Win Ten Bucks?

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.
Win Ten Bucks? «  » by Dabbs
I was going to offer ten dollars to the person here that could find creative ways to get their points across in their posts to those they have difficulty communicating with.

It stemmed from my conversation in another thread with Neo.

The lucky person would have to agree to make an effort to use only socially acceptable responses to those they are usually arguing with, disagreeing with, etc.... And whoever commented in the most socially acceptable way for the given amount of time, lets say a week.... would get the ten bucks.

But, the problem is, it wouldn't be fair to those that already do this. They should be commended for keeping their language at least PG13.

Another person pointed out to me that some would see it as me being manipulative, which I can be and I've admitted it many, many times....

I would still like to offer this, but, because of what I stated above, I don't think I can.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I personally would like to see those who choose words that hurt, words that condemn, words that are not suitable for a child to read, use creative, socially acceptable language when replying to those who set them off.

Granted, I understand that sometimes a good cuss word is exactly what's needed and what you're feeling, but for once, I would get a kick out of seeing if we can make the threads less threatening, less filled with the angry words.....

Let me know what you think.... about any of it.... in a socially acceptable manner, please? LOL!:D:D
Dabbs

«  » by sshenry
Heh - guess being socially acceptable isn't on many people's priority lists :p
sshenry

«  » by Indigo Dog
I thought about this post all morning. Nobody likes to think that they are unacceptable or wrong. Trying to find ways to make someone behave that makes you uncomfortable is kind of like a guy saying he loves his girlfriend and that is why he beats her.

You cant force someone to do or behave in a way they don't want to. You might be able to do it through sheer force of will for a little while, but sooner or later they are going to push back.

Someone who wants to stir the pot, be obnoxious, get in your face and piss you off wants to do it. The whole point is to show up looking for a fight. You cant make them unwant that, if that is where they are at.

So you need to ask yourself... Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy?

Untill you want to be happy more than you want to be right you will never have the motivation to walk away.
Indigo Dog

«  » by Odin
I must be thick, or Dabbs just intercepted ablonde moment into me.
That says ten buck, but I can't understand what you meant by winning it.
You could just give me the ten bucks, we both know it will cost more getting it here probably with the way this *beeep*ng world works.

Secondly, if I had children, I would not allow them onto the internet until they were 18. Internet is not for children at all, even the parental guidance feature don't work on the browsers, because of how adverts bombard you. brb. This comment was sponsored by
Odin

«  » by sshenry
I think the terms "socially acceptable" are what turn people off - automatically. For some reason we get it into our heads that refusing socially acceptable "norms" is tatamount to being "real." That as soon as we start being polite or reasonable - especially if we don't FEEL like being polite (or reasonable) that we have "given in" to societal expectations etc., that we have stopped being authentic.

But why then is being "authentic" so often go hand in hand with being an a$$hole? Is that really what the person is - or are they letting their emotions - their reactions to another person's behaior (including the impolite and unreasonable) get to them?

I think an important question would be, why is it that people don't feel the desire to be polite or reasonable in the first place? Is it repressed anger at others' actions/words/implied motives? Why do we assume that someone else's impolitic behaivor is aimed at us, and therefor that in order to defend our honor that we HAVE to respond to it; defend ourselves; justify our actions etc? Why do we let someone else's actions determine our own feelings/emotions?
sshenry

«  » by Dabbs
Now we're getting ino this! where I thought it would be fun to see people bending over their own tongues trying to say bad things but in a nice way, it's being seen as another thing to everyone else! i was only looking at it from a satirical view but, some see it as I don't think the way they communicate is acceptable.Or that it may be seen from others as an insult.What if I upped the ante? Offered a hundred? Would willingness to participate be better?
Dabbs

«  » by FPConEcho
How much crack can I buy with one hundred bucks?

FPConEcho

«  » by FPConEcho
I think it is a good idea in the capacity that it will reveal who the fakes are. You can then ban them.
FPConEcho

Return to index page Indigo Cafe