are you guys vegan?

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.

are you guys vegan?

«  » by lei
I'm wondering if many of you are vegan? what do you think about being vegan? what do you think about vegan movement? Einstein said: "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." What do you think about his statement?
lei

I'm omnivorous. I do rely mostly on a vegan diet, but I kill and eat meat too.

I think that vegan-ism is appropriate for temperate climate. When temperatures get very cold and nothing can grow it seems logical to eat meat. I guess it depends on where you live and what you can grow.

My pumpkins and strawberries died this Summer. I'll have to find other things to eat.
Indigo Dog

Blogs: 29

I am vegetarian

I like it, I believe that a person can make a choice to do what ever they want. It may be possible that some people are meant to eat meat and otherz are not, but I like not eating meat because it helps me to learn about different new foods from around the world. I have learned about new foods to eat from this site because of vegetarianism that I had never heard of before.
I know what his statement meant to me, basically there is a higher level of energy for the person and that can be explained. Your body metabolizes food quicker with out meat plus more of the nutrients are used with less energy so you would live longer and become sick less due to less use of body functions; "hmm I wonder if that is what happened to the spleen."
Plus animals when they die usually die unhappy therefore they produce toxins into their blood and flesh " a little gift for farming them." So a human kills fast and the animal kills us slow. Meat has been found in deceased people that had been there for ten years or more, it rotz the intestines from the inside out ; but to be fair that is not caused by just eating meat that is caused by not exercising as well.

Vegetarianism is not a tough task I enjoy it and learning new foods and tastes. I had tried most meats before I quit; from a squid to a squirrel I have eaten, and then one day I just started to quit eating one type of meat one at a time. Fish was my last meat to stop eating, that one was tough but of course the mercury started to poison me as well lol. If you want to get smarter with out working harder and you are a meat eater then you should put away most other meatz and start eating fish, or crustaceanz "marbled meatz with omega 3z"
Light.

Blogs: 1

Yes i am from Vega.
MiamiSound

Blogs: 63

I was a vegetarian for many years. Then I was a vegan. Luckily I realized that it was not for me, and I was affecting my health in a quite serious manner. I do have respect for vegetarians and vegan, if it works for them, fine. A lot of false informations are given though. It is not true that if you eat a vegan diet you will have more energy: you are not a cow (I assume), so it takes much longer for you to digest large amounts of "greens". It puts a stain on your liver, your pancreas, your whole digestive system. So your body uses more energy to digest such diets, and you become weaker and weaker. Your hair, skin, and even emotional health will be compromised. You would need to take supplements. A lot of vegans do. If their diet is so healthy, why are they taking all that stuff? Why whenever I go to a "health food store", I see the most sickly people? If you are eating properly, you are going to be healthy. Period. No need to take extra vitamins, powders and such. Please educate yourself before you make any decision that could affect your health. Read "The Vegetarian Myth" with an open mind. It's a great book, a lot of my friends that are vegetarian agree with me. And check out the Weston A. Price Foundation (http://www.westonaprice.org). It's a wonderful foundation that promotes real food, health, and has a ton of informations about nutrition. And to all my vegetarian/vegan brothers and sisters, please don't be mad at me for having a different opinion. If you are *truly* healthy and happy, then you must be doing something right, and I have no intention to invalidate or take that away from your personal experience. One last thing: whatever you are going to eat, be conscious about it. Wherever it comes from, however you cook it, be thankful and have a positive attitude. It's amazing how much your food can be infused with sparks of positive energy when you prepare it. Cook as much as possible, and stay away from anything that comes in packages. Good luck!
enrico

" wrote:I'm wondering if many of you are vegan? what do you think about being vegan? what do you think about vegan movement? Einstein said: "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." What do you think about his statement?

I'm not at all vegan, I prefer a high meat diet.

However, I do think the vegan movement is a mostly good thing, if done well it can be very good for people.\
not everyone should do it however, it won't work for all.

I do not agree with the Einstein quote. nothing is better for human survival and progress than variation. that includes variation in diet.
Lelitu

" wrote:If their diet is so healthy, why are they taking all that stuff? Why whenever I go to a "health food store", I see the most sickly people? If you are eating properly, you are going to be healthy. Period. No need to take extra vitamins, powders and such.

This. Humans are naturally omnivorous. Can't just cut something out of your diet like that.

Cook as much as possible

Not this. Rare steak is delicious.
Sephish

Blogs: 57

" wrote: It puts a stain on your liver, your pancreas, your whole digestive system. So your body uses more energy to digest such diets, and you become weaker and weaker. Your hair, skin, and even emotional health will be compromised. You would need to take supplements. A lot of vegans do. If their diet is so healthy, why are they taking all that stuff? Why whenever I go to a "health food store", I see the most sickly people?

thats unfair. there are reasons to go vegetarian and vegan and ways of doing it safely and successfully. one comes to a vegan diet by making very slow changes. many people come to it because they are already ill ( the SAD-- standard american diet-- being a major factor) and have been rejected by conventional health care. it has quite a long and honorable history as one facet of a very successful healing method (naturopathy)and shouldn't be rejected out of hand without a fair examination of it. herbs and homeopathy fit in with this type of diet and method of healing, if thats what you mean by supplements.

i respect dr. price's work but i know i would do poorly on it. and there are all sorts of moral and ecological questions to a meat based diet. more questions now than there were in dr. price's day.

