Humbled by Gaia
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialRecommendation Second ClassRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Geraniums As House Plants

With highly unique, fragrant, broad leaves which grow from the main stalk, they are one of many forms in the genus, providing continuous seasonal flowers that are from bright neon orange to pale plum. They are sold in swathes of varieties and colors at local nurseries and greenhouses and are a true favorite among gardeners. What many geranium lovers neglect to do each summer is bring their friends in for the winter. They often die back in the fall and beginnings of the harsh frost that is soon to defeat them.

As house plants, geraniums clean the air like any other plant, but these are much more special, for they enrich the atmosphere with not just clean air, but also remove unwanted and harmful emotional residue as the year progresses and revitalizes Chi/Qi or lifeforce levels. Unlike most plants, I trust geranium each year to effectively reproduce happiness in untold quantities throughout the home or room they are placed in. Even after the summer, all winter long they still continue to stunningly greet us with their endless flowers. They've been in my home for a few years now, and honestly, I accredit them for the consumption of stress levels in my home.

And the best trait of all about these magnificent creatures is that pets will completely leave them alone! You cna place them on window sills, tables with sunroofs above, patios, decks, bathrooms, anywhere you please. The leaves are too stinky for cats to bother with chewing on them. Considering that I have 3 cats and love plants to pieces, geraniums make it all better for me. I can leave a bouqet of geraniums flower stalks on the table without the cats messing with them; score!

They're also great for other purposes, such as in medicine or sanitation, as their leaves, oils, and petals are anti-fungal, anti-viral, antibiotic, anti-microbial, and pretty much anti-everything, even anti-mosquitoes. If you were wondering, Citronella is a form of geranium. Geranium oil is highly great for tired or saggy skin, great for scars and other blemishes, acne treatment, an astringent for wrinkled skin, disinfecting cuts/scrapes, great for bruises and muscle-related spasms, calming effect when leaves are made as tea (though don't ever consume essential oils, too strong for itnernal use) treating eczema and dermatitis, may fully treat ringworm or lice, hormone balancing in non-pregnant women, deals with liver function and pancreas functionality, and so much more-- including metaphysical properties of fertility, happiness, abundance, grace, charm, amorousness, attraction, and much more.

I would imagine that the oil when mixed with lavender and coconut oil as a base, it'd make for a superb relaxation massage oil after al ong day's of physical and/or mental exhaustion.

For me , because I have a deep respect and fascination for art, if kept a while, they intricately form into what seems like miniature trees, which to me are majestic living sculptures. These plants truly are one of a kind. Most who claim to be avid for this popular pick among greenhouse shoppers often erroneously see them as the very same annuals that they adorn their yards with. This is full of error indeed, because they're much more than just annuals. If you love them and take them in, they do much more than make the neighbors envious. It's sad that a lot of people will see them as mere flowers and let them coldly pass away, but honestly, I see them as much more.

A lot of TLC really goes into my geraniums. Every plant, for me, is chosen by feeling. I get a sixth sense about each one, and ask them to be my friend, and ask them if they'd love to come home with me. They often say yes or no, and it may seem odd to you at first, but you have to understand that everything has an etheric pulse, all things have Qi or lifeforce, all things have emotions, we just don't receive the impulses which tell us when a plant feels a specific way.

When they come home with me, I take care of them, water them when they need a drink, which isn't always often, but they're there for my home, and I feel happy knowing they're there, plus, they're beautiful and produce colorful, vibrant flowers all year long. If that's not cool, I don't know what is. If you're really talented, you can constrict the roots of a mature plant and shape them like Bonsai trees, as they do grow towards the light like any other plant. Bamboo are also shaped. I haven't experimented with geranium shaping yet, but one day I just might.

Geraniums don't require much water, though it's great for optimum health and happiness, and they're pretty low maintenance. They do their own thing and occasionally drop their petals everywhere, but I actually collect them and dry them out and save them as dry materials for potpourri and other things. The flowers can also be crushed and made into an ink or watercolor.

