Hybrid View

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Politics, the indigo way

Have I spoke about this yet?

This ad goes away when you register.

So 3 years ago I had an idea. An idea that could change the world. I had it in the shower.

It's a deceptively simple idea.

What if someone ran for office on the promise that when elected they would create a website. And that website would allow the constituents to vote on every single bill the elected representative would vote on. Then, if they won, that person promises to vote according to the participating majority.

If they got elected, how long would it take before other politicians emulated that idea. How long before you couldn't be elected without this promise? What would the world become then?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yea, I plan on running for the U.S. House of Representatives in 2014. I've created an indiegogo campaign to try to raise some initial start-up funds. http://www.indiegogo.com/InternetDemocracy?a=939717

What do you guys think?

Also, I could sorely use your help. If anyone knows anything about mass marketing, viral media, web design, graphic design, or really anything that might be useful for this campaign, give me a pm. Or if you want to run too, pm me. I believe this could actually work.
    If you like something I write, please, hit that thank button or the helpful thingy. It brings me a small measure of joy.
    I know I haven't been around in a while. Life calls. You can read about it Hidden Content if you feel so inclined ^.^

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sontlux For This Useful Post:

gatito (07-20-2013)

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialSocialSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    ur n illumnati. run errybuddy. he wuntz 2 b n govt
    I am online 24/7, so if you need anything. Just send a PM or comment on my profile. and even if not. My secretary will be of assistance, she will help you with anything you need. I designed her to act exactly as I would. She also hold the same amount of knowledge I do. (not much) So when I learn something new, I can update her knowledge telepathically.

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i think this is actually a great idea.. mainly because its sounds so simple.. and if it doesnt work the first time we'll just keep trying till we do..
    why not?

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album picturesTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Sharing resources, it would actually be rather cheap to run. Get a shared host for a website showcasing the idea that anyone running can share, which would have resources to use in your own campaign. And fliers are cheap as fuck. 100k for 4k denero.
    If you like something I write, please, hit that thank button or the helpful thingy. It brings me a small measure of joy.
    I know I haven't been around in a while. Life calls. You can read about it Hidden Content if you feel so inclined ^.^

Indigo Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredCreated Blog entry1000 Experience Points
    Corpus Christi; but mostly in my mind or in the Otherworld
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This sound GREAT! I have a few Ideas on reforming Government, but cannot run for office yet..

Indigo Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Achievements:
    Social3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    I'm just going to let you know right now that the website would be hacked, spammed, destroyed, and used for the troll agenda of any hacker on the planet.

Indigo Newbie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    changing of this world has to happen in every human being. people who are aware of stuff don't need any education of living in peace, and they will live that way. so all we need to do to change the world is to educate people about who they are (or better who they're not), but that means every cop, every politician, every sportsman, every drug addict, every religious man have to be aware of themselves in non -ego way to accomplish a peaceful society. so, what are we waiting for?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crystal wonderer For This Useful Post:

Light. (11-12-2012)

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    What would be your plan if there was a very discernible human rights issue that people voted against? I love the concept, but after having my equal rights voted on last week, still shell shocked even though it won, the absurdity of it all is still getting to me a bit.

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Itz true you have a great idea...

I believe what many people are trying to say here iz that they know that no matter what great idealz people come up with .... they will not let them work because then they would have to hold to their word.

The system right now haz so many changez and alterationz that no one haz to stand on their word.... they dont even have to try....

I have a veteranz counselor that workz in the government and all he has to do and haz done is throw my paper work in the trash and tell me that he never received it. Now I have to go back and fill it out and he can do that over and over and no one will say a word.

See thatz the problem ... You Cant Make Any Person Actually Do What They Should .... But We Are All Affected By Their Actionz ....

And the sad part iz that people with motivation for money loose their moralz quickly ...

Indigo Member
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredTagger Second ClassOverdrive1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I think the founders would have had a similar idea, if they had the internet.

The only reason we send representatives to DC is because it was impractical to poll the public.

But, times have changed and maybe the time is right for this.

I also believe that we would solve a lot of our problems if we required all lobbying to be done in public.

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialYour first GroupYour first GroupVeteran
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Why link it only to single politician? Why not start an INDEPENDENT forum for votable bills, complete with blogs for pro-con and discussion forums. Then any savvy politician would visit the forum or at least the media would get the voice of the forum out there somehow.
    Dum Spiro Spero Meliora
    .... but why hope for better when you can settle for best! Hidden Content

Indigo Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registered1 year registeredCreated Blog entryCreated Blog entry
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Direct democracy is an old concept and has been used in the past. While I do see your ideas merits I don't believe that any governmental systems will ever work. As a general rule I just ignore politics entirely as I see the whole thing as an exercise in futility.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Christine Hauck For This Useful Post:

Light. (11-29-2012)

Indigo Newbie
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    3 months registered3 months registered500 Experience Points500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Instead of using the modern term of "Politics", countries should be run by people who are in constant communication with the rest of the country for the sake of the country, rather than for the sake of their reputation to get re-elected.

Indigo Enthusiast
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialSocialSocialSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    The problem with having people vote is that most of the time sheeple don't understand what it is they are voting about, while I like the sentiment of allowing the people a voice how do you educate the people that are voting on the subjects they are voting about.

Can you imagine the cost of passing any vote and checking who was voting. It would be impossible to work.
    Your only purpose is to Know

Indigo Enthusiast
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    maybe they should do away with the representative senator etc who votes for the people, and in turn is 'voted in' and just have a leaderboard of issues and bills and let people vote themselves on that directly. we have the technology to help do that now.
    Dum Spiro Spero Meliora

Indigo Newbie
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Achievements:
    3 months registered3 months registered250 Experience Points250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    i really like this idea!!!

i agree with clear blue sky that it's even better just to do away with the representative system.

voting as isolated individuals in a referendum is a step in the right direction, but still not enough. we need to be exposed to the views of others so we can learn about and empathize with other perspectives. there would have to be discussion forums, and communication delegates passing on the views of other geographical areas, writing summary reports so we can further learn about other people's views, and engagement with independent media.

for-profit media would have to be abolished and replaced with non-profit media which was open and accessible to all communities to have a voice in. otherwise the profit-interests controlling media could manipulate our opinions.

i agree there is a concern about the masses making poor decisions regarding human rights and other things. but the risk also exists for politicians to make poor decisions about these same things. so our human rights are not safe either way. i believe they would be relatively safer in the hands of ordinary people than of elite politicians corrupted by legal bribes. also, democracy is a human right in itself, and the current political system denies us that human right. (electing others to rule over us makes a mockery of the word democracy.)

hacking the website would be a concern, but this can be mitigated through telephone polling (which is done already for elections and for all sorts of market research nonsense). if the results of a web vote were significantly different from the polls, we'd know that there had probably been a hack and could redo it. if it turned out hacking was too much of a problem, we could switch to ballot voting. it would be a big labor investment, but real democracy is more than worth it. and think of all the billions that is wasted on funding election campaigns and media ads. it would only be a matter of transferring resources from a wasteful use to something that will empower us all.

Indigo Enthusiast
    Achievements:
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The voting mechanism is already there to some degree. And the system to nominate people and to get ideas/changes on the referendum. Trouble is most are poorly educated and do not have a clue how to make use of it. A lot could be accomplsihed by educating people on what's out there already, or providing a good nonbiased forum for them, reporting and so forth. Ultimately in America our 2-party system is outmoded and not helpful, leaving us with only a choice of evils. The new 'tea party' is emerging and there may be change a foot, but folks need to participate in that change, and yes I think we need to re-evaluate representative government in our new era of increased technology and communication. Rigbth now that bridge is sort of bridged by 'opinion polls' to the rep voters. A system by which options are presented to the people and increasing opportuntiies for feedback would go a long way. Sort of like a Political-Boards. Your congressperson/senator each are given a page and they can fill it or leave it blank, but give them room to provide info on bills/positions and aplace for public to resopnd. out in the open for all to see.
    Dum Spiro Spero Meliora