Indigo Member
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialSocialSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

That one "friend" trying to hold you back from succeeding in life.

I noticed that threads about psychic/Emotional vampires are many in numbers here on IS. But there's one sub-type of psychic vampirism you haven't talked about (at least specifically).

I am talking about the hardest of them all to get rid of, because they are a part of your life due to actually being positive for you in the beginning, slowly becoming a close friend. Eventually the relationship evolves into a repeating circle where your "friend" demotivates and makes you believe you can't achieve stuff (work related or otherwise), as if they can't stand watching a friend doing well, so they have to drag you into their own miserable way of living.

I have had two people in the past that fits this category of vampirism, and it seems like the only solution that worked well was to stop being around them, despite how much they beg you to stay. It's sad when what used to be a good friendship needs to end, but this is the only way to solve a situation like this (as far as I know).

Where am I going with this? Well... I just realized a friend of mine is a classic example of a close psychic vampire. My question is: According to your experience. What other solution works ... that doesn't involve getting rid of him, because I do care much about this person as he has helped me in the past MANY times(and i know the fact that he's been supportive in the past will be used as an excuse for him to re-establish the friendship again).

The real secret of magic is that the world is made of words, and that if you know the words that the world is made of you can make of it whatever you wish - Terence McKenna

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupYour first GroupYour first GroupYour first Group
    Level
    Thanks
    The only way I see, Is to help him be more positive about his own life.
    Or,help him out with some of the major things holding HIM back.
    Your friend, Is probably just scared you'll not want to be his friend anymore.
    Especially If your doing THAT much better than him.
    Kinda like when a girlfriend/boyfriend starts to get all clingy when they are scared of losing you.
    Have you asked the person how they have been doing lately?That sort of thing??
    IDK, thats just my take on it.
    Last edited by SoundSleeper; 02-26-2012 at 01:30 AM.
    Hidden Content <==== *The world through my eyes *

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SoundSleeper For This Useful Post:

Lelitu (03-10-2012)

Indigo Newbie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registered1 year registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I have had a friend like this in the past. Luckily things naturally drifted apart, well she moved three provinces away. Recently ive decided to cut ties with a friend i had in school who's boyfriend seems to think im incapable of intelligent thought because of my beliefs and lifestyle. I went through a few months of intense guilt because i thought there was something wrong with me because i couldnt handle that person. It took me a while to accept that there is nothing wrong with me and nothing wrong with deciding who is in my life. Its not wrong, its not right, its just what is, and i want my life filled with people who lift me up and that i can love unconditionally in return. I know you said you didnt want to be rid of him but i dunno what else i can say.... In a perfect world it would be great to be able to trump any negative energy with your good vibes and or be able to attract only the like minded into your life and anything that isnt harmonizing with your frequency just goes away.

Indigo Rookie
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registered1 year registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    In a perfect world it would be great to be able to trump any negative energy with your good vibes and or be able to attract only the like minded into your life and anything that isnt harmonizing with your frequency just goes away.
    They have to know why one way or another. Words don't seem to work, maybe experience? This seems to be human nature, and it magnifies with each slight, insignificant step of perceived progress; except when you don't follow the norm of controlling, reducing and manipulating people as easy as breathing like they do then you'll find time after time - people are a real drag to carry with, they maneuver logic with precision. Or they use your weaknesses to their advantage and drain the life right out of you.
    Last edited by TheStrengthOfWe; 02-28-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialSocialSocial1 year registered

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    don't hold on to negative people.

friends come and go.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to silvercharm For This Useful Post:

TheStrengthOfWe (03-03-2012)

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entry10000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It is you that was sent to help them, your desire to achieve so much has left you a friend less instead... I mean if you knew better than them, how come you couldn't tell them the way it is... If then they choose not change toward you in keeping a friendship, then it's their loss, and not yours. You can learn from a vampire because all life has an intelligence behind it. Greedy people are always out to get something, does this not make you a vampire aswel?

Indigo Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    It is you that was sent to help them, your desire to achieve so much has left you a friend less instead... I mean if you knew better than them, how come you couldn't tell them the way it is...
    Maybe they don't understand. It's not wrong to want to achieve and realize that certain people are holding you back from making positive steps...

Indigo Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStrengthOfWe View Post
    Maybe they don't understand. It's not wrong to want to achieve and realize that certain people are holding you back from making positive steps...
    Maybe you dont understand..
    Theres a reason you have a friend like that in the first place.
    At some level, a person has to share a common bond with someone to even become friends in the first place.Or..thrive off the feeling of superiority that you get,by feeling better than your "friend".
    All mammalian relationship's in nature can be broken down into participating with a form of symbiosis.
    Who do you know of..outside of family, that would stick around..
    If something shameful happened to you???
    Would It be your competitive co-workers that would worry about their own reputation..???
    Or a friend that's having a rough time themselves??
    Some people are eternally selfish and will show their true face to you in due time..
    More than likely at the worse possible moment.
    Yes, your better off without the mean ones.
    But sometimes, your just steppin on the little guy, on the way to the top of your own pyramid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SoundSleeper For This Useful Post:

Odin (03-02-2012)

Old Soul
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialVeteranTagger Second ClassOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercharm View Post
    don't hold on to negative people.

friends come and go.
    This.

