Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeRaste View Post
    That shit is so real.
    Not being jealous of something, anything, because you see that there is no seperation between you and the other...
    For some reason I have never had it click really, what I had been noticing build up, until you put it that way.
    Hard to explain, but the mental maps of my conciousness just got an upgrade several areas due to this post.
    THANKS. =]
    I think it is to some degree a jealous energy that goes through. One who insults on some level really wants what the other has and at that moment, cannot have it and so out of frustration the only thing left to do is try to steal power. And if the insult hits home and is returned, the power has been successfully sucked and then from there on out it is a war of getting false power back and forth. That's really all it is. Life is much easier when I remember this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Lola View Post
    ok Beautiful Mind and jeRaste...I just got really immense chills when I read the last two posts...Flippin Flappin Big energy between you two right now.
    Something actually hapend I mean something traveled through time and space enough for me to feel it....Powerful!

This ad goes away when you register.

Indigo Newbie
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    There is no pain in the worlds of higher frequencies. Therefore consciousness that came from higher worlds are not used to the pain. They know worlds with other laws.

Pain is the attribute of ego. The stronger our ego is the harder we can get hurt. Insulting is always a game of ego. It attacks others to prove that others are weaker or worse. A non-ego based way of self-assertion is expanding own knowledge about yourself and the universe.

I can’t see how insulting can help a person to grow, because by insulting you address his ego and it activates his survival instincts. It’s possible to help if you are not afraid to tell the truth and address higher levels (= send positive energies).

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    This thread is hot fire.

Learning is fun.
    Living is fun.
    Combining the two is just so freaking raw.

My one and only tattoo says "learn and grow"... =]
    If enough people stop having bank accounts, stop driving cars everywhere, stop supporting big buisness and major corporations, stop consuming useless crap stolen out of the earth and shipped all over the god damned place to be processed here, stored here, sold there, eaten somewhere else, just gennerally stop FEEDING THE BEAST... It will die.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeRaste For This Useful Post:

Alludor (09-27-2011)

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry10000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think the days of insulting people as a way of motivation is over; It just doesn't work.

For example, anyone ever remember that teacher or coach spewing negative stuff about how everybody is a looser to try and motive them to do better; Ya doesn't work. It's old school thinking, it time to leave the box. WhooHOO

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bella For This Useful Post:

beautifulmind (02-15-2010), Greenguy (02-13-2010), Peregrina (02-24-2010)

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    It’s just a power trip… I bet that most wouldn’t do it if they were faced with the real thing.. I mean person to person… Most do this because they are cowards and use the Internet to get a kick…

People insult other people because is human nature to do so.. They just want to feel superior.
    When someone puts someone else down, they feel better about themselves. Its all about security and is an avenue to feel superior.. .
    Also must say that some people insult other people because some deserve to be insulted..
    I have done it here on IS and I don’t like it a bit…
    I feel sad when I do that…
    But I only do that to come to help if someone insults someone just for fun
    … That is not only cruel but also immature….
    If You decide to insult?.. Well I come and try to protect..
    That is with anyone, friends or not….
    Manlio….
    Last edited by QuosVadis; 02-14-2010 at 06:06 PM.
    Humanity is going to need a substantially new way of thinking if it is to survive!" (Albert Einstein)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuosVadis For This Useful Post:

beautifulmind (02-15-2010), Peregrina (02-24-2010)

Indigo Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The question shouldn't be "Why do people insult others" it should be "Why do people allow themselves to feel or become insulted" ?

If you feel insulted by something, then obviously you've given an automatic win to your bully!

But ignore me, I am coming out with a lot of weird shit lately!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RavenMother For This Useful Post:

Aion (02-20-2010), Wicklow (09-29-2011)

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 594
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMother View Post
    The question shouldn't be "Why do people insult others" it should be "Why do people allow themselves to feel or become insulted" ?

If you feel insulted by something, then obviously you've given an automatic win to your bully!

Ah hah! Way to go! We have a winner.

It's about time someone said this.

This is incredibly important. How can you have an inner journey when you can't take responsibility for how you respond to other people?

See~! Makes me happy.

But I'm gushing now.

√-1
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I think the answer is very simple and is the same answer to the question: Why do we compliment each other?

Simply put, it is egoic masterbation. By sharing opinions, beliefs, and experiences, we're stroking our own ego. It's not a bad thing, it's not a good thing...it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
    ...and is there anything "good"/"positive" about calling people names/insulting them?

I personally see there to be no need for me to insult anyone, or for others to insult anyone.

Perhaps it helps some people "let off steam" - are there no other ways that are just as (or more) effective?

Perhaps it sometimes is to do with revenge...or "the person deserves it because of...."

If one is making a point, a strong point, and if someone was really trying to "teach" someone something (other than trying to toughen someone up), would they insult them when writing/talking to them? If so, then to me it seems that perhaps some people would be more open to what you/someone speaks about/writes about, if you/someone don't call them names, insult them/put them down.

And yes I know what some will think, so I will answer it now (lol) of course people who are being called names, are being insulted, they can have the responsibility to not be a victim to it (does that make it "ok" for someone to treat someone else how ever they like? I would say with some things, no, it is not ok).

