how can you find your totem animal?

how can you find your totem animal?

[CENTER]

Types of Animal Totems[/CENTER]
When discovering totems you must first understand if the totem is a Life Totem, A Journey Totem, Shadow Totem, or a Message Totem. All totems are powerful but the meaning that the totem brings will vary on your action depending on what type of totem has come to you.
Your Life Long Animal Totem works with you throughout your entire life or until such time that you no longer need that animal totem. It is always there when you need it's powers. Always reminding you of your power and connectivity. You may have only one or a few Life totems. They may become your Life totem at any time. But the primary Life Totem will be our focus at this time. The messages that your Life Totem brings are a hard reminder from Mother. Your Life Totem is always there for you and generally reflects your inner spiritual nature. Many call your Life Long animal totem your Spirit totem. For example if your Life Totem was a Penguin you would be a person who should be very spiritual since the penguin moves better in water (the symbol of the astral plane - which is were we go when we dream) than it does on land. Being able to leap out of the water (up to six feet) represents the ability of out of body experiences. It is also important to understand which type of penguin is your animal totem since some have additional characteristics that are important to consider, like most penguins life in tropical conditions not arctic ones.
A Journey Animal Totem reflects a period of time. Not just a day but weeks, months, or maybe year s- the time it takes you to walk the path that the Animal Totem is reminding or guiding you on. During this journey you will find that this animal is always showing up in your life or that several animal totems will appear in your life all to guide you on the path. When you find one, two or three animals all of a sudden making an appearance and their nature all has the same basis then you have found the basis of your path. The difference between the Journey Animal Totem and the Message Animal Totem is a period of time. A Message animal Totem will bring itself to you quickly and impartially where a Journey Animal Totem will slip in and out of your life over the course of a period. Looking into the cycle of the animal also can give insight to the length of the journey.
A Message Animal Totem usually is bringing you a self growth, spiritual message, or a cautionary warning. It is often a wake up call or slap in the face. It will usually be a very unusual experience making it very powerful at that time and very impartial. A Message Totem is a brief period of time, a day, a week, and occasionally as much as a couple of months but can be immediate for just a few hours. Sometimes a Message totem is not bringing you a message but causing a delay in your life. This delay, such as when you are trying to leave to go somewhere, is often in assistance for you; to be sure you are not in a place at a certain time so that you avoid an accident or can catch a phone call or meet someone you are supposed to run into.
A Shadow Animal Totem are those totems that test us. They have great power for us but will put us through tests before they will let their power work with and for us, instead of against us. In all of nature there is prey and predator. In the spiritual or Shadow World there is the same. A Shadow Animal Totem is one that initially you fear. The Shadow Totem often represents inner fears that you must overcome. You may have even been attracted by the animal; a very vivid test to see if you are ready to accept the power of the animal totem. Until you face the fears of the Shadow Animal Totem it's powers will work against you, not letting you soar high. When you overcome the fear of the Shadow Animal Totem you bring it into the Light World as a Spirit animal totem and they become one of your most powerful Animal Totems. Your goal with a Shadow Totem is to learn the lessons and incorporate that animal into your life. If you are scared by something over and over then you still have not accepted the lesson that animal has for you.

Blackbirds

Blackbirds

[quote=Lickdafoot;46492]Hey Magdalene I just want to share a little story with you, as a thanks, for teaching me about contacting animal totems. It must be working!!

Ever since I've posted in here, I've thought occassionaly about my animal totems. Usually when I'm driving, or looking outside, I'll ask the universe to show me an animal guide. Like I've told you before I've seen quite a lot of birds. I was driving to work a few days ago and thought, "Hmm I've seen a lot of blackbirds lately, they must be one of my guides." And low and behold, literally 10 seconds later, I came around a turn... I saw a whole swarm of black birds walking around the ground and the road, it must of been at least 50 birds. I slowed down but as my car reached the mob, they all started flying past, zooming right by my windshield!! For the next 20 seconds I felt like I was in a bird tunnel... I just saw all these black birds flying right around my car right in front of me!! It was really a pretty sight! And then, the next day I took a different way to work, and I was thinking about all those birds I had seen. About 2 minutes later i saw a HUGE swarm of birds, at least 200. Just sitting there in someone's yard, and i mean the WHOLE yard was covered with birds, a big black blob of birds! It was the most birds I've seen on the ground in my whole life! So now I'm going to reread what you posted about blackbirds and see how that could be influencing my life right now. =)[/quote]
Your story gave me the biggest chills ever! :)
I love that so much! It's so amazing the power nature will share with people once they are willing to listen or ask. Probably at the same time I was sitting in my car waiting for my husband to get in and watch a swarm of black birds flying from one tree to another in the shape of a triangle right over my car. It was amazing, I haven't ever seen anything like it! I had been wondering what that meant ever since it happened. Maybe they wanted me to get you more info, I am stupid for not seeing this post before hand, it has made my day!! Thank you so much for sharing it with me, and if you get any more let me know. :D
Much love to you!
*Hugs*
Peace.

