Chelsea Green Publishing - the leading publisher of sustainable living books since 1985.

Th Connection Between Digestive Issues and Depression

"The digestive tract and the brain are crucially linked, according to mounting evidence showing that diet and gut bacteria are able to influence our behavior, thoughts and mood. Now researchers have found evidence of bacterial translocation, or “leaky gut,” among people with depression.

Normally the digestive system is surrounded by an impermeable wall of cells. Certain behaviors and medical conditions can compromise this wall, allowing toxic substances and bacteria to enter the bloodstream. In a study published in the May issue of Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, approximately 35 percent of depressed participants showed signs of leaky gut, based on blood tests.

The scientists do not yet know how leaky gut relates to depression, although earlier work offers some hints. Displaced bacteria can activate autoimmune responses and inflammation, which are known to be associated with the onset of depression, lower mood and fatigue. “Leaky gut may maintain increased inflammation in depressed patients,” which could exacerbate the symptoms of depression if not treated, says Michael Maes, a research psychiatrist with affiliations in Australia and Thailand and an author of the paper. Currently leaky gut is treated with a combination of glutamine, N-acetylcysteine and zinc—believed to have anti-inflammatory or antioxidant properties—when behavioral and dietary modifications fail."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... e-depress/
Teabloom Flowering Teas and Blooming Tea Gift Sets

nice article, I suffer from this, it's not fun, food allergies are my cause, I have to be very careful as my particular food allergens are in most processed food items (Cow or Goats milk products, Egg white, Yeast and Brazil nuts (only the last one that isn't in almost everything). I agree it can make you really grumpy or sad or angry it's not just your energy levels that are affected, effectively you are being poisoned if you have this disorder. I think we have to remember that many children suffer from this too.

Re: Th Connection Between Digestive Issues and Depression

I agree, leaky gut can cause a lot of problems. Mercury toxicity lead to me having leaky gut, which I am currently healing.
The amino acid L-Glutamine is an excellent ally in healing leaky gut, also peppermint tea, resistant starch's such as potato starch, kefir's, good pro-biotics like prescript assist and staying away from industrial seed oils like soy and sunflower oils, gmo foods, heavily processed garbage foods and pasturised dairy. Also handling stress well always helps with any healing and especially anything to do with the gut. I chant Hu in times of stress as it is great at centering you
Online Yoga Class

Return to “General Health & Healing”