Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

High intelligence and Menial Jobs

Is it generally true that people with a higher then average intelligence do better at menial jobs?

Like, is it normal when a person who is more intelligence then an average person is a phenomenal factory worker or fast food worker, but can't handle "professional" jobs or office jobs?

This ad goes away when you register.
    Life On The Rocinante':
    http://valkrane.wordpress.com
    Last Updated December 31st

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialYour first GroupYour first GroupVeteran
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 654 Posts
    I do not think so. Menial jobs cause major boredom for people with high intelligence. That's what ADD is all about. These people want to be challenged because they get bored so easy and that is when the ADD kicks in.
    The poetry of life and death lie within the process.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FirstWave For This Useful Post:

cerise333 (08-22-2010), Lelitu (08-21-2010), Light. (08-21-2010), Lynx (08-20-2010), sshenry (08-20-2010), Zaher (08-20-2010)

Old Soul
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,589 Times in 2,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkrane View Post
    Is it generally true that people with a higher then average intelligence do better at menial jobs?

Like, is it normal when a person who is more intelligence then an average person is a phenomenal factory worker or fast food worker, but can't handle "professional" jobs or office jobs?
    It's not so much that they are better at menial jobs than professional jobs, in fact many find menial jobs incredibly boring, it's just by comparison to those around them they are "phenomenal" workers. Many times the "professional" jobs are, as first wave said, anathema to them because of their ability to detect bullshit (and there is a lot of it in the professional arena). Also, many of them can't see their way clear to taking orders from someone else - conforming etc. makes professional jobs - where conforming is essential to production - nearly impossible to stomach.

“What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if,when you awoke,you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then?”
    ― Samuel Taylor Coleridge

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sshenry For This Useful Post:

Light. (08-21-2010)

Global Forum Caretaker
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,229
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,006 Times in 3,865 Posts
    speaking from experience, i'm terrible at any job. i just can't do as i'm told and have no interest in whatever the goals are.
    !soil first! every garden is an experiment no experiment is a failure
    ------------------------------------** Hidden Content eat lots of salad! Hidden Content **-----------------------------------

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rabana For This Useful Post:

Light. (08-21-2010)

Old Soul
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 645
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,464 Posts
    For me it's about environment. Whether it's menial or not, if the atmosphere is nice then I enjoy it.
    Freemason wannabe and resident skeptic.
    If you don't feel disempowered, I'm not doing my job.
    Check out the Hidden Content right here on IS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sephish For This Useful Post:

Cusp_Child (08-21-2010)

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteranTagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rabana View Post
    speaking from experience, i'm terrible at any job. i just can't do as i'm told and have no interest in whatever the goals are.
    Lol, just dont mention that in your resume
    Not everything can be known. Not everything needs to be known. Miracles arise from the acceptation of the mysterious unknown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaher For This Useful Post:

dude (08-22-2010)

Global Forum Caretaker
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,229
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,006 Times in 3,865 Posts
    what resume?
    !soil first! every garden is an experiment no experiment is a failure
    ------------------------------------** Hidden Content eat lots of salad! Hidden Content **-----------------------------------

