values in the material world

Need advice on something? We're here to help. Ask away!
Ok, I'm gonna try and keep this brief. Those of you who have read my posts lately will know where I'm at.

Basically I'm having a crisis of sorts. Specifically in light of the psychic/spiritual pull away from the physical.

Why I wonder, do we force ourselves into the slavery of working fulltime?

For the last five years I have only worked part time, I chose this as I didn't feel I needed the money. I can get by quite comfortably on 20hrs a week.

Yes, I'm lucky enough to not have children, a mortgage and other controlling factors.

But in saying that - I'm 30 this year and I made a conscious decision to do that, I hate being restricted or cornered by money, I always have.

I have had comments/arguments with family etc about the value of money, the fact that people spend in proportion to their earnings.

I'm tired of the stigma in society that says we should

A) work full time
B) if you don't like your job, just get another (easier said than done)
C) if you choose an alternative lifestyle (part time work etc) that you're lazy, or that it's foolish (not to have 10 grand savings)
D) unconventional paths are a waste of "time"

Now obviously I haven't been older. I am going by gut instinct that this is right for me. It's the last ten years - my whole working life that I base this on.

Watching people - who preach to me - live miserable lives just maintaining the material things that, no offence - own them, is really sad.

There is a nagging voice in my head that wonders if it is naïve, and I may run into trouble.

I'm just wondering what experiences you guys have had. How you manage in a world where your values are at odds with the people around you..

Thanks in advance!
Lady Neptune

by alan
Lady Neptune,

One thing I did with my money is give the left over I earn from my 40 hrs a week pay check to those that don't have money, but I'm very selective who I give it to. This is part of my work for the greater good of man kind. This is in addition to the cut already made by Uncle Sam. I don't give it to organization because I don't trust my money in ordinary hand; they tend to loose themself when they see greens. I give it directly to the one that need it. This help me from not being greedy and to understand people's tough time. My wife and children understand though, but not my my side of the family nor relative. They disagree to the point they call me crazy and hate me. But it's ok, me and my family are happy and healthy and that's all that matters. What if I lost my job? People been losing their job everywhere and it ain't coming back. If I lose my job, I ask the guy up there to help me find me a new job. It was him that helped me get this job and to where I'm at now. Anyway, I've got a stash of silvers to use in case the dollar looses value.

I grow most of my food and buy most of my meat directly from the farm so they are fresh butchered, cheaper and has no chemical. My goal is to become 90% independent of outside resource.

[QUOTE=Lady Neptune;781730]Ok, I'm gonna try and keep this brief. Those of you who have read my posts lately will know where I'm at.

Basically I'm having a crisis of sorts. Specifically in light of the psychic/spiritual pull away from the physical.

Why I wonder, do we force ourselves into the slavery of working fulltime?

For the last five years I have only worked part time, I chose this as I didn't feel I needed the money. I can get by quite comfortably on 20hrs a week.

Yes, I'm lucky enough to not have children, a mortgage and other controlling factors.

But in saying that - I'm 30 this year and I made a conscious decision to do that, I hate being restricted or cornered by money, I always have.

I have had comments/arguments with family etc about the value of money, the fact that people spend in proportion to their earnings.

I'm tired of the stigma in society that says we should

A) work full time
B) if you don't like your job, just get another (easier said than done)
C) if you choose an alternative lifestyle (part time work etc) that you're lazy, or that it's foolish (not to have 10 grand savings)
D) unconventional paths are a waste of "time"

Now obviously I haven't been older. I am going by gut instinct that this is right for me. It's the last ten years - my whole working life that I base this on.

Watching people - who preach to me - live miserable lives just maintaining the material things that, no offence - own them, is really sad.

There is a nagging voice in my head that wonders if it is naïve, and I may run into trouble.

I'm just wondering what experiences you guys have had. How you manage in a world where your values are at odds with the people around you..

