What has been going on with the forum

So as you probably noticed, the forum has been offline for some time, here is approximately what happened :

The forum changed owner, and as the software was still very buggy, sending tons of error mail and not working, they tried to fix it, and then crashed the database, the hoster could restore a 3 weeks old backup, but the vbulletin would not work, and unable to login etc well big problem.

From there we decided to move away from vbulletin, so i had to reimport all the database in the phpbb system, which took forever, and still to this day something are still not all correct, like topic poster name to the second poster, some thanks are missing, and some password will probably not work.

Normally most of the password for old accounts should work, if you have issue logging in, you should be able to recover the password using the mail you used to register the user, if you don't have access to the mail box, or that you have issue with the password, it can be reset manually from the admin so i can set a dummy password for you to login and then you should be able to change it back.

It's linked to recent password encryption scheme in vbulletin, it's used on account that has been moderator, or some old account, and most account created in the past 6 month or year or so, so for these account the password has to be reset in a way or another.

Otherwise hopefully there is not too much bugs, some functions will be added in a latter version like blogging and more social networking feature, if things are not working beside the pw thing, or that some features are missing, don't hesitate to post something here.

All account are unbanned, and all soft deleted threads are restored, all locked thread are unlocked, all restriction/bans/infractions are reset too. Basically i didn't import any of the permission/ban/moderation thing from the vbulletin, and the owner wanted to unban all account anyway.

So here it goes, sorry for the long offline time, but there was still lot of work to do to make the site well working again.
1 x

Re: What has been going on with the forum

Clear Blue Sky wrote:Wonderful! Love the new colors. Will we be getting our old blogs back?
Normally yes, i didn't look in this part of how it's made in vbulletin, and if the blog system are compatible, but normally i'll try to get them back :) For the moment i just set up the base things to get it running asap, but i'll add more things in latter version with blog and something more social networking, and some other things.

Maybe i'll try to also create forum/threads to fetch back the group archive from the old IS if people want to get back things they wrote in there.

Well if people want to get things from the blogs, it can be retrieved in any case.

There are things few minor things to fix up with this version, and i'll see after to add blog and social net system, and maybe finding a system to get group back, not sure how the private group thing can be handled, or if it's worth to restore the group thing. Never used this personally, but i think some group were bit active.
1 x

l am lost to find or connect to my previous pre crash posts.
how can l follow the 'latest post' tag list?

and how can l connect to what l was following before?

there was a list of latest posts which was very useful to pick up on. very useful.

and l have no idea how to reach back. its all new and another uphill curve, l feel outside the loop. lost. my old post history...is gone...and now all l have is tree shugger to connect with, although not the best marathon catch by and by...
1 x

planetzargplanetzarg wrote:l am lost to find or connect to my previous pre crash posts.
how can l follow the 'latest post' tag list?

and how can l connect to what l was following before?

there was a list of latest posts which was very useful to pick up on. very useful.

and l have no idea how to reach back. its all new and another uphill curve, l feel outside the loop. lost. my old post history...is gone...and now all l have is tree shugger to connect with, although not the best marathon catch by and by...
The backup we restored was 3 weeks old before the crash, so no hope of getting back anything that is 3 week before the crash.

The subscription, well i didn't import them yet, the technically issue with this is that there is a whole double manner in which all the thread and meta data are stored, my guess is that they upgraded the system at some point, and it converted all thread/blogs and all into a tree of nodes, and so all meta data have kind of double indexing depending on if it deal with nodes or threads. The threads table stop around 27/11/2014, after this all thread are in the node table.

I looked at the subscription table, and it only use old thread id, and not the node id, so there is a way because the node stored the old thread id in them, but this old id can as well a blog id, or post id, or other things, i didn't find a good efficient way to sort this out yet. And keep in mind there is about 2 000 000 node entries, 70 000 thread entry, 60 000 users, hundred of thousand of subscrition, anyscript to run over all this letterally take hours if not a day.

All together i decided who care about suscription, regarding the mess it is to get them back, but if some people really want them back, i can give another try at it, but it's a little bit hell to get them back. And even so, i don't have a reliable way to check if the import is correct.

You can suscribe/bookmark thread with the little menu next to post reply in the thread page.

There are links below the chat box to view active/new posts. Normally you can also view your own post with the link 'your post' in the main nav menu bar , and do search in it.

Some of post/thread are being reviewed and potentially be removed, it's under progress at the moment, but some threads are being removed from the forum and reviewed for the moment, so maybe some are missing.
0 x