Lets talk EGO

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.
Lets talk EGO «  » by ZIGMAN
Ok, been hearing alot of Ego DEATH and KILLING ego. While I get the feeling I will have to let mine go in the future, I could be wrong of course. But I just posted this on another thread but I think it deserves its own thread so this is what I said "Im not sure if Ego ever truly dies, but i think Ego changes and integrates into your higher self and is no longer in total control. Heal your Ego, and respect it. That shell protected you for many years, at least that is my experience, ya'lls mileage may vary." This is what is appealing to my common sense IN THIS MOMENT, but things change in the blink of an eye. But in my experience, fear and Ego, helped me get through one of the worst times of my life, being 5th-7th grade to about a year ago progressively increasing in those years naturally. But the point is, people talk about fear and Ego in here like it is some HUGE negative thing that we need to vanquish and live in a huge ball of light. Fear is there for a reason, so is Ego. Respect them, show them just as much love as you show light and meditating under your favorite tree of whatever. And tell suffering is an illusion of the blind and those who control their reality have none to those in fear and suffering, thats adorable to them :) While that might be true for me/you as well in the future. Im not so sure, all yin yang baby. Yin Yang, love it all, all is love.
ZIGMAN

«  » by Lili Ray
I think fear is important because if you're never afraid you can never be brave. How you handle fear though is a different story, it should rule your life. It's also a good indication of things you need to work on, for example if youre fearful to give your heart to another person then maybe you should work on your trust issues, or it can also mean that you shouldn't be placing your trust in someone.

Ego...what is ego? Know that sounds stupid but the word is thrown around a lot so can we clarify what it means first? :o

xxx
Lili Ray

«  » by ANewKindOfNeo
you are either a master or a slave to it...
ANewKindOfNeo

«  » by Clear Blue Sky
Years ago in the Days of God the word I was given was the phrase "respect and good will." If you have respect and good will for somebody -- any individual -- you will not punch and bruise their ego or stomp it into the dust or attempt to rip their ego from their being. It is called being respectful.

I actually do not believe ego exists as a concrete real discrete 'thing'. I think it is tied to the individuation of people and the sense of "who". Without ego we would have our boys happily marching off to machine gun warefare for the good and advancement of the state. without reflective ego into others we would not care for the poor, oppressed and suffering. without a sense of ego being wronged there would be no oppression or suffering. But Ego-less isn't who we humans are.

I mean, if you had no ego, then the thick boots would come and slaugter your children and steal your belongings, kick you out of your home and you would not really care because you would not feel wronged because you woudl have no ego to feel offended by these actions.
Clear Blue Sky

«  » by ZIGMAN
Clear Blue Sky wrote:Years ago in the Days of God the word I was given was the phrase "respect and good will." If you have respect and good will for somebody -- any individual -- you will not punch and bruise their ego or stomp it into the dust or attempt to rip their ego from their being. It is called being respectful.

I actually do not believe ego exists as a concrete real discrete 'thing'. I think it is tied to the individuation of people and the sense of "who". Without ego we would have our boys happily marching off to machine gun warefare for the good and advancement of the state. without reflective ego into others we would not care for the poor, oppressed and suffering. without a sense of ego being wronged there would be no oppression or suffering. But Ego-less isn't who we humans are.

I mean, if you had no ego, then the thick boots would come and slaugter your children and steal your belongings, kick you out of your home and you would not really care because you would not feel wronged because you woudl have no ego to feel offended by these actions.

I like that :)
ZIGMAN

«  » by ZIGMAN
Lili Ray wrote:I think fear is important because if you're never afraid you can never be brave. How you handle fear though is a different story, it should rule your life. It's also a good indication of things you need to work on, for example if youre fearful to give your heart to another person then maybe you should work on your trust issues, or it can also mean that you shouldn't be placing your trust in someone.

Ego...what is ego? Know that sounds stupid but the word is thrown around a lot so can we clarify what it means first? :o

xxx

Well to me it is the me who is identified with what I see in the mirror, it is who wants to punch someone in the face who wronged my friend in front of me. It is who gets offended when someone says "LOSER!" In my direction. It is who looks to my things for happiness, the doer. The part of me that always wants more, more money, more guns, more whatever! That is what Ego is to me personally :)
ZIGMAN

«  » by overflow88
The ego is your sense of individuality, your personal human identify that most people think of as "myself". It is not a "thing" that actually exists, but an illusion based on the focus of the physical senses. I agree that if your goal is higher consciousness, you don't need to "kill" your ego or lose your identity, but there needs to be a blending of the ego and the "higher self," which I understand to be the whole of existence.
overflow88

«  » by Lili Ray
Then why is ego seen as a bad thing? :) sounds pretty good to me hehehe
Lili Ray

«  » by Clear Blue Sky
well, in the Freudian system, process is Ego ---> SuperEgo.