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
alan

Lady Neptune I hear you! My values are completely out of sync with those dictated to me by the media and my family. They think my values are crazy and that I'm hurting myself. They want me to work towards the white picket fence, get married, and you know keep up with the Jones's. I feel so alone, I want to live for free and give for free, and by free I mean without monetary restrictions. I want a world of co-operation. Materialistic values disgust me. People are so self serving, I miss the simpler times. I feel like I don't belong here, but maybe it's the greed that doesn't belong here. I'm not sure what to do I so reject the system, but I'm finding it's almost necessary to comply if you want to get ahead. I'm lost with what to do in this strange foreign world..
vividtwist

Great thread. I have noticed many people who dedicate their life to working a menial job full time are usually the most suppressed of humans. The work ethic that our society has adopted is only to reinforce the american way life, productivity, convenience, monetary slavery. Just the fact alone that we have been born into a system of cyclical debt is fucked up enough without taking into consideration how we are manipulated into spending on things we don't need and that are made to not last so that we have to keep spending a fictional currency that doesnt even have backing. The whole financial situation in america is so unstable that i am surprised that we are still functioning. Even though we are on the brink of an economic meltdown we are still bombarded with subliminal advertising to make you want to spend away and forget about the looming crisis, but don't worry about that, "You should work full-time, dont spend your free time thinking about the subtleties of existence and ways to grow spiritually, if you don't grind mindlessly at a 9-5 then you are lazy". Some people have to do it, maybe it weaves into the grander tapestry of life, but not everyone, those who are blessed with awareness should be mindful of their time and spend their time extending their consciousness into new heights. why would you work full time to produce more money than you actually need, giving up your 'you' time for a payment and neglecting how precious your life is in every moment. I value every minute of my time, while working at something you love would be a different story, i can't see myself passionate about anything that does not promote wellness for humanity. I will continue on with my nomadic unconventional life amidst the living dead. Noone owns me or my time, if i have to work to survive, i will, but i will not sell my soul to a machine.

I feel most concerned for my parents, who believe that working is 'the only way'
MiamiSound

Awww sometimes I get so excited in these forums!! It's amazing to communicate with so many like minded people!! Refreshing! The values of big corporations, and gov't disgust me. Waste is valued over giving!! You can get fired from McDonalds for giving a starving man a burger! The rich would rather waste than give! I don't want to live in a world like that!! It goes against everything I believe in! I watched "Maxed Out" a documentary on Netflix last night and it was sad to see the extent the people in power exploit the American people. Maybe the gov't isn't violently attacking it's people like some countries, but they're psychologically attacking them which is even worse! :(
vividtwist

by Zaher
Rebel Against Slavery
Zaher

by Calerva
[QUOTE=Zaher;781797]Rebel Against Slavery[/QUOTE]

“We have a predator that came from the depths of the cosmos and took over the rule of our lives. Human beings are its prisoners. The predator is our lord and master. It has rendered us docile, helpless. If we want to protest, it suppresses our protest. If we want to act independently, it demands that we don’t do so. They took over because we are food for them, and they squeeze us mercilessly because we are their sustenance. Just as we rear chickens in chicken coops the predators rear us in human coops. Therefore their food is always available to them.” ~ Don Juan, The Active Side of Infinity

Don Juan and Carlos spoke of inorganic beings as an energetic awareness in the cosmos that don’t have form. The most common of these is The Predator which has instilled us with its mindset in order to harvest our awareness as food to sustain itself. Other inorganic beings reside in our “airspace” or alternate realities or in our minds (foreign installation). They most specifically feed off of fear because fear brings up the strongest emotion making it easy to recognize due to the humongous aura it produces. It’s all energy and the inorganics can sense it. When they do, they glom onto it and feed incessantly, if they are allowed. Some inorganic beings are adept at raising fear in people. For instance, I used to walk in the desert at night with fellow warriors to “hunt power”. One of the warriors was always preoccupied with attracting the inorganics and in holding that preoccupation would ultimately attract them. I always said outloud and sternly, “Get out of here, we have nothing for you.” If they continued to remain I would become fierce and tell them that they were pathetic and were more like petty tyrants than powerful beings and they would leave.

