How many here on IS are on some type of medication?

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.
Thanks for sharing Owlman,

I'll send you a pm.
Amethyst

Blogs: 10

Amethyst, I tried to pm you back, but the system said that I could not until you deleted some of your older messages. I hope that it is okay that I said that.
Owlman

^thanks for letting me know owlman, I didn't know that my pm box was full, I'll delete some now.
Amethyst

Blogs: 10

AquarianBlue

I think a lot of people are afraid that if they truly accept the cause of mental illness that it will lead to them not believing in life after death. Since mental illness seems to show that consciousness is so dependent on what goes on in the brain chemically. So it stands to reason that once brain activity stops, so would the mind. I think though that different types of states in the brain chemically act like receivers picking up certain frequencies of consciousness from the soul. I see the brain as being like a radio, and the mind is like the radio waves. Even when the radio is destroyed the radio waves are still there. The brain just acts as a focus of mental energy.

Owlman

I have been thinking when they label questions chemical imbalances do they actually test for that or it just induced from a checklist?
AquarianBlue

I took Xanax once and realized that Stephen Colbert is not funny. I took it because a doctor had me on a week-long round of steroids that made me insane. Never again. Beyond that, it's been the rare antibiotic and Advil.
MysticalJazz

When a person suffers from mental illness they have either to few, or to many of a certain kind of neurotransmitter. Psych drugs bring neurotransmitters back into balance. Also brain structures sometimes are not developed or wired up right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXx9qlJetSU&feature=related
Owlman

I ended up taking medication because I wasn't sleeping at all... (for several days), and my ideas got all messed up. Doctors had to stop me, make me sleep and put my brain back to normal.
blackzafiro

No meds for me lol
pebble

Blogs: 4

I'm not sure if my sister is indigo, she's definitely empathic and highly sensitive though. And yeah she's on antidepressants. I love her and I wish I could get her off them... and onto a placebo at the very least which would be better than what she's getting. Hah. Or reiki, which is the placebo effect plus REAL positive healing minus ZERO side effects.

I don't think reiki comes under the free health care plan in England though. :(
Andrew Gubb

" wrote:I took Xanax once and realized that Stephen Colbert is not funny. I took it because a doctor had me on a week-long round of steroids that made me insane. Never again. Beyond that, it's been the rare antibiotic and Advil.

Oh God, steroids are evil.

I swear, if I met the doctor who put me on them... I'm not sure if I could control myself...
Andrew Gubb

Mine is premium gin & tonic. Holding the bull by the horns by waiting till lunch time (with the exception of all inclusive holidays)

Cheers

james
james

Blogs: 1

I self prescribe herbs for mental stuff. St. Johns Wort for mood leveling, Chamomile for hyperactivity and Kava for blood pressure. Also Cinnamon , but I forget what that was for. I also use Lavender as aroma therapy and a seasoning to relax. Maybe that stuff doesn't really count if the poll is for prescription pharmaceuticals.
Indigo Dog

Blogs: 29

" wrote:I have been thinking when they label questions chemical imbalances do they actually test for that or it just induced from a checklist?

No, they do no chemical tests, it's pretty much arbitrary. I was told I had a chemical imbalance and bipolar disorder although there was no reason to think I had BP as BP is a mood disorder and my moods were perfectly consistent. I later read that they commonly label people with bi-polar disorder and tell you that you have a chemical imbalance when they dont know whats wrong with you(usually nothing is). After my experience with multiple doctors, I have no faith what-so-ever in the mental health industry. It is a joke, they talk to you for a few minutes and then put you on some antidepressants. Their just drug dealers.
Smile

" wrote:I self prescribe herbs for mental stuff. St. Johns Wort for mood leveling, Chamomile for hyperactivity and Kava for blood pressure. Also Cinnamon , but I forget what that was for. I also use Lavender as aroma therapy and a seasoning to relax. Maybe that stuff doesn't really count if the poll is for prescription pharmaceuticals.

I took St. Johns Wort for about 3 or 4 years, it worked for a while but my system got immune to it and stopped working. Anything else similar you can suggest?
Hall

" wrote:Oh God, steroids are evil.

I swear, if I met the doctor who put me on them... I'm not sure if I could control myself...

