Help Me Name My Church :-)

General Spiritual discussion
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of starting my own parachurch group this year and I need to come up with a good name for it. Although my long-term plan is to form and incorporate an indepedent church in my community, my short-term strategy is to start a simple interdenominational worship group that will operate outside of the parameters of any established church in the region. This group will not be a "church" in the legal sense of that term, but an informal gathering to be held in the evening on a day other than Sunday. That way, there will be no apparent competition between my parachurch group and other established churches, and people from all churches will feel comfortable worshipping with us without leaving their own congregations. In a year or so, when our membership has reached an appropriate level, we will then incorporate as a new church and move our worship to Sunday morning, thus creating a new congregation.

I'd like to come up with a snappy name for my parachurch group - one that isn't too "churchy," while still indicating that we are a Christian-oriented gathering. I'm thinking of calling it "In Sight" - a reference to spiritual "insight" and also a play on the idea of "Keeping Christ In Sight," which would be our accompanying slogan. I'd like to hear some more suggestions, though - the more creative the better! Any takers?
UntoldGlory

by Calibas
Holy Righteous and Good Temple of Jesus Christ and God and Those Other Biblical Guys Who Did Some Really Awesome Stuff

Hmmm.... I'd go with In Sight.

If you want a lot of people to come give away free donuts.
Calibas

rofl... I like that name! It would be a little hard to fit on brochures though, wouldn't it?

I hear that churches in Korea give out whole meals on Sunday. The Buddhist Temples also give out meals, and they compete with each other each week to see who can draw the most people. My Korean friend said that the quality of the food at the Christian churches is usually better, but at the Buddhist temples you get twice the portions, so it can be hard to decide which to go to :D
UntoldGlory

That sounds like fun! Thanks for the ideas, Imzadi!
UntoldGlory

Maybe this will a rough draft of our new logo. I'd like to do something that incorporates both the cross and the Star of David. The only problem I have with this sample is that the text in the middle is too small. It's hard to position that text, because it is always off-center, with "in" being much shorter than "sight."

UntoldGlory

I'd like for the points of the star to touch the golden circle, but I can't get my paint program to cooperate >_<

The idea is that the golden circle represents eternity, and the cross, at the center of the star of David, is the Christian's point of contact with eternity.
UntoldGlory

xxx
darksearch

hey untold i'm gonna have to think on this one... did a logo lay out for another church group once... i'll just ponder it awhile and pray ...he is faithful so let me see if i've got this right...

Insight.. Keeping God in Sight
golden ring for eternity
star of David ...why?
Christian Cross for Christ's connection,

i'll be back to ya soon...hopefully...:)
indigoglow4u

? focus on...

fellowship?
out reach?
missionary work?
all the above...

maybe a brief why??? you'd like to do his... some personal reflection.. if possible..

Thanks
indigoglow4u

by sshenry
Lots of symbolism thre glory :)

In-Sight is good, but it might not appeal to the younger crowd. Sounds a little like a corporate training center (no ofense - seriously, the Govt. has a "Fore-Sight" training group and a "Hind-Sight" recovery group).
sshenry

[QUOTE=sshenry;107178]Lots of symbolism thre glory :)
In-Sight is good, but it might not appeal to the younger crowd. Sounds a little like a corporate training center (no ofense - seriously, the Govt. has a "Fore-Sight" training group and a "Hind-Sight" recovery group).[/QUOTE]

That's interesting that you say that, because I was hoping that "In Sight" would appeal to a younger crowd. We have a major university here, and I'd like to get young people involved if I can. I didn't want to use a "churchy" name like "Holy Trinity Church" or whatever :rolleyes:

Do have any other ideas that might appeal to young people, while still being appropriate for a religious gathering?
UntoldGlory

[QUOTE=indigoglow4u;107139]hey untold i'm gonna have to think on this one... did a logo lay out for another church group once... i'll just ponder it awhile and pray ...he is faithful so let me see if i've got this right...[/quote]

I can use any help you can offer! :D

If you have better graphic design software than I have (meaning anything other than Paint), I could definitely use your help in making a more interesting logo :)

Insight.. Keeping God in Sight
golden ring for eternity
star of David ...why?