The Predator, don Juan explained, is the worst enemy because it is more than just one inorganic being at work, it is an entire conglomeration of awareness that stretches back thousands of years and has gained so much energy and force. As he said, this Predator has instilled humanity with its mindset. To explain this in depth will take pages and pages but one is able to understand the surface of this by reading The Active Side of Infinity by Carlos Castaneda and I strongly recommend it. I bring this up because of the volatile situation we, as human beings, have reduced ourselves to in our slavery to this Predator. Since it first inflicted itself upon humanity about 7,000 years ago, possibly longer, people have been rebelling against it. Others are reluctant to believe in its existence because there is no tangible evidence but nothing can be closer to the truth. The saying, “there is nothing to fear but fear itself” is most likely derived as a result of someone who was unwittingly feeding the Predator. If one is afraid and an inorganic being notices the energetic band of awareness that is steeped in fear, they swoop in and do what they do, they play on the fear, make the fear bigger and begin to feast.

It is because of its existence that warriors fiercely dedicate their lives to freedom. The energy of the Predator has essentially created the Salvationist myth which is enshrouded in doing things correctly and in compliance in order to ensure that you and the world will be saved through prayer, rightful action and obedience. If a particular Salvationism myth doesn’t work for a group of people then a new savior is introduced and for years and years nothing has changed except for the reclassification and relabeling of the “savior” which has most typically been in religious form. And for as long as people have been turning away from religious structure to find something more fulfilling the Predator introduces new saviors that will ensure our captivity. Aliens is a great example because it creates the mindset that allows for the belief that they will come here from outer space with compassion and grace in order to help us save ourselves and our planet. John Lash calls the aliens in this example The Archons (read more here) and I encourage viewing his movie called Sophia Returning: The Path to Planetary Tantra to provide a deeper understanding of the mess we are in. Our true and only lifeforce connection and “savior” if you have to use that word is Mother Earth. The Predator has worked diligently to disconnect us from our connection to her creating a separation so fierce that it is killing us. We must return to the earth, we simply must.

In the above quote from don Juan he says, “Just as we rear chickens in chicken coops the predators rear us in human coops” and that they have instilled their mindset upon us. Take a look at what we are doing. We are so deeply enmeshed within this mindset that we have become the Predator and have been factory farming our animals treating them as a commodity instead of respecting them as living beings. Uncanny. The Predator rears us as farmed humans and its inflicted mindset upon us has caused us to rear animals in the exact same manner. As long as we keep fattening ourselves up by ingesting these antibiotic and growth hormone induced unnatural commodities (not to mention poisoned produce) we will continue to remain fearful, distracted and weakened as a result of it which will make us easier prey in the long run. And in the end we will have completely destroyed our connection with all living things and depleted our resources and polluted our seas and air to blindly become fodder for a force beyond our wildest imaginations.

It is time now, more than ever, for people to wake up from the state of utter delusion and slavery that we have reduced ourselves to and stop relying on a savior. We must take responsibility to ensure that drastic changes occur that will allow us to begin our cumulative disengagement from the grasp of the Predator. If not now, when?

“They called them inorganic beings, and described them as clumps of cohesive energy that are invisible to the human eye, energy that is aware of itself.” ~ Don Juan, A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
Calerva

Very true Calvera, the predators methods are not sustainable though. There WILL be a boiling point & this situation is going to boil over. Hopefully the people are strong and can minimize the damage to our beautiful Earth. Unfortunately I feel that only when we've destroyed everything we thought was worth fighting for, will we finally find peace. When the world is decimated beyond recognition, the people left standing will reject society as we know it now. They'll yearn to be in touch with our fair and loving Earth again.
vividtwist

You guys are best! I feel surrounded by this maddness, everywhere but here... X

Atm I'm not working shoulder/neck injury. My sister and I aren't speaking for this reason. Her opinion is that I'm just faking it, and will continue to do so as I'm just looking for any excuse not to work. She has never lived out of home thus never had to worry about bills, her entire income is expendable.