The whole first part of the OP describes EXACTLY a long term friendship of mine that I had to let go of awhile ago. She was very positive in the beginning...and the weird part is she didn't have a "miserable way of living" herself at all. But something about our connection dissolved and for whatever reason, whenever I talked to her I felt drained and upset. She had a way of saying things to me that always seemed like she was judging me. Maybe she didn't mean it that way, but I couldn't talk to her about it either without it being more negative. It got to a point where I felt intimidated and stressed even trying to talk to her so I just stopped... I was hoping maybe she'd reach out to me but she never did. It's been over a year now since we talked, I think.

You know the really weird part too? I wrote her this long (handwritten) 3 page letter...I got all my feelings out, was honest about everything she ever made me feel and why I stopped talking to her (in a kind, non confrontational sort of way)...and as soon as I wrote it all I felt better. I was planning on sending it to her, I even had it addressed and everything and every time I was going to walk to the mailbox with it I just stood there, frozen. And it wasn't a fear sort of frozen, it was like everything in my intuition was telling me NO. DO NOT SEND THIS TO HER. I'm not sure if she would've reacted negatively, or if it just wouldn't have done any good, or if she and I, for whatever reason, just aren't meant for each other anymore. But I trust my gut.

It all comes down to this: people change. Years ago I'd never have thought I'd be where I am now with this girl. We had soo much in common. Over time she changed a lot and slowly became less and less of a match for me, personality or lifestyle wise. But it's hard to let go when things were so good in the beginning, and I think that's how relationships become draining for a lot of people. The relationship itself can be an energy vampire, even if the person doesn't mean to be.

I wish I could tell you some other plan to fix these sort of relationships when they turn negative, but in my experience nothing really works other than letting the person go. They will change and come back into your life if they're meant to. If not, just wish them well and carry on.

Indigo Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I agree with climbing. There's just one point I was really trying to make.. Make sure your your doing the right thing, before you write someone off.
    Ya,know??
    Maybe its not fixable, but you never know..Maybe it is. In the same position, I'd trust my gut. Talk to the person about the issues's your having with them. And go from there. I regret never having a conversation with my best friend, about why we don't talk anymore. Been over a year now. She was on a different path than me. Sometimes it is what it is. But I believe, it doesn't always have to be that way.

Indigo Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundSleeper View Post
    Maybe you dont understand..
    Theres a reason you have a friend like that in the first place.
    At some level, a person has to share a common bond with someone to even become friends in the first place.Or..thrive off the feeling of superiority that you get,by feeling better than your "friend".
    All mammalian relationship's in nature can be broken down into participating with a form of symbiosis.
    Who do you know of..outside of family, that would stick around..
    If something shameful happened to you???
    Would It be your competitive co-workers that would worry about their own reputation..???
    Or a friend that's having a rough time themselves??
    Some people are eternally selfish and will show their true face to you in due time..
    More than likely at the worse possible moment.
    Yes, your better off without the mean ones.
    But sometimes, your just steppin on the little guy, on the way to the top of your own pyramid.
    You're right, I don't understand your response to my comment. It's no secret that some people hold you back, that's 101.
    Last edited by TheStrengthOfWe; 03-03-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Indigo Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    my response was both for and against..
    How did you not understand that??
    Its usually a situational thing.
    And sometimes subjective opinion of what/ or who is negative in general may be clouding the truth of the matter.
    Last edited by SoundSleeper; 03-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Indigo Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundSleeper View Post
    my response was both for and against..
    How did you not understand that??
    Its usually a situational thing.
    And sometimes subjective opinion of what/ or who is negative in general may be clouding the truth of the matter.
    An extrovert I take it? The Devil's in the details you know. It's like you're putting words in my mouth and then arguing with your own assumptions. You've not said one thing that I disagree with, but my comment is a universal truth. "Maybe" implies either/or, I never said it was one way only. I've always said we're all just a bag of circumstances, but at the end of the day, if I feel like you have a negative impact on my life and I evaluate it as such - then it's in my best interest to cut those ties. Life's too short. If it can be worked out, then all the better (it'll probably end up being a better friendship through it all). Sometimes it takes making a step back so people can see what you've grown into or vice versa. Then, maybe things can start getting better.
    Last edited by TheStrengthOfWe; 03-03-2012 at 08:51 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TheStrengthOfWe For This Useful Post:

SoundSleeper (03-03-2012)

Indigo Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I can be an extrovert and and introvert.lol
    I go with my instincts alot.
    Im a Libra, my perspective is subjective to seeing almost everything as a two way street.
    I've been on both sides of this equation in real life.So I can't help but be sympathetic to both.

Indigo Newbie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I agree. Just keep your self goes on I think.

This ad goes away when you register.