I know I've been yacking away, but honestly, I just wanted everyone to know how great they are and how beneficial they are metaphysically. And this goes with every plant. Cacti for protection and warding away negative energy and "impaling it" with their barbs, succulents like aloe vera for the same protective energies but also for healing, vines for growth and understanding-- the ideas are endless. Consult a magical herb book if you're interested. Other than that, I'd just like to conclude that geraniums, regardless of metaphysics, are great house plants, do clean the air, and are unique and are always a center of topic to those who see them inside, as they're unique, different, and just plain cool.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Unbreakable For This Useful Post:

evergreen (04-22-2012), ForgottenSeeker (04-22-2012), Indigo Dog (04-22-2012), JamieDiana (04-22-2012), sshenry (04-22-2012)

Old Soul
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,590 Times in 2,797 Posts
    It is so weird - I can grow geraniums outside - I can use the oil in things -but if I have them inside, either live or dried I start sneezing my head off.

They are incredibly useful though

“What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if,when you awoke,you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then?”
    ― Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Old Soul
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 800 Posts
    My geranium has not flowered all winter. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Humbled by Gaia
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sshenry View Post
    It is so weird - I can grow geraniums outside - I can use the oil in things -but if I have them inside, either live or dried I start sneezing my head off.

They are incredibly useful though
    Oh no. Perhaps it's in combination with something else? Idk. I've never thought about allergies, but they don't seem to bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    My geranium has not flowered all winter. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
    Really? :-/ That's poopy. They don't like where they're at then, not getting enough light, water, I have one plant that just keeps growing tall. Sometimes you just have to cut it off at a decent length if it's getting too tall and pointless, and it'll focus on more growth from the bottom and other stalks.

i haven't yet learned how to propagate them, I was possibly going to try this year sometimes soon.

Old Soul
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I moved it to a south window. Hopefully it does better there. Soon it can go outside.

Forum Caretaker
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 1,880 Posts
    To get my geraniums to flower I make them a super tea.

1 pitcher of water.
    1 teaspoon of molasses
    1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon of fish emulsion

stir and serve to your plants. BOOM!! Flower explosion.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Indigo Dog For This Useful Post:

evergreen (04-22-2012), lillies1978 (04-22-2012), Michael Unbreakable (04-22-2012)

Humbled by Gaia
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I'll have to try that recipe, Indigo Dog. I fertilize all of my plants often with tea or coffee. They like that.

Old Soul
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 608
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 764 Posts
    Geraniums remind me of my childhood, my mom had them all around the house (outside though) ... the smell of their leaves makes me feel at home. I really know nothing else about them ...
    ~ A Clockwork Indigo ~

Old Soul
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    My mom just told me today that geraniums bloom when their roots are bound. I wonder if mine didn't bloom in the winter due to me changing them to larger pots at the end of the summer.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to evergreen For This Useful Post:

Michael Unbreakable (04-23-2012)

Humbled by Gaia
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    My mom just told me today that geraniums bloom when their roots are bound. I wonder if mine didn't bloom in the winter due to me changing them to larger pots at the end of the summer.
    I recently bought a huge hanging basket with about three or four adult geranium plants in it. I cut off the good bulk of the root system and surrounding soil and packed the ball into a pot half its size. It is seen in the center of the second photo, which is the only photo that is mine, the rest came from google. But yeah, I do believe your mom is right. I recently repotted my oldest geranium of 2 years. I pulled it from it's small clay pot, cut half the roots off, transplanted it into a slightly bigger pot, and gave it a good drink of water. It was so happy to finally move into to a bigger home, it almost instantly began blooming a week or so later.

Another of my favorites houseplant wise is mint. Ohgawd. I love mint plants. All of them. Peppermint, chocolate mint, pineapple mint, apple mint, spearmint, orange mint... I put them in hanging baskets in the windows every spring/summer/fall. They grow to these huge lengths vine-wise, and I make teas all season long, and dry the rest for Winter. ♥

Old Soul
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That's interesting Michael. Mine is a huge huge bush looking plant now! I am thinking of cutting some of the branches and starting new plants with them.

This ad goes away when you register.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to evergreen For This Useful Post:

Michael Unbreakable (05-25-2012)

Humbled by Gaia
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    About a month ago, I had stuffed three geraniums into one pot, and they started strangling each other, so I had to pull back some of the leaves and puncture several long holes all over the soil at different angles to break up the congestion. They are doing much better now.

Indigo Rookie
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    I have a lot of Geraniums. They multiply so easily and the colors are beautiful....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Firefly Dancer For This Useful Post:

Michael Unbreakable (08-30-2012)