Studies show that there is a very small probability that Jesus was Jewish ;)

I also teach from a more Judaic perspective.
UntoldGlory

by Charity
In-Sight is good.
It's a bit strange to see the Star of David and Cross transfixed together.
How about picking a geographical name in the Bible? Some place associated with David?

I always loved the fact that in Israel there is a Mt.Carmel.
Charity

[QUOTE=indigoglow4u;107141]? focus on...
fellowship?
out reach?
missionary work?
all the above...
maybe a brief why??? you'd like to do his... some personal reflection.. if possible..
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Our church is progressively orthodox :)

I believe that the Christian community really needs to go back to its roots in the practical teachings of Jesus. We emphasize the idea that believers are Children of God and take seriously our task of Tikkun Olam - The Healing of Creation through right living and right relations with God and with others.

We are an ecumenical and interdenominational community. We invite Christians from all walks of life to share their insights. Our aim is to become the "Christian School of Athens," where religious ideas are vigorously discussed, debated, and explored. Eventually, I would like to invite speakers from a variety of perspectives to come and share their insights with the congregation. Imagine hearing from a Catholic Priest one week, a staunch Calvinist the next, and a Wesleyan pietist the week after that. As a church, we are not here to tell you what to believe - it's up to you to explore the ideas presented and draw your conclusions. That's the kind of community I want to build.

Finally, we are an open community. We believe that all Christians, guided by the Holy Spirit, have a God-ordained right to actively participate in the teaching and worship of the local church. After every service, the floor will be opened for discussion and all present will be encouraged to share insights, ask questions, and even challenge the material presented by the church's preacher. When we expand our services, we will also have an additional service in which members may volunteer to present a message or lead worship.

Hope this helps - I'm kind of writing on the fly here, but this is a general outline of the direction I intend for my church to take when it gets off the ground :D
UntoldGlory

[QUOTE=Charity;107489]In-Sight is good.
It's a bit strange to see the Star of David and Cross transfixed together.[/quote]

Yeah, I might need to change that if it deters people from joining in. It's a shame that Christians aren't used to seeing the Star of David, since we follow the teachings of a Jewish Rabbi and are, in fact, a Jewish sect. :(

The design actually comes from a necklace that a friend of mine used to wear. She was a Messianic Jew and wore a pendant with the Star of David and a Cross, much like the logo depicted above.

How about picking a geographical name in the Bible? Some place associated with David?
I always loved the fact that in Israel there is a Mt.Carmel.

You know, I actually like that idea. There's a church called "Mars Hill" that seems to be doing a good job of pushing past conventional ideas of worship.

Zion would be a cool name, wouldn't it? Or Moriah - the mountain where Abraham was asked to sacrifice Isaac?
UntoldGlory

[QUOTE=UntoldGlory;107501]Our church is progressively orthodox :)

I believe that the Christian community really needs to go back to its roots in the practical teachings of Jesus. We emphasize the idea that believers are Children of God and take seriously our task of Tikkun Olam - The Healing of Creation through right living and right relations with God and with others.

We are an ecumenical and interdenominational community. We invite Christians from all walks of life to share their insights. Our aim is to become the "Christian School of Athens," where religious ideas are vigorously discussed, debated, and explored.

Finally, we are an open community. We believe that all Christians, guided by the Holy Spirit, have a God-ordained right to actively participate in the teaching and worship of the local church. After every service, the floor will be opened for discussion and all present will be encouraged to share insights, ask questions, and even challenge the material presented by the church's preacher. When we expand our services, we will also have an additional service in which members may volunteer to present a message or lead worship.

Hope this helps - I'm kind of writing on the fly here, but this is a general outline of the direction I intend for my church to take when it gets off the ground :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks this helps alot.. working on it......:)
bless you and your desires...
indigoglow4u

Thanks, Indigo! I appreciate your help!
UntoldGlory

by Charity
Moriah would be a great name. I am a Tolkien fanatic so I am biased though.
Charity

LOL, that's Moria, but I've heard that the Biblical Moriah might have been an inspiration for the name, along with a story Tolkien read as a child called "Soria Moria Castle."
UntoldGlory