Blackbird (Druid-dhubh, Lon Dubh): Legend says that the birds of Rhiannon are three blackbirds, which sit and sing in the World Tree of the Otherworlds. Their singing puts the listener in to a sleep or trance which enables her/him to go to the Otherworlds. It was said to impart mystic secrets.

The Blackbird
The blackbirds iridescent black plumage holds the energies of mysticism and magic. Druid legends say that the birds of Rhiannan are 3 blackbirds which sit and sing in the World tree of other worlds. Their singing puts the listener into a sleep or a trance which enables him or her to travel to the otherworld. It was said to impart mystic secrets. Those with this medicine often have a hypnotic influence on others as well as an uncanny ability to move between the seen and unseen worlds with clarity. They make excellent shamans and trance channelers.
Blackbirds are timid and prefer their own company over the company of others. In humans shyness and insecurity in group settings is common. Vulnerable to outside influences those with this totem need to remember to clear accumulated influences from their energy field on a regular basis.
The male's distinctive song during breeding season is loud and melodious with flute like qualities. Males often sing from high perches and both sexes produce a variety of sounds which include mimicking other birds. Blackbird medicine people love to sing and have the ability use their voice to heal and inform. They are also good ventriloquists.
Blackbirds spend much of their time on the ground. Its locomotion includes walking, climbing and hopping forward and backwards. They forage for food in open spaces although cover is always near by. When foraging in leaf litter under trees they sound like people walking . In humans this suggests an ability to remain grounded in the earth energies while walking a spiritual path.
When resting the blackbird is frequently seen stretching, legs extended back, side wings in full extension, tail spread, and the head tilted to one side as if listening. Yoga and movement therapy are beneficial for those that hold this totem. The blackbirds flights are low, short and undulating but fast and direct over open country. They move with determination and focus and can teach us how to do the same. When blackbird flies into your life your connection with nature and the forces of creation increase. The magic of the underworld surfaces in your life. Awareness is heightened and change on a cellular level begins. The blackbird teaches you how to acknowledge your power and use it to its fullest.

Blackbird:
  • Understandling of the Energies of Mother Nature.
  • Cycle of Power: Summer

Blackbird awakens the mind with awareness as changes of perceptions are unfolding. He stirs psychic abilities and brings to consciousness latent healing gifts and creativity. Blackbird shows how to move with determination, focus and tenacity and how to use your power to its fullest potential. At this time there is a magic of the unseen worlds coming forth that is paired with the balance of grounding within the earth as you walk your path. Blackbird will guide in this new awakening. Blackbird teaches use of intuition that will aid in understanding Mother Nature and the connection to all things. Are you listening carefully to the seen and unseen worlds? Are you grounding and balancing your energy appropriately? Blackbird will teach much and bring new surprises when you least expect it. Pay attention and listen carefully.

[img]https://www.naturalia.org/ZOO/EUROPEO/AN ... IMG/91.jpg[/img]

B[size=-1]lackbird:[/size][size=-1] Blackbirds are known for their hypnotic song, which is said to lull the waking mind to sleep and to awaken the psychic mind. The Blackbird teaches you how to use your voice for healing purposes.[/size]

The red-winged blackbird is a common sight in the prairies and fields of the Midwest and is, in fact, a true harbinger of spring. Native Americans depicted these beautiful birds in flight.

The first-year male Blackbird of the nominate race may start singing as early as late January in fine weather in order to establish a territory, followed in late March by the adult male. The male's song is a varied and melodious low-pitched fluted warble, given from trees, rooftops or other elevated perches mainly in the period from March to June, sometimes into the beginning of July. It has a repertoire of other calls, including an aggressive seee, a pook-pook-pook alarm for terrestrial predators like cats, and various chink and chook, chook vocalisations. The territorial male invariably gives chink-chink calls in the evening in an (usually unsuccessful) attempt to deter other Blackbirds from roosting in its territory overnight. Like other passerine birds, it has a thin high seee alarm call for threats from birds of prey since the sound is rapidly attenuated in vegetation, making the source difficult to locate.
At least two subspecies, nominate merula and nigropileus of India, will mimic birds, cats, humans or alarms, but this is usually quiet and hard to detect. The large mountain races, especially maximus, have comparatively poor songs, with a limited repertoire compared with the western, peninsular Indian and Sri Lankan taxa.

