Why are people miserable?

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.
" wrote:what does it mean? :o

pursueth :confused:

fancy way of saying "pursue" I guess.
GenericIndigo

Blogs: 16

...to stalk indefinitely to no end and harass constantly and incessantly-- could be another definition.
GenericIndigo

ah.. ok :) thanks!
Aris_G.o.w.

Me too, though my record is expunged; therefore it never happened.

Hmmm, sort of a time travel paradox. Good thing I don't believe in paradox. ;)

" wrote:fuck small change... I was arrested for far worse...now what???
tmt

Blogs: 31

some months ago a friend of mine was arrested during a protest, for having a molotov coctail in his bag...

funny thing is that he didn't have a bag and he never carries one
Aris_G.o.w.

That sucks, he was probably standing next to someone that did and got arrested for gp.

" wrote:some months ago a friend of mine was arrested during a protest, for having a molotov coctail in his bag...

tmt

Blogs: 31

it's very usual here.

there are "fake" protesters in the demonstrations to do the "dirty job", sent by the police. of course camouflaged, as if they were riots.
pretty clever and awful
Aris_G.o.w.

At this time in our spiritual history we are experiencing the greatest sense of our perceived separation from Source and each other. This is a good thing actually in coming to feel and realize this. An extreme case of loneliness even if we are married, have kids climbing on us night and day or active social lives. . On a physical level we try to alleviate this by herding together which helps to a certain extent in realizing we are not really separated only by physical form. But people are really wanting to connect on higher levels and their engagement in the physical form doesn't allow it.

Why else do we spend so much time online connecting on a spiritual level. The people in our physical form lives are still very material world engaged. So while they are all over the place and keeping us company when that spiritual aspect is missing we still feel like something is missing.

Some people can't ask for need fulfillment appropriately. They scream and demand for it because bad attention is better than no attention and they feel they have to assume some sort of 'role' to make them feels safe. It's an intense cry for help. Most people feel as if they will be rejected for who they are, so they assume some sort of role.
Celticknot

Blogs: 2

" wrote:some months ago a friend of mine was arrested during a protest, for having a molotov coctail in his bag...

I was going to cheer him on. then not anymore.
GenericIndigo

" wrote:People aren't taking responsibility for themselves. That's why they're miserable.

They look to the government to get them out of financial messes, to educate them, to provide food for them, to make sure there's water. We've all given up our freedoms and allowed others to take care of us instead of taking care of ourselves.

When we don't take responsibility for ourselves, we're miserable.

I don't think I can agree with you totally on this. I depend on the government to pay for my schooling and my housing (through the money they give me for schooling) and I'm not miserable. Neither are a lot of my friends on government aid. I also don't mind that the government provides me with clean water, postal service, fire fighters, police officers and a majority of other social programs.

Governments are meant to serve people. I think that if people are miserable because of the government it's because of a disconnect and not really because of dependency.

Although yes some people are miserable because all they do is wait for wel-fare checks but that isn't the majority of people. I don't know why so many people think that the majority of poor people are miserable idiots that just play the system. That's not entirely true. (Not pointing fingers... thinking back to my soc problems course... eekk)
Silverhaze

Blogs: 23

No Silver, I wasn't using the Welfare system as an example. I was using the government in general as one reason why people aren't happy.

And government isn't the only reason. I was saying that unhappy people take no responsibility for themselves. Happier people do take responsibility for themselves, their emotions, their circumstances.

I hear things like, "I was happy until those SOB's closed the factory" or "he made me mad".... People who are happiest take their happiness in their own hands and don't allow circumstances to control them.
Dabbs

Blogs: 7

" wrote:No Silver, I wasn't using the Welfare system as an example. I was using the government in general as one reason why people aren't happy.

And government isn't the only reason. I was saying that unhappy people take no responsibility for themselves. Happier people do take responsibility for themselves, their emotions, their circumstances.

I hear things like, "I was happy until those SOB's closed the factory" or "he made me mad".... People who are happiest take their happiness in their own hands and don't allow circumstances to control them.

Oh okay. I got you.

Yes that's true.

In my psych of emotions class we talked about shame and guilt and control.

Some people have been taught or naturally feel that they have control over themselves and their choices and to an extent their situations. These people feel guilt but hardly ever feel shame.

Other people feel like they have no control. They often feel ashamed even for things out side of their control. Even though they feel like they have no power, the feel like they should have power and feel like they are responsible for their problems somehow even though they feel like they can't change it.

Of course these are just two examples everyone is different and there are a million variations but it mainly goes back to taking responsibility for yourself. Do you realize what you do have control over and what you can change and do you realize what you can't change and accept it and move on.

Some people get caught up in thinking they can control everything and they can't and then they become miserable as well. Others can't accept that somethings just are and move on. They get fixated and are miserable about somethings that just are out of their control.

There are many reasons but I agree with you that for some people it's just not taking responsibility for themselves and the situations that they have put themselves in.
Silverhaze

" wrote:What does that even have to do with the topic?

Don't mind me, I'm sorry. This fever is getting to my head. :)
Everything is ok

Blogs: 9

" wrote:I don't think I can agree with you totally on this. I depend on the government to pay for my schooling and my housing (through the money they give me for schooling) and I'm not miserable.

Yes, I got my federal pell grant and state federal pell grant which gave me a tuition-free education. I also got EOP (Educational Opportunity Program) which paid for all my books. It amazes me to see people take the smallest things in life for granted. They can't even be happy for something like that. Most people I know that were from a high socioeconomic status actually had to work their ass off part time but my college years were simply just to study for tests and have fun. The crowd I grew up really believed that they could not succeed because of their disadvantaged background. This is silly because a positive attitude and wanting to be in a state of happiness can create a positive reality.

Neither are a lot of my friends on government aid. I also don't mind that the government provides me with clean water, postal service, fire fighters, police officers and a majority of other social programs.

Yes, college students can qualify for food stamps even today. There are lots of social programs out there except maybe for housing the homeless depending on where you live.
serenesam

" wrote:...to stalk indefinitely to no end and harass constantly and incessantly-- could be another definition.

It's written in our constitution that we must always find happiness outside of ourselves.

Life, Liberty, and The 'Pursuit' of happiness.
MiamiSound

Blogs: 63

" wrote:It's written in our constitution that we must always find happiness outside of ourselves.

Life, Liberty, and The 'Pursuit' of happiness.

I was going to bring that up and then I forgot. Yeah it does and I never really thought about it until this thread. But I suppose that also protects us from having our happiness taken away. Like someone telling you you can't be with the person you love (like the laws against gay marriage and the old laws forbidding interracial marriage). Yes you could still be happy without that person that you love but why should you have to be without them?
Silverhaze

But why the mention of pursuit? why not just say ' life, liberty, and happiness '?
MiamiSound

Blogs: 63

its simple...
people aren't miserable
only if they choose to be.
some people have the right to choose to be miserable
some are miserable because it was being chosen for them
everybody has to learn something from this trip from this live
and if that means to be miserable and learn everything the hard way.
then so be it.

-people aren't miserable-

love and light
martijn
mojo5040

Blogs: 2

True, true. I suppose that has something to do with our free market, materialistic form of government. Money= happiness. Must be free to pursue money, I mean happiness.

But who knows. The person who wrote it has been dead for long over a century.
Silverhaze

because of neuro-linguistic auto-suggestive miserably-motivated thread titles.
GenericIndigo

Return to index page Indigo Cafe