Grew up in [the western] church or still churched?

Grew up in [the western] church or still churched? «  » by Lonni
Has anyone here grew up in church? (or still do attend church for some reason?) I am asking because I did grow up in church and I still do attend, but once I started getting in touch with God, He started showing me Himself and how the church was wrong...how there was so much MORE. I felt like God wanted me to continue going and having compassion on the people there (NOT judging), but I have noticed how a religious spirit (numbing of spiritual sensitivity) has taken over me the past few weeks/months without me noticing at all. I want to know if anyone else has experienced this before?! And maybe how you deal with it? I do not want to go to church if it will suffocate and kill my connection with God, yet to stop going to my church altogether is similar to disowning my whole entire family for me- my family's whole life revolves around it- it's what they live and breath...

Has anyone been through this?!
Lonni

I know. «  » by Indigo Tree
I know.

I have been and am going through this right now, and I don't really know what the answer is myself.

My dad was a preacher (a good man, very compassionate and sincere). The type of church is quite fundamentalist and very strict; we were not allowed to attend even other Christian churches. The extended family also attends church. My mom has emphysema, or she would still attend; my brother does not attend. For me, as well, to leave the church would be quite a far-reaching decision.

I have not left the church, but I am not currently attending; however, one of the reasons I have not been is that I have been quite seriously ill myself and don't go out alone much. While I am a believer in Jesus, I am not a believer in some of the people who also claim to believe in Him, who will not help the needy, who will judge people harshly without really knowing or caring about their circumstances, who will discourage people from joining their church if they think that they are the "wrong kind of people." (By the way, I am one of those "wrong" people. I am unemployed right now and own nothing of much material value, not even a car.) I am not saying that all churches are like that; the one to which I belong now is not like that (the one I attended before was). The church of which I am a member is very kind and sends us a letter weekly.

Before write any more, here is a disclaimer: I am not a psychologist or psychotherapist. I am not a licensed or ordained minister and I have no training in theology or ministry. All I can tell you is what has helped me.

My faith is in God. I treat my fellow human beings, whether they are street people or government officials, with as much respect as my soul can give, and help them as I can, in recognition that they are all in the image of God. I pray to God for forgiveness of wrongs and help with what I need, and do my best, knowing that I will have what I need, when I need it. I do some eastern-style meditation to center me, and some yoga-type stretches to relax my body. (A relaxed body helps to foster a relaxed mind.) But the bottom line is this: My faith is in God.
Indigo Tree

«  » by Lonni
Thanks for responding!
This is very encouraging to know there are others like me!
And yes you are not licensed as a psychologist or minister- no one gave you a ceritifcate- but never let that mean anything!! What is important is what you have learned from God himself, NOT what some school or degree gives you. To "minister" means to Love, and you can only do that if you have Love in you- the very essence and energy of God. You cannot learn that from a school of any sort...

Also, what are you ill in?

I have a question...has it ever been hard for you (or for anyone else reading this) to understand a wider world view of thinking (a lot of what is found on IS), when you compare what you've learned in the past, in church, to be true?!
Lonni

«  » by Indigo Tree
Absolutely! It is hard to get used to discussing things that I have always been told are Satanic. It seems as if some of the religious world is ok with people believing in things that they can't see, as long as they agree with those things.

However, I always try to be careful...watch for signs that there may be more to some things and people than meets the eye. I am very wary of people and organizations that encourage me or try to force me to limit my associations with the rest of the world, and those that tell me that I can get from them things that I can get no where else in the world, or organizations in which one or a few people seem to be "special." Also, those people or organizations that want you to give them more than you really want or can afford to give them...this is a very bad sign. I am very wary of people who want me to be dependent on them (I have learned that by experience; however much they say they want to "take care of you," it is usually a VERY bad sign).

That's the sermon for today. :o

As for my illness, thanks for asking...I have had quite severe arthritis in my neck since my mid-thirties; by the grace of God and my doing all I can to help it I am not having very many symptoms now.
Indigo Tree

«  » by Clear Blue Sky
In what way would you say the church is wrong (I mean your church that you and your family attend and the people in it and the preacher who stands at your pulpit) that God has shown you otherwise?
Clear Blue Sky

«  » by Indigo Tree
For one thing, our church seems to be oriented towards patriotism and the military. I am not saying those things are necessarily bad, but I do believe that the church should transcend these things.
Indigo Tree

«  » by Lonni
Indigo Tree wrote:
However, I always try to be careful...watch for signs that there may be more to some things and people than meets the eye. I am very wary of people and organizations that encourage me or try to force me to limit my associations with the rest of the world, and those that tell me that I can get from them things that I can get no where else in the world, or organizations in which one or a few people seem to be "special." Also, those people or organizations that want you to give them more than you really want or can afford to give them...this is a very bad sign. I am very wary of people who want me to be dependent on them (I have learned that by experience; however much they say they want to "take care of you," it is usually a VERY bad sign).

Thanks for this! This is a very good warning...we must always follow our inner spirit!!
Lonni

«  » by Lonni
Indigo Tree wrote: I am not saying those things are necessarily bad, but I do believe that the church should transcend these things.

YES YES YES!!! I fully agree and LOVE how you worded that. There are SOOOOOOOOO many things that I see people concerning themselves with. It's not that they are incorrect or bad, but we must TRANSCEND those trivial things and go into the things that matter and bring Life. Thanks thanks thanks!! I agree with this!!!
Lonni

«  » by Clear Blue Sky
I hear what you two are saying. I was asking more of Lonni though when God started showing Himself to Lonni and how Lonni felt the church had it wrong.
Clear Blue Sky