Breeding

Eggs
The male Blackbird attracts the female with a courtship display which consists of oblique runs combined with head-bowing movements, an open beak, and a "strangled" low song. The female remains motionless until she raises her head and tail to permit copulation. This species is monogamous, and the established pair will stay together as long as they both survive.
The pair prospect for a suitable nest site in a creeper or bush, favouring evergreen or thorny species such as ivy, holly, hawthorn, honeysuckle or pyracantha, and the female builds a neat cup-shaped nest from grasses and similar vegetation, which she then lines with mud or muddy leaves. She lays three to five (usually four) bluish-green eggs marked with reddish-brown blotches. The eggs of birds of the southern Indian races are paler than those from the northern subcontinent and Europe.

Chicks
The female incubates for 12-14 days before the altricial chicks are hatched naked and blind. Fledging takes another 10-19 (average 13.6) days, with both parents feeding the young and removing faecal sacs.
The young are fed by the parents for up to three weeks after leaving the nest, and will follow the adults begging for food. If the female starts another nest, the male alone will feed the fledged young. Second broods are common, with the female reusing the same nest if the brood was successful, and three broods may be raised in the south of the Blackbird's range.
A Blackbird has an average life expectancy of 2.4 years, and, based on data from bird ringing, the oldest recorded age is 21 years and 10 months.

The Blackbird lives in close association with humans, and its melodious, distinctive song is the theme of the poem Adelstrop by Edward Thomas;[INDENT]And for that minute a blackbird sang[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Close by, and round him, mistier,[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Farther and farther, all the birds[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire.[/INDENT]

The Blackbird’s song is also recalled in theBeatles track Blackbird:[/color][INDENT]Blackbird singing in the dead of night,[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Take these broken wings and learn to fly[/INDENT]

[INDENT]All your life,[/INDENT]

[INDENT]You were only waiting for this moment to arise.[/INDENT]

Perhaps the most familiar reference for many people is in the nursery rhyme:[/color][INDENT]Sing a song of sixpence,[/INDENT]

[INDENT]A pocket full of rye;[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie![/INDENT]

[INDENT]When the pie was opened the birds began to sing,[/INDENT]

[INDENT]Oh wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?[/INDENT]
This probably refers to the medieval conceit of placing live birds under a pie crust just before serving. Like many other small birds, blackbirds have in the past been trapped in rural areas at their night roosts as an easily available addition to the diet.
The Blackbird, unlike many black creatures, is not normally seen as a symbol of bad luck, but R. S. Thomas wrote that there is "a suggestion of dark Places about it".
The Blackbird is the national bird of Sweden, which has a breeding population of 1-2 million pairs, and was featured on a 30 öreChristmaspostage stamp in 1970.

Blackbird - Omens and mysticism, color of fear and promise.

Blackbird-primal famine energy trance work, territorial, omens, mysticism, promise.
[img]https://www.storyhouse.org/fish/5127blackbirds.jpg[/img][/B]
Bird - Unity, Freedom, Individuality
[img]https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/blog/ ... 704263.JPG[/img]
[/COLOR][/size][/FONT][/b]
Omens, mysticism.
Various types: Blackbirds with a yellow head and throat are associated with the Archangel Auriel. Red-winged blackbirds are associated with the Dark Mother, feminine energies, and the stellar energies of Cancer.
When used meditating you are subliminally guided into an altered state of consciousness where you will meet your animal totem in its environment so that you may speak to it and learn it's lessons for you

[img]https://www.birdfinders.co.uk/images/yel ... a-2007.jpg[/img]

[img]https://jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu/birds/o ... 4_c-45.jpg[/img]

More helpful info...

More helpful info...

In earlier days we understood that we were simply one small part of the earth. Now many think humans are the greatest and most important part but we are only a part of the Earth Mother & Nature Spirit.

... We used to respect Nature and killed only what we ate and used for skins. We painted the animals on our homes, caves, death chambers, and asked the Spirit to guide us to the animal that we are part of & We honored the spirit of our prey.

... These acts allowed us to remain linked to the animal guides and to accept the power they offer us in lessons, in life, and in death. It reminded us that all animals, were our sisters, brothers, and cousins and most importantly our teachers and our friends. It reminded us that we too are animals with spirit.

The Natural Power of animal totems has not been lost. They still hold the power and the knowledge Only we must remember how to be One with Nature and all that is, has been, and will be.

