Belief systems challenged...

General Indigo Generation discussion
It happens here sometimes (and in real life of course) and sometimes it makes people feel uncomfortable...

Sometimes people want to only be with those who have the same belief systems as themselves...is this "good"?

It can aid growth in oneself, to be around (even if just on a forum) some people who have some different belief systems to themselves (tolerance is one of those things, as is acceptance of people's differences).

How will this world become more unified, if people just try and stay in one group that share the same or similar belief systems?

If people run away from the diversity...(and of course we all have different paths, I am speaking of this in an open way).

Is it good that they are challenged sometimes? I'd say yes sometimes, one reason being is that I am not "right" about everything, and also, it's good to be strong and confident in your communication with others, without being arrogant...or trying to seperate...[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Just to make clear, when I say belief systems, I am including, what one sees as "truth"
Amethyst

I agree but it can be challenging. Some belief systems are wrapped around judging of others.
FirstWave

Yes, I know (I see and feel/pick up on that strongly :(). It's been hard for me at times too.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

[/COLOR]There have been times in my life when I just wanted to be totally alone or only with people "like me" I understand that, though, I don't feel that is best for me, there is a balance that is needed.
Amethyst

by cindy
diversity and change is so integral that even ones own belief system changes...from realisation to realisation...experience to experience...so being open minded..to me...opens doors to self growth. everyone has something to teach..and to learn xxxx
cindy

by Sephish
I'm glad it makes people uncomfortable. :)

Basically, if one has a belief system, I feel it'd be a disservice to them not to challenge it. It'll save them a lot of pain in the long run when it comes crashing down anyways.
Sephish

by pebble
If I would have remained in my old belief system, I would not be here! At the risk of being redundant, i will again say that doubt is a good thing! Challenge your belief system...check it for holes and cracks lol
pebble

by cindy
and if you find them...tear it wide open :-) xxxx
cindy

by Sephish
[QUOTE=pebble;566813]If I would have remained in my old belief system, I would not be here! At the risk of being redundant, i will again say that doubt is a good thing! Challenge your belief system...check it for holes and cracks lol[/QUOTE]

YES! YES! A thousand times YES!
Sephish

by pebble
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle
pebble

by james
The compromise set forward is timing... How do you think people remain focused and directed as per life plan?
james

by rabana
this is from a post about past lives:

around 30 years ago all my friends were turning metaphysical, me too, and i didn't know what to think of reincarnation. i was studying edgar cayce and after i read Many Mansions i said to myself "well! i can see that this has broad implications. i'm gonna suspend disbelief for 2 weeks and see where it takes me."

the 2 weeks have never ended.

this technique of ridding oneself of skepticism in regard to new ideas has been most helpful over the years. especially when i want to say no to an new idea, i automatically take it in for a time until i'm sure i understand it. sometimes it turns out to be a real no (like the time i sat down to a sincere chat with an anti-semitic white supremist. a nice man. ugh.) often tho, it opens portals.

check things out. skepticism is just another word for close-mindedness.
rabana

by sshenry
No one likes pain.

Well, no one who is "normal" likes pain - either pain inflicted upon themselves or seeing others in pain. (Heh - if you like pain, either receiving or inflicting - I do believe that there is a slot in the DSM IV with your name on it). In fact, there are those who devote their entire lives to making people more comfortable - to help them in relieving the pain.

The human animal will go to great lengths to make itself comfortable - and being with like minds is one way that it makes itself comfortable.

Interesting thing is - when someone chooses to make a break with a belief system (and I'm speaking from experience here) it is not just the person making the break who is now faced with discomfort (even pain) as the rug of their beliefs is swept out from under their feet. It is the people around them as well.

Just look at how hard someone will fight against someone making a "break" with a belief. Instead of simply standing back and saying "go for it - it's your life - make the decisions you belive are right for you here and now", they beg and plead and give every reason why the person shouldn't go - shouldn't break with that particular belief.

Why? Because it makes them uncomfortable. If a person breaks with a belief they have held - or introduces a "new" belief into the mix, they have to reassess their position, and that can be painful.

In fact, many will use their own pain (you're hurting me by saying this) against the person proposing the new belief - or breaking with the old one - and the person who is proposing or breaking with the belief will reconsider because their first instinct is not to hurt anyone else....
sshenry

Thanks sshenry (no thanks left now)

[QUOTE=sshenry;566916]or breaking with the old one - and the person who is proposing or breaking with the belief will reconsider because their first instinct is not to hurt anyone else....[/QUOTE]

yes, and sometimes that is also the case, even when their belief on something has not changed, but is different to someone elses...and them not wanting to, or, feeling uncomfortable with, other people feeling hurt by (or taking personally, or missunderstanding, or judging) the expression of different beliefs to theirs.

And when one does change a belief, or change something about themselves, it can (like you said sshenry) effect how people relate to and/or treat each other.

The way I see it (well part of this) is that we all hold pieces of truths...no one knows it all. And we do all have different journeys.
Amethyst

It's really nice to know that others are questioning and waving from their paths on my way :)
humanmanga

[QUOTE=sshenry;566916]Why? Because it makes them uncomfortable. If a person breaks with a belief they have held - or introduces a "new" belief into the mix, they have to reassess their position, and that can be painful.
[/QUOTE]

I have noticed this, with some of the beliefs that I have expressed. I think it's important to not judge people for having different beliefs to your own...[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I'm looking inside myself about some of what has been writen in this thread also...
Amethyst

by Ham
"challenged" is one thing.. what would you do if you found everything you believed was wrong.. burned away in one brief moment..
Ham

by sshenry
[QUOTE=Ham;567048]"challenged" is one thing.. what would you do if you found everything you believed was wrong.. burned away in one brief moment..[/QUOTE]

Been there...

I went into a two year funk/depression so deep I thought I'd never get out.
sshenry

by Ham
I had something like that happen..

and when the light appeared.. it was pure joy..

there was no depression.

it is hard to describe..

but after it happened.. I asked almost everybody what the hell happened..

the nice lady studying kaballah.. she is as nuts as I am.. but was probably the greatest help..

the nice psychologist.. ended up being more of a guidance counsellor. I think she attributed it to the non-peculiar mid-life "crisis" of sorts..

The logical part of me stayed on auto pilot.. and laughed at my craziness..

maybe that's what death will be like..[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I dunno.. when that day comes.. one absolutely HAS to let go..

I let go once.. apparently I'm still supposed to be here for one reason or another..
Ham

*subscribing* (nice thread amethyst)
Lady Neptune

by jeRaste
Where would any of us be without challange to our belief systems?

Sure as hell not here learning from each other...

In Lak'ech my friends.
<3333333[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

[/COLOR][QUOTE=sshenry;566916]No one likes pain.

Well, no one who is "normal" likes pain - either pain inflicted upon themselves or seeing others in pain. (Heh - if you like pain, either receiving or inflicting - I do believe that there is a slot in the DSM IV with your name on it). In fact, there are those who devote their entire lives to making people more comfortable - to help them in relieving the pain.

The human animal will go to great lengths to make itself comfortable - and being with like minds is one way that it makes itself comfortable.

Interesting thing is - when someone chooses to make a break with a belief system (and I'm speaking from experience here) it is not just the person making the break who is now faced with discomfort (even pain) as the rug of their beliefs is swept out from under their feet. It is the people around them as well.

Just look at how hard someone will fight against someone making a "break" with a belief. Instead of simply standing back and saying "go for it - it's your life - make the decisions you belive are right for you here and now", they beg and plead and give every reason why the person shouldn't go - shouldn't break with that particular belief.

Why? Because it makes them uncomfortable. If a person breaks with a belief they have held - or introduces a "new" belief into the mix, they have to reassess their position, and that can be painful.

In fact, many will use their own pain (you're hurting me by saying this) against the person proposing the new belief - or breaking with the old one - and the person who is proposing or breaking with the belief will reconsider because their first instinct is not to hurt anyone else....[/QUOTE]

THAT...

Is something I have trouble explaining to people...

The insidious danger of enculteration, its designed to help ensnare those who are breaking free right the hell back in. As always, Eyedea and Abilities has a brilliant lyric I think applies...

"And then you realize, youve always lived in hell, no human model or metaphor can explain how you fell, the puzzles ALIVE it changes as you try to escape it created time and made it appear to pass by. you dont know what you think, you dont think what you know, your a total lunatic and afraid it starting to show, oh, where do you go when your brain is your worst enemy... the six hundred and sixty six foot bridge on seventh street?"
[from the dive A]

Which makes me think of that great thread about suicide.

Thanks again for being.
In Lak'ech Ala'kin.
<3333333
jeRaste