Dune!

They say the human soul can't live without some forms of entertainment, what's your fancy?
Dune! «  » by Silverhaze
I know there has to be some Dune fans here on IS! I'm on the third book, just discovered the series this summer and I'm in love!

Please no spoilers though...

How do you feel about the Bene Gesserit? The Mentats? How about the Kwisatz Haderach?

I really identified with Paul's vision of the future. How it's just like seeing the places where the patterns lead. It's the best metaphor I've found thus far.

I don't know the whole series just blows my mind. I can't believe I never heard of it before this summer.
Silverhaze

«  » by h0bby1
i saw the movie and played the video game , dune 1, it is a nice game, mix adventure, economics and strategy hehe :) it is an old game :) didn't read the books, i don't remember all the details, maybe i'll get the book someday =) :)

nice to see you around btw ! :)
h0bby1

«  » by Sylvester
To the noble houses, Paul is a religious nutjob who has insinuated himself with backcountry hicks. That would be the end of it if those hicks didn't live where some very strategic resources can be found.

Sound familiar? It's more than a little horrifying to see who wins when the established groups struggle against Paul and his new family and friends.

It doesn't feel that way when you read the book, see Paul's inner drama as he becomes what he was born to be, maybe becomes more than he was born to be.

Congrats to you if you made it through the second book. I never could. I have heard you can skip it and just go on to the third book, which apparently is much better.

Cheers!
Sylvester
Sylvester

«  » by Indigo Dog
[COLOR="navy"]MoAaaahDEEEB![/COLOR]

Bene Gesserits scare the crap out of me. I read the series 20 years ago and they still give me nightmares.

Now I'm suddenly craving spice....
Indigo Dog

«  » by h0bby1
but if you like dune athmosphere, you might really enjoy dune1 game, it is old game, but i enjoy it a lot, i finished it many times lol it is a cool game that is totally in tune with dune environement =) it is not heavy like a few Mo i can put it online maybe if you want lol

http://www.abandonline.com/gameinfo.php?id=9

i think you can download it from there
h0bby1

«  » by Silverhaze
Everyone says that about the second book but I liked it a lot actually. It was a lot of psychological and strategical stuff but that was wonderful for me.
Silverhaze

«  » by Azure Prince
Dune is possibly one of my favorites scifi series. I get pissed when I miss the airings on the syfy channel
Azure Prince

«  » by Calibas
I've read all the books, notice how similar it is to Star Wars?
Calibas

«  » by Azure Prince
No. How is it similar to star wars?
Azure Prince

«  » by AmentiHall
Movie was awesome
AmentiHall

«  » by blissfulheart
Saw the movies...loved them!
blissfulheart

«  » by Calibas
Azure Prince wrote:No. How is it similar to star wars?

Well, it's kinda where Lucas got the whole idea. Here's a whole page detailing the similarities:
[url:vww7cqw0]http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html[/url:vww7cqw0]
Calibas

«  » by Silverhaze
It would be hard to write anything science fiction without being somewhat influenced by Dune. Likewise now a days it is hard to not be influenced by Star Wars. It's okay thought, they aren't so similar that it seems like the same thing. I love them both :D
Silverhaze

«  » by drakke1
I really enjoyed the Dune series, including as continuing via Herbert's son. Here's something i originally posted elsewhere regarding the books

The "Dune Series" by Frank Herbert, and, then, his son, is/are truly remarkable. They create entire universes and cultures. Mind bending in their complexity and "color". The site linked highlights some valuable material from Dune, and, in its own right, is spectacular. Very importantly, always remember, whatever can be "imagined" does exist at some level, in some dimension, of the multiverse. And, that's a fact. Thus, Spice..........

The music of a civilization has far-reaching consequences on consciousness and, thus, influences the basic nature of a society. Music and its rhythms divert and compel the awareness, describing the limits within which a consciousness, thus fascinated, may operate. Control the music, then, and you own a powerful tool with which to shape the society. - The Dosadi Analysis, BuSab documents. By Frank Herbert.

*Ridley Scott worked on bringing the film to the screen, but was unsuccessful. H.R. Giger (who worked with Scott on _Alien_ (1979)) was hired as a production designer. An earlier attempt at filming the movie in the 70s never got off the ground, but would have featured designs by Jean Giraud and H. R. Giger, a soundtrack by Pink Floyd, and Salvador Dali as Emperor Shaddam IV.

*synchronicity - Director David Lynch and producer Raffaella De Laurentiis arranged a screen test in New York with Sean Young for the role of Chani. Young's agent never told Young about the meeting, and she was in fact booked on a flight that evening to Los Angeles. Lynch and De Laurentiis missed their flight back to Los Angeles, and ended up catching the same plane as Young. During the flight, De Laurentiis noticed Young and told Lynch "I bet that girl's an actress." A stewardess told the pair that her name was Sean Young, and De Laurentiis confronted Young about standing her and Lynch up. The misunderstanding sorted out, the three ended up drinking champagne and reading the script together.

http://fusionanomaly.net/dune.html
drakke1

«  » by existencebeyondexperience
i liked the auric-gothis look and tone of the lynch movie, but the story was all wrong. the syfy one was a noble attempt, but i haven't seen the second one to make a call there. i also haven't read any of the post-mortem pieces out of a desire to keep the impression i got as pure as possible.

that said, the second three are a must-read, the first is the best but the second two are the set-up for the second three to be as awesome as they are. i'm just glad i came into it after all six were published or i'd have gone nuts waiting for the sequels to come out.

anyway, the thing that strikes me is where paul uses the missionaria protectiva against itself while simultaneously being both their prophesied one and antithesis. the other thing is leto's "golden path" taken with his own path as a startlingly elegant metaphor for the direction all life was originally created to resemble,and yet not if you know why the first one strikes me as it does. [edit] that, and atreus is perseus, but that's actually in the appendices of the first book [/edit]
existencebeyondexperience

Return to index page General Entertainment