... Cultures of the past understood the connections. We must not lose this connection now that we are 'cultured'. For what was will always be and all those cultures could not have been wrong.

... There is a reason that Spirit has given us medicine, for the body and the spirit. We are all one. Using Animal Totems will allow you to see and love the earth better, to know life better, to know yourself better, and to commune better with Mother and Spirit.

... You can be healthier and happier physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually in understanding and honoring your animal totems.
Each animal has it's own special power and message, a powerful spirit and an inherent skill. The Animal Totem that comes to you offers you power and wisdom if you will learn to communicate with it, with respect, trust, and understanding.

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them & what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys.
Your Life Long Animal Totem works with you throughout your entire life. Always there when you need it's powers and generally reflects your inner spiritual nature. You may have only one or many Life totems.

... For example if your Life Totem was a Penguin you would be a person who should be very spiritual since the penguin moves better in water (the symbol of the astral plane - which is were we go when we dream) than it does on land. Being able to leap out of the water (up to six feet) represents the ability of out of body experiences.

A Journey Animal Totem reflects a period of time. Not just a day but weeks, months, or maybe a year - the time it takes you to walk the path that the Animal Totem is reminding or guiding you on. During this journey you will find that this animal or several animal totems will appear in your life all to guide you on the path.

... When you find two or three animals all of a sudden making an appearance and their nature all has the same basis then you have found the basis of your path.

... The difference between the Journey Animal Totem and the Message Animal Totem is a period of time. A Message animal Totem will bring itself to you quickly and depart where a Journey Animal Totem will slip in and out of your life over the course of a period of time.
A Message Animal Totem usually is bringing you a self growth or spiritual message - like a wake up call or slap in the face. It will usually be a very unusual experience making it very powerful at that time and very impartial.

A Shadow Animal Totem are those totems that test us. They have great power for us but will put us through tests before they will let their power work with and for us, instead of against us.
... In all of nature there is prey and predator. In the spiritual or Shadow World there is the same. A Shadow Animal Totem is one that initially you fear. The Shadow Totem often represents inner fears that you must overcome.
... You may have even been attracted by the animal; a very vivid test to see if you are ready to accept the power of the animal totem. Until you face the fears of the Shadow Animal Totem it's powers will work against you, not letting you soar high. When you overcome the fear of the Shadow Animal Totem you bring it into the Light World as your Spirit animal totem and they become one of your most powerful Animal Totems.

I love you all!!!May this help you on your search for your totems and spirit animals. Peace and love. *hugs*

Elephant, Cat, Weasel, and possibly the Jaguar

Elephant, Cat, Weasel, and possibly the Jaguar

[QUOTE=MagdaleneGraceMae;44872][CENTER]ELEPHANT[/CENTER]

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Before the power of Ganesha
All barriers and obstacles are removed.
Through the wisdom of Ganesha
I draw confidence and new opportunities.
Under the love of Ganesha
I learn and grow stronger in all ways.[/CENTER]

Ancient Power, Strength, Royalty
[LEFT]An Elephant totem gives you
ancient wisdom and power to draw upon.
It embodies strength and power.
Elephant people often have a very strong sex drive. Through the use of fragrances and incense,
Elephant can guide you to new energies and power.
Elephant people show great affection to their families, caring for the young and the elderly.
They also have an inborn knowledge of roots and plants.
An Elephant will give you insight into the power of the three feminine energies:
child, mother and old wise woman (or crone).
The Hindu god Ganesh, god of overcoming obstacles, is associated with the Elephant.[/LEFT]

Swahili Name: Tembo

3 Endangered Elephant Species

Elephant's Wisdom Includes:
  • Strength
  • Royalty
  • Connection to ancient wisdom
  • Removal of obstacles and barriers
  • Confidence
  • Patience
  • Using education opportunities
[/QUOTE]

I know one of my main totems is the Elephant. I feel close to them, and have little figurines and such all over my house. Usually given to me by other people. In a couple of dreams I saw a big spotted cat and thought it was the Cheetah, but I'm not sure. Maybe it was a Jaguar. Any way you could find info on the Cheetah? I would like to be sure.

I actually had a very interesting dream a couple of months ago where I was curled up with three other small animals. Sorta a dream about sleeping. One was a Cat, one a Weasel, and the third I can not remember. I remember having a hard time looking at the third in the dream. Either way I remember it being cute and furry.

I have also noticed when at other peoples homes that cats and dogs really like me. Nothing like TheRavenMother at the zoo, but they are really friendly. Nothing like fixing someone’s computer and their dog gets up from its owners lap and lies next to me. Blatant favorism. Thank god they all have a good sense of humor.