I argued with my Dad about the same point Miami made about work being the 'only way'. This of course was prompted by a discussion about retirement and it not being an option due to debt. Watching that has been a shaping factor. The struggle, the stress, the depression - why would you wish that on your child?

I've survived so far on the law of attraction, when I really need something (food shelter etc) they just 'pop' out, you know? Rental or job ads for what I have been wishing for are highlighted...

I don't imagine ever being able to afford to mortgage a house, I don't have a car, I don't want to raise a child/ren that have to live with a stressed out mum cause she's going mad working two jobs...

Not to say that I wouldn't like these things. We are conditioned to want as Vividtwist said "the white picket fence"

I simply don't NEED it. I've worked long hours before and made good money. I was no happier then than I am now.

I'm happy to work, I believe in community and pulling your weight. As I said to my dad : I make enough to cover costs. I'm not left begging, so what's the problem??

If I was lucky enough as Alan is to be able to donate money I would. I have always given spare money to charity when I can, however they are organisations and it feels much better helping people on a personal basis.

I dunno. it's a hard world to live in. We're out numbered and sadly I only feel free inside my flat. Censoring yourself to avoid the issue just makes me feel fake. Yet I do it more and more...
Lady Neptune

Just wondering, what do you do with the extra 20 hours a week?
Sylvester

[QUOTE=Sylvester;781807]Just wondering, what do you do with the extra 20 hours a week?[/QUOTE]

Good question

Well I said 20 hrs because it's about the average of my working life plus it's enough, but I work 25-30 in my current job (not right now, but for the past 6 months. Before that a minimum of 30)

Not sure how to answer your question... While working? Not much. I haven't got the energy. I usually spend time reading, watching movies and doing domestic stuff like cleaning. Pretty much veg out. (Sounds terrible writing it down).

I've got a BA in printmaking + drawing so I do that on occasion, generally as I said I'm too tired.

I'm also qualified as a hairdresser so in a sense I have a second casual job. I do that every week or so, but I rarely charge for it. If I do it's 'mates rates' or swap for a meal.

I'm a real homebody (cancer rising). I guess while it may look like I'm not achieving anything right now I'm content that of the last 10yrs I have spent 8 of them working + getting qualifications.

Funny you ask, I noticed i got a twinge of defensiveness despite feeling commited to my ideals.

Must be the programming, haha ;)
Lady Neptune

Judge not, my favorite commandment and sadly the most disregarded.. :( Don't worry Lady no one here would judge you, but I know what you mean about the programming. I had an injury and haven't worked in a while and when people ask what I'm doing I feel that same twinge. I've spent countless hours advocating online on things like human and animal rights, marijuana reform, domestic violence, etc yet I don't feel like I should mention it because I didn't receive an income for it? Which is strange because I should be proud of that but a lot of people see it as a waste of time.
vividtwist

Actually I see it as a blessing that I couldn't work for so many months, because I really found my passion in life. Now that I'm better I hope I can find a career that pays the bills and helps the people. I don't need much to be happy & I'd rather have a full heart than a full bank account.
vividtwist

[QUOTE=vividtwist;781832]Actually I see it as a blessing that I couldn't work for so many months, because I really found my passion in life. Now that I'm better I hope I can find a career that pays the bills and helps the people. I don't need much to be happy & I'd rather have a full heart than a full bank account.[/QUOTE]

So true. The last two weeks I've been really digging deep unearthing the reasons behind why I feel so disconnected.
I know in my heart this injury is real, and am sure there is a stress/emotional connection. That stuff has been proven - with science! (gasp)
This thread was more or less prompted by the inner change I've had both while working and not working.
Some part of me was dying, every inch of me screamed to run away, but I didn't. I know my injury was my body putting it's metaphorical foot down.
I've had the chance to really stop and think about what I need, not what they want.
Still no idea what 'job' I should get, but it's important more than ever that I can have balance.
Technically I still have a job, my heart has quit though.
Lady Neptune

