Becoming an Optimist

General Open Discussion for topics not covered anywhere else.
" wrote:In a Chassidic book called the Tanya the Zohar is quoted - "from the forest itself comes the handle for the axe" - meaning that bitterness (handle) is sometimes the remedy for depression (forest) - that's the association that came to me when I read your post. Thanks.

embrace your inner coffee!!!! (bitterness)
GenericIndigo

Blogs: 16

" wrote:embrace your inner coffee!!!! (bitterness)

You want me to be bitter? What good will that do - help me to overcome depression?
Aaron Benjamin

" wrote:You want me to be bitter? What good will that do - help me to overcome depression?

it is only a stage. it will pass. enjoy it.
GenericIndigo

" wrote:it is only a stage. it will pass. enjoy it.

OK, then how would you suggest I become bitter?
Aaron Benjamin

" wrote:OK, then how would you suggest I become bitter?

don't try. just don't fight it when you feel the urge.
GenericIndigo

" wrote:You want me to be bitter? What good will that do - help me to overcome depression?

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Here I have somthing that will shed some light on what you are going through with your depression Aaron and here it is click on this, this will help you alot just click on this link to this thread right here. >>> Societal Problems, Alternative Naturopathic Health & The New Age Spiritual Movement..[/font]
brandonkeys@live.com

Blogs: 14

I'v always liked being around optimistic people, just not all day, they can really bring out the pessimism in a person. Inspiring hope is beautiful, but blind optimism seems contrived. Like someone on their deathbed being told 'Its going to be ok!'
MiamiSound

Blogs: 63

" wrote:don't try. just don't fight it when you feel the urge.

Isn't it better to try to be happy?
Aaron Benjamin

" wrote:[font="Palatino Linotype"]Here I have somthing that will shed some light on what you are going through with your depression Aaron and here it is click on this, this will help you alot just click on this link to this thread right here. >>> Societal Problems, Alternative Naturopathic Health & The New Age Spiritual Movement..[/font]

Are you suggesting naturopathic medicine?
Aaron Benjamin

" wrote:I'v always liked being around optimistic people, just not all day, they can really bring out the pessimism in a person. Inspiring hope is beautiful, but blind optimism seems contrived. Like someone on their deathbed being told 'Its going to be ok!'

Would you agree with me that the main reason for optimism would be if one has a belief in an eternal life?
Aaron Benjamin

one might decide that they could change themselves and their situation, with help, and therefore feel optimistic. you have stated that you don't feel that way.
rabana

Blogs: 4

" wrote:one might decide that they could change themselves and their situation, with help, and therefore feel optimistic. you have stated that you don't feel that way.

That is true Rabana, my Mother has had a stroke 26 years ago and she has been handicapped ever since. I have more recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia etc. These are two problems that I do not know if they can be overcome without miraculous intervention by G*d I would imagine.
Aaron Benjamin

and you don't accept the idea of reincarnation? some chassids do, i'm told.
rabana

" wrote:and you don't accept the idea of reincarnation? some chassids do, i'm told.
I do believe in reincarnation since I was taught to believe in it from the teachings of the Arizal for example - a famous Kabbalist - I just don't know if I can understand what the point of reincarnating would be if one does not remember their previous life / lives and the people that one loves / knows etc. Maybe groups of souls are reincarnated together so that even if none of the people remember their previous lives, yet the people they love are still part of their life in a new cycle.
Aaron Benjamin

Aaron -- I know it doesn't seem like you care about money... but the following book, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, has nothing to do with money... if you understand the book...

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. I'd be interested to discuss this book with you if you want to read it. I can email you a PDF version if you don't tell anybody.
GenericIndigo

" wrote:Aaron -- I know it doesn't seem like you care about money... but the following book, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, has nothing to do with money... if you understand the book...

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. I'd be interested to discuss this book with you if you want to read it. I can email you a PDF version if you don't tell anybody.
I am not such a big reader, but if you want to send it to me I can take a look. Maybe it would be better if you just tell me a bit about what you got from the book in your own words.
Aaron Benjamin

" wrote:I do believe in reincarnation since I was taught to believe in it from the teachings of the Arizal for example - a famous Kabbalist - I just don't know if I can understand what the point of reincarnating would be if one does not remember their previous life / lives and the people that one loves / knows etc. Maybe groups of souls are reincarnated together so that even if none of the people remember their previous lives, yet the people they love are still part of their life in a new cycle.

many of us do remember those lives. however i mentioned it because you have had peaceful rewarding lives also. knowing that has always given me comfort.
rabana

" wrote:many of us do remember those lives. however i mentioned it because you have had peaceful rewarding lives also. knowing that has always given me comfort.

Hi Rabana, do you remember those lives? Do you know personally anyone who does? Also, how do you know that I have had peaceful rewarding lives? I would be interested to know.
Aaron Benjamin

" wrote:Would you agree with me that the main reason for optimism would be if one has a belief in an eternal life?

Well, it could be true for some individuals but i wouldn't be able to tell you what the underlying motive is for everyone who subscribes to optimism. I think there are as many reasons for optimism as there are people.
MiamiSound

Blogs: 63

" wrote:Well, it could be true for some individuals but i wouldn't be able to tell you what the underlying motive is for everyone who subscribes to optimism. I think there are as many reasons for optimism as there are people.

I guess that for most people the idea of an Eternal Life sounds like an abstract concept which may or may not exist in their view, most people who are happy are probably happy with their circumstances in this world etc.
Aaron Benjamin

Return to index page Indigo Cafe