So for me it's the Elephant, Cat, Weasel, and possibly the Jaguar.

Love

Edit: Scratch that request for Cheetah info. Dun’t know how I forgot about you already posting that. Ya I definitely have the Jaguar as my big cat friend.

i have been more comfortable in nature and with animals more than people much of my life. animals i have found a connection with have been seagulls, crows, and mourning doves; skunks, panthers, and daddy long legs spiders. I would like to learn more from snakes in general... they seem reserved until threatened, but watch out if provoked! I cannot say i have a totem or spirit guide even though i would like to think i do. I think that animals have much to teach. thanks for sharing your knowledge, everyone.

I found my animal totem-or atleast one of them- from a dear friend of mine here at IS. It is the wolf as I relate to that animal so strongly. But I also very strongly relate to the elephant and to the buffalo-infact I bought a buffalo tooth some time ago and put a piece of hemp string through it and I wear it around my neck sometimes during the summer months ( resting just around the area of my heart) and I sometimes freak people a little when they ask me why I'm wearing a tooth there. When I tell them that it's a Buffalo tooth and that I'm wearing it to honor it's spirit, they look at me like I'm weird, but my friend here at IS made me feel much better when she said that she thinks I'm very cool for doing that! Thank you so much MagdaleneGraceMae for this thread... and to all of you who contributed! You are so wonderful and insightful. Blessings to you all.

Thank you MagdaleneGraceMae this is a really good thread. I am into the animal totems at the moment My elephant has been drawing close.
I have also been thinking how The Jungle Book relates to this, so it was interesting when pointed out how all indigos had wolf totems.

My totem animals are
Elephant
Butterfly
Dragonfly
Ladybird
Robin
Lion
Turtle
Turtle is the keeper of doors
and one of the ways into the Faerie Realm.
This makes sense, I have a strong connection to tree spirits, deities and devas.

I have had a flamingo given to me in meditation - do you have anything on these very pink birds with wrong way bendy legs??

Emma
xx

I just recently had a vision with a horse in it.

I had just awakened, and it was weird. I was sitting up and all of a sudden, everything just shifted from my bedroom, to a vivid image. It was of a horse crossing a road, from left to right. The surrounding was drab and everything seemed oppressive.

I also had another one where I was standing and looking at a dreary sky, and then I saw blackbirds swarming like locusts in the sky just yonder from me, they turned around and flew beneath some powerlines, then flew low enough to strike me. They flew right into me and the vision was over.

This just happend recently. I think I got the gist of the first one. Teh second one, I'm not too sure. I don't know if the birds were crows or ravens, more thank likely they were crows. Because they were rather small, compared to ravens.

hm, i know that my lifelong spirit animal is the lion. ever since i was a baby i have felt called to them. it's the only one whose presence i can feel non stop. it's quite comfortable, having a lion around all the time!! :D

I havent seen my animal totems in a while, they disappeared last tuesday actully, and well at first i figured they probalb went to go help someone else, but well, i havent seen them for a while, and that worries me.

It happened at the same time my seaguls, were replaced with crows.- I have about 6 seagulls, that got trapped in my winds, so they would folow everywhere it went. But well the crows are in there perch.

CJ-

animal totem

animal totem

yes, i do as well.

funny you should mention deer. i love all deer
humming birds, well now after my dream.
kitty's
wolves
lion
camel - i know funny right
horses
dolphins
cows tee hee
foxes
birds in general
bunnies
owls
[/IMG]

i was told my totem was a giraffe which i never have had much of a connection to really... cats of any sort wild or house cats just do it for me. i feel the biggest connections with leopards, cheetahs, and lionesses (not male lions for some reason) and my housecat cecelia i am so connected to this cat (or i should say cohabitate with ;) )
i absolutely adore her!! quite possibly my soulmate if anyone wants to hear the story of how i knew id be glad to tell lol

hmmm animal totems? i never really thought about it before I joined the forum. I've always loved animals completely.

Tiger
Seal
Crow
All Marine life (fish/turtles/everything)
Penguin
Elephant
Dogs/cats any pet

I connect with any and all animals so it's strange to narrow it down, those are the ones that i've had very strong connections with. Ask it to come over and it will etc. Crows have been trying to give me a message lately.

and Lately I've been seeing a ton of ducks and eagles

[url]https://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/totemroles.html[/url]
[url]https://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/contentsindex.html[/url]
I am glad the forest site was enjoyed. The above link is wonderful too..alot more in depth information. Enjoy!!

i think mine has something to do with dragonflies, as i like them and they seem to like me. also, i got a reiki healing done and after we finished the lady who did it told me that there were a lot of dragonflies around me. could anyone provide me with some more detailed information about dragonflies?