Old Soul
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,590 Times in 2,797 Posts
    Interesting post Amethyst

When someone insults someone else, they are projecting their own negative feelings onto their object. By calling them rude and insulting things they are venting their own frustrations. That's just it though, the feelings are theirs and theirs alone. It is up to the one who is the object of the negative feelings to agree that the feelings being projected are even worthy of recognition.

“What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if,when you awoke,you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then?”
    ― Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Old Soul
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,515
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,248 Posts
    The question shouldn't be "Why do people insult others" it should be
    Well, it's bought up a good discussion! Why not several questions, looking at different angles, related to all of this? One question can lead to another...can lead to another...

"Why do people allow themselves to feel or become insulted" ?
    Well yes that is an important question, and it connects to the original post (as well as other posts in this thread).

I don't think it's weird shit (hehe) you have made an important point.

Old Soul
    Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QuosVadis View Post

People insult other people because is human nature to do so..
    I get the drift of what you have said there, but I don't see how it is human nature...sure, some humans sometimes insult others, is that true "human" "nature"? Is there anything "good" or positive, about "human nature"?

They just want to feel superior.
    When someone puts someone else down, they feel better about themselves. Its all about security and is an avenue to feel superior.. .
    I can see this is the case sometimes, but that also sometimes people will not do it to feel superior, and/or can feel "bad" or feel guilt, or regret, after "insulting" someone, or putting them down, or having a go at them, or having a heated argument. Which is kind of what you say (?) (I've just read it) in the next bit

Also must say that some people insult other people because some deserve to be insulted..
    I have done it here on IS and I don’t like it a bit…
    I feel sad when I do that…
    But I only do that to come to help if someone insults someone just for fun
    … That is not only cruel but also immature….
    If You decide to insult?.. Well I come and try to protect..
    That is with anyone, friends or not….
    Manlio….
    I have been involved in some heated arguments in my (real, offline) life (with just 2 people, mainly with 1 of those people, and it doesn't happen anymore, not to go into it), and no, it didn't feel good. When I was being insulted, or put down, or called names, very much most of the time, I didn't do this back, but a few times I did...was I justified? Could I have dealt with it in a better way at the time? I asked myself that, I felt that if only I had been calm, not got heated, I could have dealt with the situation, "better", and to have been what was needed at the time (even if it was to just walk away at the time).

So, well I think most people have done this at times (if it's all in the past, if it's just a recent thing, if it's been most of their lives, if it's been rarely or often, if it's been in one situation, or another, if it's been with 1 person, a few, or many, if it's been for one reason, or another, if it's been seen/felt to have been "justified" or not). So, (imo) there are really, very few "saints" who have been "sainty" (lol) their whole lives.

Old Soul
    Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sshenry View Post
    Interesting post Amethyst

When someone insults someone else, they are projecting their own negative feelings onto their object. By calling them rude and insulting things they are venting their own frustrations. That's just it though, the feelings are theirs and theirs alone. It is up to the one who is the object of the negative feelings to agree that the feelings being projected are even worthy of recognition.
    That's true sshenry.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thanks

:)

Okay, this is hard to put into words but ill try to anyways.. I think that sometimes insults CAN help people grow. When you are the target of the insulting/bullying you get all these hurtful feelings inside you, right? Well once all the insulting finally stops you are able to understand how other people feel when it happens to them. So since youve had that experience you know not to do that to others because you know what that feels like. So therefore, you wont end up being a nasty person whos always mean to people, youll be a nicer person, who doesnt feel any need to insult/bully anyone. So yeah, I really think it can help. lol sorry if that didnt make sense. I triedd aha.
    Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood
    Miss 'No way, it's all good', it didn't slow me down
    Mistaken, always second guessing, underestimated
    Look, I'm still around <3

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    at work people look up the latest tragedy and make fun of it duh (not a way to develop compassion)
    Last edited by jimwil22; 02-24-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Official Supporter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I believe people insult others because they see something in them that reflect themselves, a part of them they hate.

I also think that people insult others if they are afraid of them, afraid of their differences, things they're ignorant to often causes fear. It is wise for people to learn everything about the things they fear, during their education on the subject, person, disability or whatever it is, they will find that their fear will lessen and their tolerance for that thing will come about. You need to understand things and people in order to have no fear of them, once you do this, you'll naturally stop insulting people, especially if you make effort to take the step of thinking about how you would feel as them, looking at things from another perspective, instead of sticking to your own ideas - this does not mean changing yourself to suit the person, but changing yourself to become a more peaceful and tolerant person.

Some people and things may be completely inconceivable, which is why it is important to get to know that person or thing. It may be very hard, especially if that person or thing is completely scary or something you don't want to associate with - but all in all, if people did this more, there would be less aggression in the world. In my opinion anyway.

