Complicated Preacher tests my faith

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.
Hello forum, today i was invited to a church by a friend who regularly attends. I do not know what kind of sect the church was but it had all the familiar sights that most christian churches have such as donation baskets,bouncing children,and older women in conservative attire. I sat for an entire hour listening to the sermon and enduring the musical interludes. What i find most interesting is the way some preachers twist around the meaning of certain values and almost make it sound too complicated to actually apply in a conventional manner. Some of what he was saying i did not even understand as it was all in pseudo intelligent lingo that i suppose the church patrons were savvy to. I thought to myself How can i trust this person when it seems that what he is preaching seems artificial and not from the heart but from a book and not even straight from the book because he was obviously giving his own rendition. I found this most interesting.
Atreides

Do you have faith? If so in what?

Do you really want to understand what the preacher was saying?
Utopialove

I have faith. Nothing more nothing less. Faith in humility and virtue. I think that is simple, don't you? Wouldn't you agree that simplicity is the sincerest form of humility?
Atreides

[QUOTE=Atreides;744234]Hello forum, today i was invited to a church by a friend who regularly attends. I do not know what kind of sect the church was but it had all the familiar sights that most christian churches have such as donation baskets,bouncing children,and older women in conservative attire. I sat for an entire hour listening to the sermon and enduring the musical interludes. What i find most interesting is the way some preachers twist around the meaning of certain values and almost make it sound too complicated to actually apply in a conventional manner. Some of what he was saying i did not even understand as it was all in pseudo intelligent lingo that i suppose the church patrons were savvy to. I thought to myself How can i trust this person when it seems that what he is preaching seems artificial and not from the heart but from a book and not even straight from the book because he was obviously giving his own rendition. I found this most interesting.[/QUOTE]

atreides...

I am very happy you posted this...

With in is your quinessential flaw...and many others on this forum...

"I thought to myself How can i trust this person when it seems that what he is preaching seems artificial and not from the heart but from a book and not even straight from the book because he was obviously giving his own rendition. I found this most interesting."

Viveka...

why would you trust before using discernment ...

I told you then and you said I misunderstood...

I say it again

Put your trust in God..
Put you faith in God

Good luck
illuminati

What is my quintessential flaw?
Atreides

You trust man to understand what it means to be human...

It is by your nature you indulge in things beneath him, yet it is by your nature you have chosen that his qualities are beneath your own..

and so you muse

Armed with doubt and contempt you charge truth as false and elevate what is false to truth, and still are unresolved wandering if you are satisfied with yourself.

And so your calamity is a consequence of self not him, for you have told the world that the god of abraham, of moses, of the christ is not your god
illuminati

How did you come to such a broad conclusion? I think you misunderstood.
Atreides

[QUOTE=illuminati;744250]You trust man to understand what it means to be human...

It is by your nature you indulge in things beneath him, yet it is by your nature you have chosen that his qualities are beneath your own..

This is incorrect and a statement fabricated to make me seem like i felt he was beneath me because i didn't trust him. Very big assumption.

and so you muse

Armed with doubt and contempt you charge truth as false and elevate what is false to truth, and still are unresolved wandering if you are satisfied with yourself.

This does not make any logical sense.

And so your calamity is a consequence of self not him, for you have told the world that the god of abraham, of moses, of the christ is not your god

Where are you finding calamity? I think these ideas you have are fabricated from your own "calamity"..[/QUOTE]

My comments are in bold.
Atreides

[QUOTE=Atreides;744255]My comments are in bold.[/QUOTE]

i am smiling at you

its right before you..and those that understand God can point it out to you.

please look at the title of your thread...

testing your faith ... how if you are firm in that faith...
yet you cant trust the preacher because of his convolted delivery... why unless you think he can explain your faith better than you can...

are you satisfied in your faith...?

once faith is obtained it is everlasting....

that is your test....
illuminati

My observation of the church leader led me to feel as if he wasn't being completely sincere in his sermon. It seemed a bit contrived. I have spent a lot of time with many different sorts of people and have a developed a sense for when someone is speaking not from a source of self. Anyone who preaches with a blind conviction may appear to be a strong individual but the truth of the matter is that it is still blind conviction. Now i had a choice when sitting there. I could have nodded my head and accepted what he was saying verbatim even though his words did not resonate with my heart or i could question and use viveka to decide for myself. I chose the latter even though everyone else in the room took the former. If he was sincere i do not know or claim to know, i only know what was felt in my heart. I have always imagined a buddha speaking in simple terms analogies and puzzles. Perhaps it is my flaw that i believe simplicity should be the key to understanding what it is to be human.
Atreides

"Armed with doubt and contempt you charge truth as false and elevate what is false to truth, and still are unresolved wandering if you are satisfied with yourself.

This does not make any logical sense."

I will not explain this to you yet...
but the logic is profound.....

Armed with doubt and contempt
you charge truth as false
elevate what is false to truth
and still are unresolved wandering if you are satisfied with yourself

i am smiling...i was compelled to write that to you and then with your comment you force me to find your words...
this is what you just wrote last night....

something speaks to me when i speak to you all on this forum...and still you fight me because of what i say...
i present this to you its your words;

"I have felt this way. Sometimes i even feel an emptiness where some might feel extreme joy. It feels like not really caring enough about the way something is suppose to satisfy you. This could be that many indigo souls have actually fallen from a better future and are here to help in someway help humanity ascend. Many do not know what makes them feel fulfilled because it doesnt exist yet making many indigos become hopelessly lost in a reality that is lacking the consciousness that they remember so well and are here to bring into manifestation. This is all just theories ofcorse but i find fulfillment in sharing information. "
http://indigosociety.com/showthread.php?38315-So-I-m-having-a-hard-time&p=743773#post743773

I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY...

I searched for your words so that you could listen to yourself...and see that I know you without the veneer that you parade for the rest of the messae board.

Take Care i have to watch smallville
illuminati

Your mystical intellect eludes me.
Atreides

by Lake
Every group develops a common internal vocabulary. Look at all the acronyms engineers use--but I know there's still a space shuttle and a telephone system and roads despite the corporate speak. Phrases can be shortcuts to larger ideas.

The truest truth can be represented by the poorest rhetorician or the greatest rhetorician. But the representation of truth isn't itself the truth. Same for falsehoods. MLK and Hitler were both great rhetoricians, but only the former is my hero of the two.
Lake

Return to index page Indigo Cafe