I'm drawn to:
Elephant
Bobcat/Lynx
Fox
Octopus
Flying Fish
Horse
and in birds:
Owl
Meadowlark
Hawk
Flicker
Cedar Waxwing

ANIMAL TOTEM QUESTIONNAIRE
Life Long Animal Totems

* When you were a child, what animal did you collect or obsess over that you are still attracted to today?HORSE
* Of all animals if you could have any animal as a pet or companion what would it be?DOG
* When going to the zoo, which animal do you spend the most time with or are drawn to?ELEPHANT
* If you could be any animal what animal would it be? SLOTH, LOL!
* What animal is in your dreams that you have had since childhood? HORSE
* What animal are you afraid of that you have no idea why you are afraid of it? HMMMM...?
* Of all animals what animals are you most attracted to?OWL
* When you are out in nature, do you often seem to run into the same animal? HAWK
* What animal have you bumped into over and over throughout your life? HORSE
* What animal have you watched for hours? HORSE
* Does art work or jewelry with a certain animal always attract you? OCTOPUS, OWL

You Life Long Animal Totem will be the animal that you answered at least three times out of the eleven questions. The more times the same animal is listed in your answers the more important and stronger it is in your life. The one that appeared most is your current Animal Spirit totem. OK, guess it's HORSE then.

Journey Animal Totems animal totem

* What animal have you started to see occasionally that you never saw before? None
* What new animal are you attracted to? Badger
* Are you dreaming of an animal lately? No
* Are you thinking about an animal lately?No
* In the past two weeks what animals have you seen or dreamt of several times?None

If you have a Journey Animal Totem you will have answered at least three of the questions with the same animal. Blessings on your new path.

Shadow Animal Totems animal totem

* What animal attacks have you been in? DOG
* What scary or traumatic animal situations have you been in? HORSE
* Does seeing a certain animal bring up feelings of fear? BEAR
* What animal do you run from? BEAR, SHARK, POISONOUS SNAKE
* What animals do you have reoccurring nightmares about? NONE
* Does just watching TV with that animal appearing scare you? SHARK

Answering two questions with the same animal means you have a Shadow Totem you must address. Remember that the Shadow Totem will continually test you and work against you for you are it's prey. You must embrace the lesson of the animal totem and conquer your fear, accept the power of the Shadow totem, and bring it into the light as your spiritual totem. Bear and Shark... have to look into those.

I don't know what that says about me...this is like another of the millions of 'self-definition' games we tend to play on here...exploring who we are and what that might mean. I don't know if it's going anywhere, might just be spinning wheels, but it is fun.
:)

I took a native americans class a few years back, and I narrowed it down to two (based on the way our teacher taught us to determine it, of course.):

Fox
Opossum

The opossum is a crafty animal that shows us how to play different roles. It knows when to act, when to hide, and when to show its true colors. Opossum is a master at recognizing truth as well as falsehood. When it wants attention it gets it. When it wants to be left alone it plays dead. It is a strategic animal that knows how to mold each situation according to its needs. It has the ability to decode hidden messages and read between the lines.

A supreme actor, the opossum can be aggressive or submissive depending on the situation. The opossum knows that each situation has commonalties as well as differences and reflects on them carefully before it responds. This links the opossum to the energies of practicality and ingenuity.

Always full of surprises and unpredictable opossums are masters at playing dead. When the time is right they can suddenly spring back to life. Playing dead is a self induced state in which the heartbeat actually slows and the pulse becomes minimal. This ability serves to confuse many predators giving the opossum an escape from life threatening situations.

Opossums are nocturnal and raise their young in a pouch on their mid section. The young are born blind and rely on their feelings to guide them to their destination. They learn to sense their way around at an early age developing strong instincts by the time they reach adulthood. These instincts are complimented by their inherent ability to disguise themselves. The opossum is a multi-faceted actor that continually changes its appearance. It does not allow its emotions to consume its actions and partakes in the game of life with strategic maneuvers. Part of what the opossum teaches to those with this totem is emotional and mental stability.

The opossum is a craftsman in the art of appearances. When it appears in your life it is telling you to wake up and pay attention. Things are not what they seem to be. By observing your actions, reactions, thoughts and feelings, deeper insights emerge. This emergence leads to self-empowerment.

Some of the descriptions I read for Fox seem to fit me better, and that Opossum one seems to fit me pretty damn well. But they change based on who you ask the characteristics of the animals :)

And, I don't think I know which one I truly resonate with yet.