When the ego is forming in the child, that child is very dependent on others. The best way for an infant to meet its nontalking needs is to fuss and cry until it annoys someone enough to get their attention to figure out what it wants so that it will shut up. when it toddles it learns it needs to bug the parents to get what it needs. Then there is the painful process of independence, wrestling with the balance of freedom/power independence, doing what *I* want, who am *I*, and so forth. If the ego matures to the SuperEgo it learns also to be responsible, to maturely express its needs and be sufficient enough to get its needs met while considering the needs of others. But..... often something goes wrong in the process. I have Managers at work who still bawl and cry like babies and scream and shout to intimidate and bully others. All the bad behaviors that stem from simultaneous craving for power over others, coupled with a sense of insecurity. Often "Ego" is identified as the problem when that situation arises. Thats like saying the horse is the problem at a rodeo. The real situation is that the ego has been subjected to a philosophy of snaffle bits and spurs.
Clear Blue Sky

«  » by overflow88
Lili Ray wrote:Then why is ego seen as a bad thing? :) sounds pretty good to me hehehe

Well, often times people over-identify with the ego which can lead to many problems. One would be a sense of isolation, another is defining yourself by the labels society puts on you, or even extreme selfishness and disregard for others. So its not about ego vs. higher self, its about balance.
overflow88

«  » by Epoch
ZIGMAN wrote:Ok, been hearing alot of Ego DEATH and KILLING ego. While I get the feeling I will have to let mine go in the future, I could be wrong of course. But I just posted this on another thread but I think it deserves its own thread so this is what I said "Im not sure if Ego ever truly dies, but i think Ego changes and integrates into your higher self and is no longer in total control. Heal your Ego, and respect it. That shell protected you for many years, at least that is my experience, ya'lls mileage may vary." This is what is appealing to my common sense IN THIS MOMENT, but things change in the blink of an eye. But in my experience, fear and Ego, helped me get through one of the worst times of my life, being 5th-7th grade to about a year ago progressively increasing in those years naturally. But the point is, people talk about fear and Ego in here like it is some HUGE negative thing that we need to vanquish and live in a huge ball of light. Fear is there for a reason, so is Ego. Respect them, show them just as much love as you show light and meditating under your favorite tree of whatever. And tell suffering is an illusion of the blind and those who control their reality have none to those in fear and suffering, thats adorable to them :) While that might be true for me/you as well in the future. Im not so sure, all yin yang baby. Yin Yang, love it all, all is love.

In order for one's ego to exist, other [u:18eulo0t]people must exist[/u:18eulo0t] to conjure its existence via their perception of you. Looking at it from this angle, it is [u:18eulo0t]an extremely watered down, [b:18eulo0t]raw version[/b:18eulo0t] of yourself[/u:18eulo0t]. Other people created it, that which you see as you. In that sense, [u:18eulo0t]you[/u:18eulo0t] are nothing more than [u:18eulo0t]a mere thought[/u:18eulo0t]. That doesn't mean you aren't real, because [u:18eulo0t]thoughts are very much real[/u:18eulo0t]. I feel that if you really try to [u:18eulo0t]kill your ego[/u:18eulo0t], you are trying to [u:18eulo0t]kill yourself[/u:18eulo0t]. The reactionary result is the ego [u:18eulo0t]overreacting[/u:18eulo0t] by going into extreme survival mode in order to prevent itself (you) from being erased, and [u:18eulo0t]to perpetuate its existence[/u:18eulo0t].

When the ego is forced into such a corner, it (or you) becomes consumed in protecting all people possible in order to perpetuate existence. In that sense, by trying to kill your ego, you indirectly [u:18eulo0t]tame it[/u:18eulo0t]. The ego isn't a bad thing, but simply just [u:18eulo0t]misunderstood[/u:18eulo0t]. When the ego responds in the aspect I've described, an individual would most likely come across as humble, brave, and unlike others because most never reach such a high level of consciousness. Seems like somewhat of a paradox unless you start to consider the ego as [u:18eulo0t]a tool for perfection[/u:18eulo0t]. Perhaps [u:18eulo0t][b:18eulo0t]high grade[/b:18eulo0t] refinement[/u:18eulo0t] of the ego is where [u:18eulo0t]post-conventional morality[/u:18eulo0t] manifests from.