I was on 120mil twice a day for 7 years, from age 7 to 14, due to severe ulcerative colitis...My biological mom is 5'10'' biological dad 6'4" and I am a whopping 5'2"(=P prednisone for stunting my growth) other developmental delays and deficiencies, but they kept me from dying until science found another way that worked for me. Like I-dog I like to keep it au naturelle these days.
pebble

Dear Hall,

My life long challenge of dissolving depression without the use of conventional medication has been a really long road. I decided not to use prescription drugs ( my family wanted me to because they were sick and tired of me being depressed and suicidal.) All research I did and questions I asked people about how the drugs affected their day to day lives kind of scared me. Certain drugs made some patients more suicidal and other drugs killed the sex drive. ( Having my sex drive taken from me alone was enough to want me to off myself!)

I finally got through my dark time by hitting bottom and losing everything that was important to me. I'm not suggesting that, only stating my journey. You can all skip the losing everything and go straight to getting happy.

When I lost everything I truly stopped caring what other people thought. I no longer cared about pleasing my parents, my boss or anyone at all. I was numb and empty and had nothing to loose. When you release yourself from the invisible contracts that are drilled into your mind from birth something amazing happens. I gave myself a break. I let go. I stopped trying to drive my life and just let it unfold. Normally I was a very driven and intensely motivated person, a mover and a shaker. I did it to make money, make a career and try and get the approval of the world. And then I stopped...

I felt a little better after that, but having had my life scripted by everyone around me except myself made me a life goal retard. I had no idea of what I wanted. I didn't know what made me happy. It was the first time in my life that I had to answer to myself. So, in my desperation of trying to save myself from drowning in my own past baggage and fear I reached for the nearest thing to rescue myself. ( With mixed results.)

The one smart thing I did was to reach out for help. I asked my Mom to be there for me as I was fragile mentally and she rose to the occasion. I asked my best friend to look out for me as I was adrift and he eventually married me. ( That was a good call...)

After plateauing for a few years chasing my hearts desires in business and being a married lady to a nice guy things got complacent. Or rather my higher soul moved on to bigger and better things and I stayed in a rut. A miserable, stubborn rut that made me so unhappy that those exit strategy suicide thoughts came back with alarming familiarity.

I did what any self respecting Indigo Lightworker would do. I ordered every self help booked from Amazon.com and meditated like it was Armageddon tomorrow. This is the sum total of what I have learned to overcome depression and live in bliss.

Your job is to love you. Know what foods you like and what makes you smile and do it often. This is more important than any medication ever created. Serve your joy.

The next suggestion is highly controversial on these boards but it helped me so I post it. Stay away from negative people. Look, I know that in life they will find you, but you don't have to cater to them all the time. Honor your soul and your time by keeping your personal contacts ones that are nurturing and balanced. I realized that I would never let jerks and bitches spend time with my precious son, but I was submitting myself to those kind of people everyday! I had to learn to value myself enough to protect me from unhealthy relationships. ( Still working on discernment in that area to this day...)

Appreciate. See the good in your life right now. Even if it is only a moment of sun glinting off of a leaf in a lovely way then appreciate that. You are closest to God's ear when you are in appreciation. I believe that depression is wallowing in resistance in your life and the cure is to appreciate.

As I learn to be good to myself and appreciate all the great and wonderful things happening everyday the universe just keeps bringing me more and more awesomeness. The depression has left me. My mood is more balanced and I haven't had a suicidal thought in 6 years.

The best part is discovering what you like. Do you like Indian food? Is hanging out in the park with Seniors your idea of a good time? Do you want a pet turtle? What kind of movies make you happy? Is owning the whole video game series of Final Fantasy the key to your joy? Do you want to open a Bass Boat charter? I like this part of finding joy the best!

Whatever it takes to find relief and define your personal happiness is the path I have taken. I have nothing against Meds if that is what gives you some relief. Serving your joy gets at the root of the unhappiness.
Indigo Dog

Blogs: 29

Thank you I.Dog and bless you. :)
I have to admit I used a lot of illegal drugs in the past and loved them. So the xanax is sort of a legal chill pill for me and serves its purpose as well. I can stop taking them easily and I do for periods of time, the hardest part is to not get any sleep for a whole week when I do that.
Not sure if I want to get off of them or not, I kind of like them..
Hall

" wrote:Thank you I.Dog and bless you. :)
I have to admit I used a lot of illegal drugs in the past and loved them. So the xanax is sort of a legal chill pill for me and serves its purpose as well. I can stop taking them easily and I do for periods of time, the hardest part is to not get any sleep for a whole week when I do that.
Not sure if I want to get off of them or not, I kind of like them..

my chill pill is green:)
pebble