My totem animal is the wolf....I have one as a guide, he is pure black in coat with the most stunning orange eyes. He walks beside and in front of me every single day.

I am also drawn to the following animals.

Crocodiles
Tortoises
Fish
Sharks
Whales

i also need to add coyote and foxes, they have helped and/or apeared to me as well

alot of mine literally seem to follow me, Ravens tend to be everywhere and they tend to get rather vocal for me, i've always had an attachment to cats and grow my nails long in honor of them, i've heard and seen wolves where there are supposedly none in the area, i've also seen a cougar outside my house. I can and have picked up wild snakes from around my yard since a young age and have never been bitten.likewise i've only been bitten by a large dog when i was a tiny girl, and it was my mothers dog after i offered it my donut as a 2 year old at that point not relizing i needed to put it on the floor, i was pinned lightly by the pit/chow mix yet suffered no severe injuries and only minor tiny scars from light scratches to my head. Butterflies appear and folow me, these are the spirits of dead ancectors according to native traditions and as such should be treated with upmost respect.
Tropical bird show hardly not fear to me, i love parrots and they love me back, but its not always tropical birds, but some of the smaller ones as well.
i've seen foxes in dreams many times, as well as coyotes, and i dream occassionally of all my mamilian and spirit animals curling up to me when i need to be protected, which suprisingly hasn't been often but i do see them, and feel warm with that knowlage

I have always connected with cats. My favorite's always been the black panther. There's just something so powerful about them. I had a past life dream where I was one. In the dream I remember lounging in a tree, looking down at the ground.

:cool: thread.

Raven'..when they first chose me, three would come.
Sometimes now three, and other times one.

Cats..also and I have a great connection, domestic ones I have, and many that just vist..alway seem to have a almost right away trust towards me. :)

[QUOTE=Synchronistic_Someone;166019]:cool: thread.

Cats..also and I have a great connection, domestic ones I have, and many that just vist..alway seem to have a almost right away trust towards me. :)[/QUOTE]

I always say my cat Jazz found me. I was going for a walk one day and thought I almost stepped on a dog. It was a orange fluffy kitten. He would leave my feet. Realizing he was homeless I took him home and now he is such a momma's boy:p

I have a very quick question.

Once, on a feild trip, we went to this animal park. Not a zoo, but, well, more of a refuge for animals. This one place, had three wolves. One pure black, two white. The black one seemed to like me. Always looking at me. Sometimes looking at other kids. One white one, a female I believe, kept on starring at me. She'd lay down and look at me. One of my friends said it was almost as if she was trying to communicate with me. I kept on staring back at her, trying to see if this was true. I got a strange feeling about love. Why? I am not quite sure.

I am wondering if this may be a sign that I am connected to wolves. I love wolves. I study them alot. I like the way they look, the way they hunt, everything! Does anybody have an answer for me???

i think i would be :

eagle
awk
lion
tiger

with preference for:

eagle :

Eagle = Capable of reaching zenith, great perception, bridging worlds

*Swiftness
*Strength
*Courage
*Wisdom
*Keen sight
*Illumination of Spirit
*Healing
*Creation
*Knowledge of magick
*Ability to see hidden spiritual truths
*Rising above the material to see the spiritual
*Ability to see the overall pattern
*Connection to spirit guides and teachers
*Great power and balance
*Dignity with grace
*Ability to see the "big picture"
*Connection with higher truths
*Intuitive and creative spirit
*Respect for the boundaries of the regions
*Grace achieved through knowledge and hard work

lion :

* Brotherhood
* Letting go of stress
* Strong family ties
* Strength
* Courage
* Energy
* Self fullfillment

Thanks, Hobby for directing me to this old totem post! Granted, I am most looking for an output to write about my experience with the vulture totem. This medicine has been close to me since my 14 year old cat's death this past Winter. Today I had a vulture fly about 5 ft. from my 2nd story balcony, over our parking lot. It stayed within my vision long enough for me to take in its details.

Occasionally, I can call upon the vultures and they will come closer to me. It's always been a bit strange to me because just like I've been categorized by this world as "peculiar" "strange" etc. these birds have been too. And they do such a service for this life. They truly are birds of renewal and transformation. They commit a kind of alchemy with death and turn it into life and nutrition.

I had a strange thought the other day when I was running down the stairs with my doggy. I told myself and laughed that we die so many deaths in a lifetime of being alive. There really is no difference between living and death, except that one encompasses a different dimension. It's something our ancient ancestors understood and I think the vulture was more revered in their cultures. I've gotten really good at dying and coming back to life. I've felt this strongly for a long time. I don't know what that means exactly but sometimes it's such a huge concept for me to understand that I'm just left in awe of that potential.