Challenge your ego and [u:18eulo0t]it will[/u:18eulo0t] challenge you!
Epoch

«  » by overflow88
Go on youtube and look up Alan Watts or Eckhart Tolle. They are both enlightening and entertaining teachers. :)
overflow88

«  » by ANewKindOfNeo
the ego is the part of you that writes on these forums.
ANewKindOfNeo

«  » by Clear Blue Sky
I am pondering now if Ego isn't the result of what is formed when you find yourself reflected by others. Their 'image' of you. Which is always going to be 1) not quite true and also 2) inescapable so long as others are regarding and judging you. There is an innate lack of flowstate between your true self and caring for the other-image false self that is ego before others. So when people judge you wrong, there is a drive/need to 1) defend the ego and also 2) at some deep level resent the ego in other words the false images others cast of you. Lately people have been saying utterly false things about me. I am considering libel for defamation of character. There are folks taking charge who are saying lies like "perception is realty" but they don't mean your perception they mean their perception, and have no care for truth. it a horrid situation for me being such an honest introvert. but on reflection I wonder if *anybody* ever has really understodo the true me. :( or should I just not care and allow myself to 'become' what they are claiming?
Clear Blue Sky

«  » by soveriegnslade
im going with the kicking and screaming till some one notices thing. i had a super ego at a very young age. i noticed that no one really wanted to talk about things or understand things b/c i was just a stupid child saying stupid childish things or asking "stupid" childish questions about how this could be better or that could be gone and how no one follows the golden rule ( that i just learned was what i had pledged to follow since 8 for the most part) so with all of that i ended up with a personality that has a hair trigger between super ego and ego.

ego is more like a defense mechinism. they say your stupid so you say your the best in the world. somewhere you know your in the middle but they say an extreame you say an extreame oppisit and you never really know where you are bisides some where in the middle.

any way the process for ppl who are empethetic is ego, superego, back to ego, maybe at age hmmm....maybe 24-27 you should have a REAL concept of what you are but by then can you imagine the kind of damage
being in an abusive society would have delt by then?

this is why many ppl cannot have an accurate veiw of who they are.
soveriegnslade

«  » by LucidDreams
ANewKindOfNeo wrote:the ego is the part of you that writes on these forums.
+999999999999999999999999999999
LucidDreams

«  » by Clear Blue Sky
nah, sue em all for slander, take their money and land and horses.
Clear Blue Sky

«  » by Epoch
ANewKindOfNeo wrote:the ego is the part of you that writes on these forums.

Sure, if you're [u:15wwasbh]egocentric[/u:15wwasbh]. This is common with [u:15wwasbh]trolls[/u:15wwasbh].

[u:15wwasbh]Most people[/u:15wwasbh] who post on the Internet [u:15wwasbh]do not[/u:15wwasbh] act the same way as they do in real life, in which they are kind of [u:15wwasbh]a shell of their former self[/u:15wwasbh] or what could be considered the ego. This has to do with [u:15wwasbh]detachment[/u:15wwasbh] due to technology. Psychologically it makes sense because if you get pissed off at an individual that you are talking over the phone with and your mind can't detach, then you would get pissed off at the cellphone. That is, you would get mad at the medium or tool instead of what is real. The Internet is [u:15wwasbh]a medium[/u:15wwasbh].
Epoch

«  » by ANewKindOfNeo
Epoch wrote:Sure, if you're [u:2mdvomw8]egocentric[/u:2mdvomw8]. This is common with [u:2mdvomw8]trolls[/u:2mdvomw8].

[u:2mdvomw8]Most people[/u:2mdvomw8] who post on the Internet [u:2mdvomw8]do not[/u:2mdvomw8] act the same way as they do in real life, in which they are kind of [u:2mdvomw8]a shell of their former self[/u:2mdvomw8] or what could be considered the ego. This has to do with [u:2mdvomw8]detachment[/u:2mdvomw8] due to technology. Psychologically it makes sense because if you get pissed off at an individual that you are talking over the phone with and your mind can't detach, then you would get pissed off at the cellphone. That is, you would get mad at the medium or tool instead of what is real. The Internet is [u:2mdvomw8]a medium[/u:2mdvomw8].

most people are egoentric. if you believe you are the body you inhabit and identify with the name you were given or by what you do...then you are egocentric.

if you understand that the 'devil' symbolises the ego than we are talking 'devil worship'...makes sense when you consider the millions who worship idols such as pop singers or sports stars etc

it is quite hard not to be egocentric. in fact one of the hardest things to do. for this reason i am making it my life's mission - which i just failed by writing this..:-(
ANewKindOfNeo

«  » by overflow88
I don't think the problem is "having" an ego and a sense of individuality, the problem is when you identify only with that. I do identify with my physical body, but I also realize that I am much much more than that. Most people who are "egocentric" do not realize it, they know nothing about the "ego" you see. When you realize that you are more than just your ego, and you are able to observe your thoughts from a higher perspective, you are well on your way to higher consciousness.
overflow88