but beware of labeling people and their diets. i've been 70-100% fruits and vegetables for 35 years, mostly vegan for the last 25 years, largely raw for the last 5 but at times i do eat other things for a variety of reasons. i have never been struck down by a bolt of lightning for doing so. :)

i should add that i have survived a variety of health disasters since childhood including hereditary cancer. i get healthier every day, have stayed flexible, do not look my age (59) and so on. so much for greens being a strain on the system.
rabana

Blogs: 4

Sephish, I *love* rare steak! "Cook as much as possible" as in "make your own meals", instead of eating junk food or food that was prepared by questionable establishments.
enrico

I'm vegetarian. I'm currently lacto-ovo, but I got crazy sick from food poisoning from eggs so....I'm considering eating only cage-free eggs from now on, but right now I'm just scared to touch them at all lol
Cusp_Child

Blogs: 3

I agree with you, and I am happy to learn that your diet is working for you. I just made a suggestion based on my experience. "one diet for all" is not what i want. I just think that often vegetarians//vegan (and omnivores as well) don't always make the best decisions. Before starting a new regimen, people should educate themselves about it, and accept that not always it can be right for their constitution.
enrico

" wrote:I *love* rare steak! "Cook as much as possible" as in "make your own meals", instead of eating junk food or food that was prepared by questionable establishments.

That makes more sense. I definitely feel better eating meals I cooked myself. :)
Sephish

Blogs: 57

I'm pretty much vegetarian, but I eat meat sparingly. If I eat too much of it, or certain kinds (like lamb, which tastes of fear) then I feel nasty, so now I only eat small amounts.
But there is 2 reasons I still eat meat;
1-forward facing eyes & canines :D
2-really damn tasty :p
Spyder

Lol :) HEY Spydie! I haven't talked to you in quite a while :)
Cusp_Child

heya Cusp! long time no type xD msn me if you want so we don't derail our good friend lei's thread :)
hugs
Spyder

I became a vegetarian not too long ago. I loved meat and steak, but recently whenever I ate meat it smelled like decay to me, even it was local, organic and grass fed. I know that's weird but I'm really happy with this change in my diet now. My hair and my skin look better. I eat mostly whole grain breads and pastas, legumes, fruits, spinach, other leafy greens and nuts. I still eat eggs, ice cream and cheese. I would have a hard time being completely vegan.
I think it is completely a personal choice and varies according to the person. There is nothing wrong with eating meat as long as you are conscious and mindful. One should do what is right for one's body. There are some really awesome Ayurvedic cookbooks and websites that describe what diet is best for balancing your body according to which elements are dominant. :)
isiseyes9

Blogs: 2

" wrote:heya Cusp! long time no type xD msn me if you want so we don't derail our good friend lei's thread :)
hugs

Definitely :) But I don't have MSN. I'm on yahoo though :)

Now, back to the subject haha.
I definitely agree with Isis about it varying person to person. I also would have a very difficult time being Vegan just because I don't think my metabolism would like me too much if i did that, and frankly....cheese is f***ing delicious lol. But, I think that the only reason I would eat meat again is if I were pregnant and my body (my child) began to crave the nutrients it gives, or if it were the only way I could survive.
Cusp_Child

people who want to get off the 'normal' (junk) diet, especially if they just aren't well, have peculiar symptoms, etc. should consider a detox/healing diet for a time, which yes, is a vegan diet. in the course of healing they can decide what foods to add back and when.

heal yourself thread http://indigosociety.com/showthread.php?25596-heal-yourself!-naturopathy-and-detox
rabana

Blogs: 4

I need meat...in small quantities...but I need it
Zaher

i'm naturally a vegetarian, but i'd really like to be an omnivore.
! seriously i want to be a meat eater! but i dont like it that much...or i dont even think of it that much or have access to it, that and fresh cream and dairy stuff isnt that accessible to me...but occasionally i do get some..mostly i eat meat when someone else prepares a meal.
even when i was kid my parents could never get me to eat meat, except for fish, but even now that i call myself an omnivore i pretty much have a vegetarian diet +eggs + rarely fish or wild meat.
i also eat anything if its free! especially if someone offers it and i am a guest.

i just started eating meat a few years ago, and its an unusual thing for me in so many ways, but i enjoy it. i feel like it does bring me strength and a certain vitality, also eggs and fish...it feels good after eating them.

i can say as a person really into food, gardening, and environmental issues ...more important than meat no meat issue is local instead of food that are shipped long distances and have preservatives/ pesticides on them. the gasoline usage in food distribution is disturbing.

einstein's quote makes me think of the land (mis) use involved in the meat farming industry, and the more sustainable land use of permaculture vegetable and fruit growing. it makes more sense on all levels for humans to eat a primarily vegetarian diet, on a small scale farm this would be seen easily. if you had only so much space to feed a community would you keep a couple of cows and feed them all your first years harvest and import food for them instead of grow what you could quickly...and with most nourishment per your available space and time...being needed right now, it would be obvious that you could only have so much space/ food available to raise animals..and that it made more sense to grow veggies and fruit.

meat *production* is not that sustainable, done in very small ways as an addition to ones diet perhaps its not as bad, even can be (in small setting of a farm) a good addition to a small farm, your own animals to raise.. but eating meat all the time is only really *sustainable* if you have access to it in your local environment, as in wild fish or a few chickens in the backyard.
i think anyone on a vegetarian diet should take supplements. not that i think its bad....no not at all. just think it can be more difficult , depending on your circumstances, to get all that you need from a vegetarian diet unless you have a big fat veggie garden....or lots of access to fresh veggies.
leila

Blogs: 9

Return to index page Indigo Cafe