I have studied the social sciences and certain psychological areas and part of the subject I had to learn about once was entering the mind of a serial killer, I found out that, although there is no excuse to kill or torture other people, that a majority of murderers and evil people in general become what they are because of how they were raised or what had happened to them in their life-time, combined with a biological and genetic fault. Not everyone with the genetic fault ends up a killer however, but how they were raised and their life experiences can actually determine whether or not they will or not. In other words, society needs to change in order to prevent murders, because murderers come about not only because of a genetic fault, but because they've been abused, bullied, feared, treated differently, ignored, and so forth.

I don't mean to sound I have an answer for everything, but this is what I've personally found and to me it seems to be a good reason.
    DONT DREAM IT BE IT!

Know thy enemy

Don't live in fear of words alone, live in fear of the actions behind the words or what may happen if those words are never uttered!

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialSocial1 year registered1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis224 View Post
    Okay, this is hard to put into words but ill try to anyways.. I think that sometimes insults CAN help people grow. When you are the target of the insulting/bullying you get all these hurtful feelings inside you, right? Well once all the insulting finally stops you are able to understand how other people feel when it happens to them. So since youve had that experience you know not to do that to others because you know what that feels like. So therefore, you wont end up being a nasty person whos always mean to people, youll be a nicer person, who doesnt feel any need to insult/bully anyone. So yeah, I really think it can help. lol sorry if that didnt make sense. I triedd aha.
    It makes perfect sense, although those kind of experiences may make us see into a different perspective, grow stronger and even learn from it, one shouldn't resolve or guide a person through his/her issues by such methods. This, in part, because it generates negative vibrations and feelings from the one insulting to the insulted. Second, because in a World such as ours, those kind of methods are pretty much used everywhere, and not working out so well, even a little imature, I might risk saying. A higher and more evolved way of thinking is required to bring forth change in our world... Kindness the ultimate teacher... But that's just me

Old Soul
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 814 Posts
    It depends on the person getting the insults

Plus culture, the more names your called in Ireland the more time a lad has for ya.

But I guess in short, if someone is insulting another, it's down to ignorance on how they cannot find others ways to vent.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sean keyes For This Useful Post:

kireiHASU (10-04-2011), Wicklow (09-29-2011)

Global Forum Caretaker
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,885 Posts
    i think many of us carry accumulated anger that started in childhood and remains unrecognized misunderstood and unresolved.

when i did finally realize that 1) this is what they call anger, and 2) this is my anger, and 3) its not doing me any good and is in fact a source of misery, when i came to that realization i was actually ashamed of myself for ever thinking my rage was justified. so i went to work on it and i mean work. took a long time but eventually i got a grip.

there is such a thing as righteous anger, such as anger at world wide corruption. jesus busting up the temple money changers comes to mind. but thats not what i'm talking about.

confusing your own unexamined responsibilities with a supposed right to be hurtful is what i'm talking about.
    !soil first! every garden is an experiment no experiment is a failure
    ------------------------------------** Hidden Content eat lots of salad! Hidden Content **-----------------------------------

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialSocial1 year registered1 year registered

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Why do people insult others? A couple of reasons, primarily - - fear and projection. It has to do with their own perception of others and the world around them. They either percieve something in you they fear in themselves, or they are projecting their own fears or insecurities onto others because they don't want to see those things in themselves.

This ties in to what rabana said:
    i think many of us carry accumulated anger that started in childhood and remains unrecognized misunderstood and unresolved.

when i did finally realize that 1) this is what they call anger, and 2) this is my anger, and 3) its not doing me any good and is in fact a source of misery, when i came to that realization i was actually ashamed of myself for ever thinking my rage was justified. so i went to work on it and i mean work. took a long time but eventually i got a grip.
    Some people are projecting their unresolved anger onto others. I've had anger in the past, and when I saw myself projecting, I seriously reexamined my viewpoints and came to the realization that "throwing" anger out there wasn't helping me. I was also an angsty, angry adolescent at the time, and I thought I knew everything and that the world was all wrong and I was all right.

I was trapped in the duality mindset, and I feel I've matured so much since then. Some people refuse to examine their mindsets, thus they remain trapped. They continue to deal with things in a childish way, regardless of their age. Chronilogical age sometimes has little to do with a person's spiritual development. A person becomes emotionally mature once they start breaking out of the dualistic thinking pattern.

There are ways to deal with anger without insulting someone. And sometimes, insults can be given in good humor, like sean said, but everyone usually knows the difference.

The best thing to do is take a person's insults where they are coming from. I've developed a thick skin for things like that. Sticks and stones. I figure, if someone is throwing negative energy at me, it's because I've awakened something in them they need to deal with and transcend. In my mind, I usually wish them luck in all sincerety, because the goal for all of us is to transcend.

Indigo Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Most logical according to me is that its a battle.
    By insulting you push down others in order to show you are more powerful.
    Think about the ones who insult the most.

Those are all people who see themselves as weak in some way and need to prove they are better by insulting the other.
    It all comes down to instincts, humans compete in many ways to cull the weak, but the weak tend to pretend their way in anyway.
    I have formed this theory by thinking about the persons who have insulted me, they have all been afraid of me in some way, but been too fearful.
    I see myself as strong by doing the opposite, mending others.
    "What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast