Thread: sweet potatoes & econo-politicalcentrism...practicly racism...

Banned
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialSocialSocial1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

sweet potatoes & econo-politicalcentrism...practicly racism...

Im an old man, so Im not in school for a while now, so I dunno, maybe they arent still teaching that cristopher columbus discovered the americas, but assuming they are still teaching that...wtf?There is something weird about "history" and the perspective its taught from. Kind of like the beast in the book of daniel, history is described as this evolution of what we, (Americans,) are politicaly and economicly. We are givven this descreptive account over time, as to how civilizations evolved and influenced the develpment of the next one and basicly how it became us, the US. How man became civilized and civilization became america and everything else is an abberation. That is what was called world history in the US. So when they get to the part about christopher columbus, he convinces the greediest egomaniac in the furthest edge of the "world" to fund an expidition is really the part of world history that greed and exploitation was introduced to the "americas".First of all sweet potatoes are a different species of plant than yams. Sweet potatoes are american not african and it is a fact that they originated in the americas and have been cultivated since BC, yet sweet potatoes have als bee cultivated in polynesea for just over 1000 years. It has been pretty much proven through matching DNA that the polynesean sweet potatoes originated in south america. It is believed that polyneseans who are known for exploration of the open ocean "discovered" the americas, and found them to be occupied and thus left, but brought the potatoe back with them.That is the history of the world according to the sweetpotatoe.Which do you believe?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hekuni For This Useful Post:

SophiA AntipoliS (04-13-2012)

Forum Caretaker
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 1,880 Posts
    I believe the Americas were discovered by the Ainu of Japan.

Banned
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Achievements:
    VeteranVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryCreated Blog entry

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I believe that i like sweet potatoes more than regular ones. So go SWEETS! sorry i can't answer your question though...

Global Forum Caretaker
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,044 Times in 3,890 Posts
    many many cultures sailed all over the world long before columbus. europeans were way late in doing so in fact, and had to learn how from the chinese. but they did take guns with them when they finally set forth and thus were so 'successful'. just part of the grand falsehood that has been foisted on the world. i call it the Great European Lie and is has many facets but all meant to enforce the notion that there is something superior in europeans (by which i include americans of european roots) and their culture.
    !soil first! every garden is an experiment no experiment is a failure
    ------------------------------------** Hidden Content eat lots of salad! Hidden Content **-----------------------------------

Old Soul
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,313 Posts
    i defintely believe the world according to the sweet potato is much more accurate, over the world according to the his story books =)

It is believed that polyneseans who are known for exploration of the open ocean "discovered" the americas, and found them to be occupied and thus left, but brought the potatoe back with them.That is the history of the world according to the sweetpotatoe.Which do you believe?
    yes i think this is true. they had star charts and navigated in smaller boats around the world. i also think the people in the azores (i am related to those people) and the other islands on the east side of us also came and went.....they also had boats and star charts and maps of the world long before the dominator eurocentric culture took over everything with their colonialism, and pretended they were the only voices that mattered. the portugese as well...had extensive knowledge of the world through sailing around the world, as did the asian people...long before any of that whole english/european culture take over .....with the eurocentric mindset becoming by force the dominant paradigms...with its his story twisted to make things seem a certain way....the english/european culture...actually got a lot of their info and boats from portugal, which i think was a bit removed and kinda on a different wavelegnth before basically getting looped into all that weirdness....
    ~many hands make the work light~

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialYour first GroupYour first GroupVeteran
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Finding this thread so late at night here is hilarious, because I just recently finished a session of talking to my Solomon Island Eclectus parrot -- "Is this a sweet potato, or a yam?" He loved the things now I see if the sweet potato has a way of getting around maybe they are like sort of native food for him. Hmmm.... parrots in Australia island area do they relate more to African parrots or South American parrots?

Thanks for illuminating that perception issue. It was strange to me here in Illinois they go on about Louis and Clark "discovering" and exploring America.... 'and here was the cute lil injun gal who showed them around and made all the connections with the peoples tribes and languages they encountered, knew what path to take, etc....' LOL if only it were truly funny but pathetic in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekuni View Post
    Im an old man, so Im not in school for a while now, so I dunno, maybe they arent still teaching that cristopher columbus discovered the americas, but assuming they are still teaching that...wtf?There is something weird about "history" and the perspective its taught from. Kind of like the beast in the book of daniel, history is described as this evolution of what we, (Americans,) are politicaly and economicly. We are givven this descreptive account over time, as to how civilizations evolved and influenced the develpment of the next one and basicly how it became us, the US. How man became civilized and civilization became america and everything else is an abberation. That is what was called world history in the US. So when they get to the part about christopher columbus, he convinces the greediest egomaniac in the furthest edge of the "world" to fund an expidition is really the part of world history that greed and exploitation was introduced to the "americas".First of all sweet potatoes are a different species of plant than yams. Sweet potatoes are american not african and it is a fact that they originated in the americas and have been cultivated since BC, yet sweet potatoes have als bee cultivated in polynesea for just over 1000 years. It has been pretty much proven through matching DNA that the polynesean sweet potatoes originated in south america. It is believed that polyneseans who are known for exploration of the open ocean "discovered" the americas, and found them to be occupied and thus left, but brought the potatoe back with them.That is the history of the world according to the sweetpotatoe.Which do you believe?
    Dum Spiro Spero Meliora
    .... but why hope for better when you can settle for best! Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clear Blue Sky For This Useful Post:

