and that ceremony was a catalyst in a very large improvement of my life.

I was told years ago not to tell anyone about the crime perpetrated against me. The rapist threatened to come back and kill me. My mother was very adamant that I not tell a soul, especially my family, who were so sure I was a "slut" anyway! For many years, I was careful to whom I told this story. However, I have not been a sad person; nor have I been a tragic figure. So far, I've had a fun life, I have a good sense of humor, and I have chosen to walk a happy path. This is important to me that I have spread joy and the love of my dance to others. People are glad to know me, I think.

The other important thing I have accomplished is that I have told others; I have not kept this ordeal a secret entirely. Yet, physically, other ailments have built up around my lower abdominal area. I believe that the rape was my first major injury, and that site became a magnet for the other scarring and other, additional, ailments that plagued me over the years: a couple of my babies were born by C-sections, yet I was also able to give birth naturally to my second son, which meant a lot to me. Abdominal surgery became necessary. Many other illnesses and injuries ended up in surgery and pain for me.

A few years ago, when I returned to belly dance, I felt the desire to work through having been raped. I was very afraid, but I decided that this second time in returning dance, I would still wear a bedlah, and show my tummy, too! My plan would be to move, and perform, and let myself be vulnerable to audiences who would see that I am chubby, especially in the tummy area! I would write about being raped. I devised my website to talk about this, and when I became a teacher, I would use my experience of this terrible crime against me as an avenue for me to help others.

My plan was that I would stress the bright side of this dance, and would not give in to desperation or sorrow because I have been much more than a mere survivor, I have been victorious in my life!

I would write and talk about it whenever the issues came up again because this never goes away. Sooner than I had imagined, yesterday, it came roaring back into my thoughts to make me take yet another look at feeling raw, vulnerable, and teary-eyed.

I went to see my first acupuncturist for an abdominal infection. He said that I have a lot of scarring, adhesions, and keloids under my skin, in the lower abdominal area. He said also that I retain a lot of blocked energy there. He had to put the acupuncture needles in quite deeply before I could feel them. I didn't tell him that I had been raped, and that over the years that physical trauma has accumulated more and more. I must admit that I felt better after the treatment; so this morning, I knew I had to tell him what I was withholding. I decided that he will aid me in the next step of my seemingly endless healing process. Hopefully, I can use my next efforts to shrink the scarring in my abdominal regions.

Therefore, when he called me this morning to see how I was, finally I told him what had happened. There was a big lump of sorrow in my throat as I spoke, and my acupuncturist cried on the other end of the phone. He thanked me for telling him. He said that, most likely, I will never just walk away from this, and that, probably it will be with me the rest of my life. I believe that he is right.

Today, I am both sad and glad. I have become a strong, unbreakable woman partially because of my ordeal. I appreciate little things in life; I have looked Death in the eyes. I like being alive, and having a family, and doing all the things I do.

Belly dancing has helped me immensely. I even learned to roll and flutter my tummy; I ended up practicing it while I was doing many other activities: driving, lying in bed, floating in the pool, and other times, just whenever I felt like it. The first few months, while I was learning, I fluttered my diaphragm, and suddenly an overwhelming grief rose up in me, and I burst into sobs. I knew exactly the reason for this, so I made it a point to be alone when I practiced abdominal rolls. I could flutter, roll, and cry to my heart's content. As the months have gone by, I finally have cried out most of my embedded grief, and can now control the abdominal rolls with rather great precision.

The only other drawback is that I am sick of people making comments about my tummy, even if they mean well. It isn't big from being fat. I am not Premenstrual. However, I don't see any reason to divulge my most personal feelings at a moment's notice. I would like to have my tummy smaller, to look better in my costumes, and to feel more "normal". Maybe what I really want is to feel like I was never raped, and also that my mother never turned away from me in disgust when this crime was committed against me.

I would like to go back in time, and be the cute little girl I once was. However, none of that will happen. I have grown up to be a cute woman, a nice person, a darn good dancer, a creditable writer, and a loving friend, wife, and mother. I am a compassionate teacher to my students. There is almost nothing they could tell me that would turn me off to them, except committing a personal injury crime against another...

To me, Belly dancing is not about being cutesy and wearing bedlah. It can be so much more! I honor and respect all dancers, but others like me, who use this dance as a panacea for something personal, must also be given respect. We are seeing this dance help others to feel wonderful about them selves. We are using this dance to work some miracles.

Yes, it is a miracle to be able to wear a beautiful costume and perform onstage after having been raped as a little kid. It is a miracle to be able to move one's body in such a beautiful way that an audience can feel strong emotion. I don't even have to say a word to my students about healing. All I need to do is to teach them correct posture and breathing, and the rest just comes naturally. Those of us in "recovery" are not pathetic or gloomy when we dance, most of us are full of joy and laughter. We have our dance roots in a place that many people don't have to go, and we balance ourselves with those deep roots of recovery.

So today, I'm both sad and glad: I believe that I came to this dance to heal intuitively. Now, I have a chance to teach others to dance, and to perhaps heal too. I love performing, teaching, and writing. I love Belly dancing. It is at the core of my being, it also has me wrapped around it. Dance is a joyous and beautiful thing for me; it has actually outweighed that other, horrible event so long ago!

I hope that any readers who have been through the same thing will keep going in this dance, and keep the faith that also has helped them to live through their hard times. One can still be happy, and this dance can help former victims become truly beautiful again. We always were beautiful, and always will be.

Why have I shared my disturbing event so intimately now? I'm convinced about how many, many of us have risen above hideous things similar to victimization. I really want to reach out and help others. I am ready to take a big plunge outward, and let the cat out of the bag, so to speak. I still feel that I may be putting myself up to possible ridicule, scorn, and blame, (not to mention pity) by revealing my story.

I must tell my story. I will do anything to help any human being heal from any similar events that have grievously harmed their lives. Let us dance together, and hold each others' hands while we begin this path.

I write, I dance, and I live well.

http://www.gildedserpent.com/articles23/lucyraperecoverywdance.htm
Amethyst

A beautiful quote, from the above article, that made me cry (I had to take a pause from reading it)

"Yes, it is a miracle to be able to wear a beautiful costume and perform on stage after having been raped as a little kid"

For some women, it is a very deep thing...it's not just about looking pretty and showing off on stage, it's about healing, and love, and pain, and strength, and so on...
Amethyst

by leila
leila

by Wazzz
from my experience, i have had no success with healing through dance

i personally recommend healing through energy transfer, with which i have had a lot of success with :)

the idea behind it is that you get another person with you, and you transfer energy from them to heal yourself without draining them of all their soul energy
of course, the other person must be willing, as this could potentially cause harm if done too much

the first times i experienced such powers, i was accidentally draining energy from everyone in the room
i noticed the effect when they all became quite sleepy and i was not

alternatively, you may find grinding up fertilizer and inhaling it will help you to grow your chakra, thus allowing you to heal better :)
Wazzz

Return to index page General Health & Healing