The vulture is clever, persistent, patient, resourceful, perceptive, has good timing, evolved, naturalistic, earthy, and are oh so in tune with the weather. It is said that vultures are strongly associated with water and are believed to help bring about rain. They certainly have flight patterns and ways of communicating about the weather, to their own kind and to us.

well I dunno which is my main totem animal but I know I have something special with butterflies since theyre always around me haha they seem to like me for some reason haha I also entered a page from here and it said it was the doe =P I did it twice and got the same XD

https://www.poweranimalsunleashed.com/po ... 009doe.htm

You are blessed indeed to have the beautiful doe as your power animal. She appears delicate, but she is very strong. Her strength comes from her deep connection to all that surrounds her. She will teach you to stand within the moment, quiet and observant, sensing all that is, feeling each leaf of the forest as a deep part of your being.

She will also teach you lightness, lightness of the spirit and of the feet. With a deep intuitive sense of what is, you will know exactly when to take action and to do so decisively, moving quickly and gracefully in response to your knowing. She will teach you to sense the world around you so deeply and instinctively that you are always one step ahead of the events coming your way.

Let her light spirit fill you with the freedom and joy of being, so that you bound and leap through life effortlessly, always sure-footed, always deeply attuned, even when entering a new part of the forest. She will help you welcome the new experiences of life, giving a joyous welcoming to new beginnings.

As the doe, you will learn to be fearless, to trust your intuition completely and know that a deep awareness and connection with the world, combined with a belief in yourself, is the best possible protection there is.

and also on this page [url]https://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/birthtotmain.html[/url] said my birth totem was an owl =P I like owls too so could be haha

I could also add hummingbirds because Ive been connected to them since I was very little I always see them everywhereee haha some people have even told me I attract them lol I wonder if that could be true... also ladybugs (but Im not sure if those are included =P I always find them too) and frogs I totallyyyyy love frogs they always find meee haha somehow... theyre so cute =) I love em

[QUOTE=Astara;630245]Thanks, Hobby for directing me to this old totem post! Granted, I am most looking for an output to write about my experience with the vulture totem. This medicine has been close to me since my 14 year old cat's death this past Winter. Today I had a vulture fly about 5 ft. from my 2nd story balcony, over our parking lot. It stayed within my vision long enough for me to take in its details.

Occasionally, I can call upon the vultures and they will come closer to me. It's always been a bit strange to me because just like I've been categorized by this world as "peculiar" "strange" etc. these birds have been too. And they do such a service for this life. They truly are birds of renewal and transformation. They commit a kind of alchemy with death and turn it into life and nutrition.

I had a strange thought the other day when I was running down the stairs with my doggy. I told myself and laughed that we die so many deaths in a lifetime of being alive. There really is no difference between living and death, except that one encompasses a different dimension. It's something our ancient ancestors understood and I think the vulture was more revered in their cultures. I've gotten really good at dying and coming back to life. I've felt this strongly for a long time. I don't know what that means exactly but sometimes it's such a huge concept for me to understand that I'm just left in awe of that potential.

The vulture is clever, persistent, patient, resourceful, perceptive, has good timing, evolved, naturalistic, earthy, and are oh so in tune with the weather. It is said that vultures are strongly associated with water and are believed to help bring about rain. They certainly have flight patterns and ways of communicating about the weather, to their own kind and to us.
[/QUOTE]

Vultures have been in my life for a while and I am able to get messages from them for a while now. For instance the last time I went home to see my family there was a unusually frequent encounters with them and in numerous amounts. Less than a week later I had a life changing moment in my life.... I feel like the amount and the frequency of them was my warning of an impending life change. Anyway I read your post and felt a familiarity with you. Anyway you may want to check out this site, it has a lot of info on the vulture totem and some stories.
Enjoy :)
https://sped2work.tripod.com/totem.html

Animals that appeared in my dreams this year: Cats, a black dog, monkeys lately... *thinks* hmm... crocodile/alligator, baby dinosaur, wolves, frog, leopard, some kind of bug

I don't know my animal totem yet, but I suspect She is some kind of feline. I recently had a dream my totem visited me, but I forgot what kind of animal She was! =/

I'm drawn to cats, giant cats, and wild cats. I love leopards! I also like birds and reptiles.

Please can someone tell me what an animal totem actually is? I have asked people here before, but I didn't understand what they meant. So could someone please explain it in, say, baby or dummy talk? And not abstract adult language? Because the adult explanation just baffles me.

Thanks very much.

Return to “The Living Earth”