Indigo Dog (04-14-2012)

Old Soul
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    plus the maori, the have a major thing with sweet potatoes as well....they basically consider it to be their cousin...is the best way i can think to say it. actually better than that...for the basic reasons you are saying, such a big food staple to them- it is honored.

or well at least this is what i have read...the alternative his story =)
    that ones a lot better and closer to the truth =)

so thats new zealand area...probably also connected to the polynesians and even the native americans, and native south americans.....

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekuni View Post
    Why are they still teaching that Christopher Columbus discovered America??
    i take this rather personally...Percussa Ressurgo !

English Settlement in the New World

After Christopher Columbus' historic voyage in 1492, Spain dominated the race to establish colonies in the Americas, while English efforts, such as the "lost colony" of Roanoke (1587), met with failure. In 1606, King James I granted a charter to a new venture, the Virginia Company, to form a settlement in North America. At the time, Virginia was the English name for the entire eastern coast of North America north of Florida; they had named it for Elizabeth I, the "virgin queen." The Virginia Company planned to search for gold and silver deposits in the New World, as well as a river route to the Pacific Ocean that would allow them to establish trade with the Orient.

Roughly 100 colonists left England in late December 1606 on three ships (the Susan Constant, the Godspeed and the Discovery) and reached Chesapeake Bay late the next April. After forming a governing council—including Christopher Newport, commander of the sea voyage, and John Smith, a former mercenary who had been accused of insubordination aboard ship by several other company members—the group searched for a suitable settlement site. On May 14, 1607, they landed on a narrow peninsula–virtually an island–in the James River, where they would begin their lives in the New World.
    May your Wishes Grow More Few & Far Between ~
    Love Light & Laughter !
    <3<3<3

Old Soul
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    this got me a bit curious so i looked it up.
    wish i could grow sweet potatoes here, such an excellent easy to grow food plant. i keep trying but i havent gotten any to take off

yeah as i understand it (of course i wasnt there but this is something thats talked about), from the POV of the azorean and portugese people....is that both knew of and had visited this continent. just friendly visits, you know, they would sail all around and trade with people...... and it was from the portugese actually that the english/spanish/european dominator culture got their knowledge of the americas.

actually the way it is said, the portugese regretted telling the english and others after they found out what that meant. they didnt realize that by giving the information it would mean the takeover of this land.... idk if this is totally true...but i have heard this said several times....in some way they felt partly responsible, because they had come here and had some vague maps and shared information with the ones who came to colonize...without realizing exactly what they were helping.

here some info on kumara = sweet potato

The kumara is of American origin. A wild species of Ipomoea found in Mexico, on cytogenetic investigation, has proved to be more closely related to the kumara than any other species so far studied. Further, the range of variation displayed by a South American collection of varieties exceeds that found within a collection representative of Polynesian and Melanesian islands and South-East Asia.

Again, the distribution in the Pacific is not the product of a single introduction and subsequent diffusion. Independent studies, one on the variation of vernacular names applied to the plant in the western Pacific, the other on plant variation already referred to, indicate that a likely explanation for distribution is a three-stream introduction from America; the first, in prehistoric times to Polynesia, followed by two early historic introductions by the Portuguese to the East Indies, diffusing to Melanesia, and by the Spanish from their American colonies to the Philippines, from whence the plant reached mainland Asia.

The possibility that the Portuguese introduction was made by a circuitous route from the Caribbean through Africa and the Indian Ocean cannot be dismissed. The carriers of the earliest Pacific kumara, the Polynesian, remain unidentified, but the question must resolve itself into two alternatives voyages by Polynesians to the western shores of South America, or prehistoric visits of American peoples to Polynesia.

================================================== =================================================
    Whakatauki are used by the Maori to teach important values and attitudes.

This ad goes away when you register.

One main saying is 'Kaore te Kumara e Korero ana mo tona reka'. This translates as:
    The kumara does not talk of its own sweetness.
    Last edited by leila; 04-14-2012 at 05:21 PM.