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    most jobs are boring. i could never work in an office all day, unless i was also running around doing other tasks and interacting with people as well. i do best with creative projects, advertising, communication, and promotional stuff, stuff that can let my creativity somewhat flow.. i can't stand being in a stuffy office and/or doing the same thing every single day.. *shudders* i've worked behind cash registers and that was also very boring, i would often space out and think of stuff i could be doing or day dream, but they wouldn't let me leave behind the register... so i'd often get in trouble for leaning on the register and drifting off into space or trying to do other stuff and walk around the store. i'm a bartender/server right now and i love it, for the most part.. haha, but i know i don't want to do it forever. i also work with a lot of bands that i'm friends with and do promotional stuff for them and the music venue i work at, and that's always a lot of fun. I think people that are very creative/intelligent need to be kept stimulated, but not overly stimulated... and they need to be happy and not hindered with what they do, so a place that is flexible and not too corporate. of course there are all different types of intelligence... someone that loves math may like being stuck in a room all day figuring out math problems, but to someone that is more creative (in a different way) could go crazy being in one room all day doing such a task. I work better in open, laid back but exciting environments. I like working for a greater purpose to go somewhere bigger and better.. i couldn't do ONE job all my life, especially if it went nowhere.. . I've worked at my current job for 2 years (which is a lot considering im 20) just because i am comfortable there and i often have my creative freedom and it's not a corporate BS job and i have a lot of opportunities that come along from working there and meet a lot of awesome people and have a good time. I also just got a gig, being a blackjack dealer, from a friend and i start training soon, so i'm really excited about that!! i like having a side project from time to time. don't think i'd wanna do it all my life.. but for now, it works, i'm young and it'll be another good skill to have. oh and i HAVE to be around music when i work, in some form or another... growing up in nashville, i'm used to it! i have to incorporate music into what i do, or some other creative outlet. i also enjoy doing research and innovative science and health.. that's the nerd part of me. i like being mostly professional, but don't like to work in overly professional/boring environments. also, i'm in college (communications major sociology minor, for now) but i mostly hate it.. to be honest. school is such an eye-roll to me. i'd rather be out learning about stuff that matters, but i know i should go to school considering it's hard to get hired at most places without a degree these days.
    Last edited by *~i GlOw 0F iNdIgO~*; 08-20-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    "..although I'd like to join the crowd, in their enthusiastic cloud, try as I may it doesn't last."-Sally's song.
    "Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing .ALONE."

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteran5000 Experience Points

i dont really have a home, from vancover island, but laitly i have been roaming around for 3 years
    Level
    Thanks
    I am highly offended by the idea that normal people who work normal job can't handle jobs that involve a high degree of thought....

1 how do you even measure intellagents, by memorie retention, problem solving skills? Some people are book smart, some are street smart, smart people can have moments of extream stupidity wile "slower" folk can have amazing ideas... Each person has thier own special abilities in mental and cognitive skills, just because I can't spell, does that make me stupid to you? I work a job cuting down trees... Are you saying that I will never be in genetics, or be part of a think tank operation working on anti gravity or free energy??

2 I personally believe the human mind to the the most capable, most amazing thing in all existence, it's ability to change grow and learn is unmatched by anything elce we know of, I believe you can train any person to do any job, to learn anything

3 and what about some ones belief system, that make a major impact on peoples views, what they know and what thier willing to acsept as truth, look at einstien verses some of the other scientist of the time, people thought he was crazy, insain and dident view him as smart at all... Then, he proved himself right, and the world changed forever... Dr tesla, newton, Galileo... The smartest people the world has ever known, we're thought of at the time to be just crazy, insane and lost touch with the status quo reality held at the time

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If you consider yourself gifted the only thing that will make you happy is being in a situation where you can make use of those gifts. I have had plenty of menial jobs, they all sucked. Sometimes you gotta go through college, be bored, and when you are done then you can get into something you can enjoy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat from Illinois For This Useful Post:

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranVeteran5000 Experience Points

i dont really have a home, from vancover island, but laitly i have been roaming around for 3 years
    Level
    Thanks
    Collage is nothing but day care for juvenile adults... It's a place to party, the tuitions are so much that most people spend the next ten years paying it off... No sir, I will not pay to learn... Knolage is priceless, meaning it has no cost, it is free, and should allways remain soo... I'm not here to prove to the world I'm gifted, ahhah I allready know I am... To me, the meaning of life is simply to live... To be, exsist, exspience... And I'm happy with this... What I got right here right now, I couldn't possibly ask for anything more... Family, freinds, love... The point I was trying to make before... Is not to stereotype people based on there visible level of intelligence, because people will surprise you, don't make some negative assumption that some one based of there intelegents is uncapable of a sertain action... Because we are capable of anything we set our minds to

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I believe there are two things that are a problem for people with some level of intelligence.

One is that every person that lacks the skill base that you might have acquired generally are jealous or they want to "tool" you for their benefit.
    The problem with tooling is that in many situations a intelligent person "or person looking to gain knowledge" is far to smart to be tooled; usually ending in quiting a job.