You'll find yourself! I just found I spent so much time advocating that it would be silly of me not to pursue it as a career. I love communicating with people, I want to promote more honest communications though. More accountability on the part of government and large corporations. I'd love to do exposes & embarrass big corporations by bringing to light their less than admirable values and wasteful ways.
vividtwist

Also:
How do you guys respond to criticism?
What sort of work do you do if any?
Otherwise how do you manage within the system?

Alan you mentioned growing your own food and getting meat from local farms
I just find this near impossible in the/my city.
I don't eat a lot of meat, I could take it or leave it.
I don't have a garden (though I'm sure a relative would let me use theirs.. Hmm idea..)

Lots of questions I know, I'm on a mission to make sure I don't fall back in the hole.
Lady Neptune

LN - I tend to undersell myself. Have to think if you represented yourself as working 25-30 (heck, just say 30) hours a week plus occasionally a second job plus occasionally your art if you wouldn't get a better reaction with no change in how you pursue your values.

I've got a job (40-60 hours a week), mortgage, 2 kids. I often find myself thinking "if I only had a little more time...maybe I'd write my book, start an alchemy lab, or just get my daily workouts done." I'd sure like to see someone who has the time live the dream, you know? I (dare I say We, the other people similarly situated) would like to be jealous of you not just for having the time but because you are doing something really beautiful with it. It's a good part of your story that you've spent a lot of time getting educated. I hope you use that to do somethin, I don't know, spectacular, unexpected....

Please don't hear me as telling you how to live your life. Instead, let me encourage you to live it to it's fullest, even if that means not changing anything.

All my best,
Syl
Sylvester

Perhaps then it's about not being swayed by opinion. It's hardest when you look up to someone, they will always seem to be looking down...
That if there are a couple months of down time where you focus on your spirituality, that's ok.
I have high expectations of myself, and I suppose if I'm getting negative feedback I wonder if I'm on the wrong path.
People have spoken about indigo anger, I'd say that's true for me. I'm unconventional and rebellious, I hate to toe the line.
I should start a revolution loljk
Lady Neptune

[QUOTE=Lady Neptune;781846]
Otherwise how do you manage within the system?
[/QUOTE]

When it comes to working in a job, I accept that right now, I have to work full time to earn enough money for what I want and need (rent, bills, food, etc). For example, I love belly dance classes, I currently go to 2 a week, I don't need to go to them, but it is a love of mine, and I feel good doing it, so to me it is money well spent.

Whatever is right for the person...be it working part time or full time, or doing something different being self employed...

For many years, I have wanted to live outside of a city, somewhere green and full of nature, and in my own home, but, I cannot afford to do that, yet...I choose not to get a mortgage, it would take me several years to save up (hard) enough money for the deposit alone (I earn a low wage compared to the UK average), and it doesn't feel right for me to do at all...so I won't...

I have had a little pressure from a few others, in the past, to go for higher paid jobs (I have a degree), but I don't want to as they are either managerial type positions (not for me), highly stressed/highly pressured jobs (not good for my health), or just the kind of job that doesn't suit me at all (for example, lots of public speaking involved), therefore, I knew/know, that I would be very unhappy in those kinds of jobs, and so to me, it is not even nearly worth it just to earn more money...
Amethyst

I work only to get by, money doesnt mean anything to me. And to feel that is a freedom not many have, atleast how i see it. Many people disagree with me, but i mean if you think about it. Does buying a new 60" flatscreen tv make life better? Or having 1 million dollars, i dont think so. And many people with alot of money, get scared of loosing it.

For me its about freedom, the less i have, the more i have if it makes any sense to you? :)
turbosallad

Return to index page Personal Advice