I do not claim to be intelligent, I believe that I work towards learning and gaining intelligence; I believe there is a large amount of intelligent people on this website with various skillz. I am glad to know you all and converse; I believe that over the yearz a filtering of people that were on this site to just cause trouble have disappeared.

I believe the problem that we have in this world is this; "and I really hope every one pays attention to this"

You cannot build a intellectual society from a violent start, the base of the country was violence. Many problems have been annihilated but the same problems grow in a different form.

To understand this think about it this way, in ancient times what type of people had most of the money and riches "the most violent" it was the only way to keep the treasures that you attained.
    The intelligent people were used as second rate if they were not violent enough.

The rich and wealthy were highly intelligent but their methods were brutal. And continuing to this day the say type of people control the world "please tell me that I am wrong."

When the new generations of indigo started to enter the scene, violence was possible but not totem of their idealz. The indigo had many different ideas that were outside of the linear pattern created in earlier timez for all to follow.

How was this responded to???? You got it With aggression and violence...

I have worked many jobs that are considered higher paying jobs and what I have come to realize is that in many situations it is just over glorification of friends getting friends into positions that they should not be in; the results is the destruction of the organization.

I have worked jobs that I have worn suits daily, but that is all that people will see is the suit; not the problems of the company. At my low level of intelligence I realized that many people wearing a suit were cousin to a owner or manager or so forth, and really could not get the hang of their position. But instead of releasing the person the person was allowed to stay, forcing otherz "including me" to take up their slack for their position.

Banned
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialRecommendation Second ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 2,086 Posts
    it is true that somewhere, the higher salaries who will attract many of the most intelligent ppl always been and still is the military industry, starting with blacksmith/alchemy to build swords, nowday you see einstein working for military to build atomic bomb, or many other scientists working on buidling biological or other kind of weapons =) it is also one of the thing that shocked me on a free mason graph, showing a pyramid with two stairs , one on each side, showing free masonery rite ranking progressing, lot of the one on the top are militaries =)

for menial jobs, i dunno, but it is something i started to notice, but the thing is if you are intelligent, and want to use your intelligence freely, if you work in 'intellectual job', most of the time, you'll have to put your intelligence in service of more or less spiritually useless thing, and you'll be mentally tired in the end of the day, and unable to really think about spiritual things or use your intelligence freely
    Last edited by h0bby1; 08-22-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    All I will say is even Einstein did his time as a patent clerk. That is when he did his best work.

Old Soul
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,589 Times in 2,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat from Illinois View Post
    All I will say is even Einstein did his time as a patent clerk. That is when he did his best work.
    Probably such a boring and mundane job that he had time to think

“What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if,when you awoke,you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then?”
    ― Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    yes it is abit the point with menial boring job, you can think to something else while you work, which is not the case with other 'intelectual jobs' =)

Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You know what your skills are. You have to find a job where you can use them. As for college, I would pick a major you are interested in and stick with it. If you can't find a job you can always teach it.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    or you can find a job that don't deplet your skill for that you can use them outside of a company environement

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rabana View Post
    lol. I know what you mean tho, most jobs seem involve selling useless crap to someone.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dude For This Useful Post:

cerise333 (08-22-2010), Light. (08-22-2010)

Old Soul
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephish View Post
    For me it's about environment. Whether it's menial or not, if the atmosphere is nice then I enjoy it.
    same... I used to work somewhere where the atmosphere was sooo tense I had to leave it was sooo annoying to put up with the vibes of all the stressed ppl there plus the customers but then again on top of that I had to sell useless stuff to people and ideas in which I did not believe in ... mainly cause they were crap... n they only cared about shutting up people hahaha instead of fixing the problem ... actually I think thats when I realized that wasn't my type of job cause personally I didn't trust in that company at all n I just looked around at people treating customers like shit plus selling useless stuff to them just to make profit and lies everywhere...so annoying...my type of job would be more face to face thing and moving around helping people myself
    Last edited by cerise333; 08-22-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast