Hey Amoeba!

This is my definition of what an animal totem is. My father has always embraced our Native American lineage and so the concept of animal totems and guides has been something I've grown up with.

An animal totem is an animal that comes into your life: dreams and thoughts, who guides you with their medicine. I have experienced animal totems in the physical (ie. they show up around me a lot, jump on me, soar next to me, basically make themselves available very readily, easily seen by my physical eyes or heard my ears); other times I have experienced animal totems only through the etheric world. They show up in my meditations, my dreams, in my unconscious.... often times this is when I "validate" they are actually a totem of mine whether than just an animal that is trying to show me how to be more effective in the physical plane. Some animal totems stay with you for life, others come into your life for periods of time in order to teach you a new way of being.

My parents "gave" me my animal totem when I was little. In other words, basically, my father sensed what animal totem I had as a child and taught me a great deal about that particular animal. The interesting thing though is that these days I don't identify with that totem anymore. I grew out of it. In fact, the totems that I have connected with these days would prey on and kill the animal I was born with as a totem. There is one totem that I identified who is connected to my life spirit guide, she has shown me herself in animal form as well as a more astral bodily form and thus I believe her to be my lifetime animal totem/guide. Although, lately, I think I have mistaken her identity...thinking that she was a hawk when really...I think I might have mistaken her for that and she is actually a vulture. There is a prejudice against such animals being one's totem but in fact, I believe that I have begun to embrace my "shadow" side which brings me closer to being WHOLE and she is teaching me to combine my higher self with my shadow self.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to you but I'm hoping my examples do... it's the best way I know how to illustrate a concept to someone.

Lately, I have had grasshoppers in the physical plane very near me. I had an experience with 3 grasshoppers that personally sought me out the other day. One hung out on my apt. balcony, another one was on the roof of my car and stayed there even through a short drive to the store, then that evening I had one jump on me a couple of times when I was sitting on my balcony (different one from the one that I saw earlier on the balcony) - this means that this totem is actively seeding its medicine to me right now. I have had previous experiences with grasshoppers before (situations where I had to save them and release them back into nature, or where they would jump on me and take a ride as if it were my pet). Very interesting how often the grasshopper seeks me out. This has in fact become one of my totems because of my many experiences with the grasshopper. Same with the vulture...

I have 6 different animal totems which is a lot to experience. Some people have just one (their lifetime totem), some can experience up to 10-15 but I imagine that becomes kind of confusing at times because what totems ask us to do, in order to cooperate with their energies, is to experience their medicine. To "shapeshift" into their experiences. To sense what they sense...see, hear, feel, taste, smell what they smell. It allows you to shift your perspective to something totally new which opens up a world of possibilities in order to understand/experience our lives more wholly. Some have said that they are merely a representation of an archetype/faucet of yourself. Some believe them to be souls of ancestors. To me...they are simply great teachers.

The animals in our world are gifts given to us to bond with, gain insight from, and to remember that we, ourselves, are animals. Part of us will always be primal, instinctive, and of the earth. Totems remind us to treasure that part of ourselves and to use it to better ourselves.

As you can see in my avatar, i have a special connection to cougars but I could find only 2 links talking about their symbolism. If anyone could help with further information, I would be so grateful!
So till now I have only these information:
Cougar- Using Leadership Power Wisely and Without Ego, Balancing Power, Intention, Strength, Gaining Self-Confidence, Freedom from Guilt, Cunning, Savagery, Fury, Remorseless, Hunting, Seeking of Freedom, Balancing Intention, Power, Coming into Your Own Power, Courage, Swiftness, Balance
https://onespiritx.tripod.com/magick18.htm
COUGAR - is about personal power. When cougar appears in our life, it is time to learn about power, strength, and using the personal tools we have been gifted with by spirit. Learning to be assertive.
https://www.theearthangelconnection.com/ ... nimals.htm

Astara, thank you for taking the time to explain. It has made things clearer.

Do you know how it's possible to find out what your totem, or if some people don't have one? Or is it just one of those things that comes to you naturally?

I have always felt a special connection with certain animals, but I don't know if it would go as far as to regard them as totems or if they're just animals that stir strong emotions in me. One of which I have only ever seen in a zoo or on television because they're so rare/not found where I live.

As a child I used to "be" animals... not like typical child make-believe pretend, but it was like I felt like I was the animal. Even if others around me just saw some silly little girl acting all weird, to me I wasn't a little girl at all. I was an antelope, or a lion, or a lizard, or a bird, or a monkey. I felt what I imagined they would feel. I assimilated their behaviours and movement techniques into my own being and still have them to this day. In the wilderness I would copy animals and try to blend in as one of them. I would watch and learn from them what I could make use of even in the human world.

The main thing that doesn't tie in with animal totems is that to me it was never pinned down to any one particular animal. I never had one or two or even ten animals I felt and acted that way about. It was always just any animal that was around, any I had been watching and learning about, I'd try to enter their mind and become them.

I'd always tried to figure out if this was something other than just plain mental illness as I was taught to believe it was. I guess I never really wanted to believe it was because it never did me any harm (I felt I was learning positive things from it) and I never went too far as to forget I was still always human. But comparing my own experiences and animal totems, it doesn't quite seem like the same thing.

[QUOTE=MagdaleneGraceMae;43506]The Wild Boar Totem

[LEFT]The Wild Boar has been the symbol of warriors for centuries. The Celts believed that the Boar, which they called Torc or Bacrie, was their ally in war and there are many Celtic myths surrounding this noble animal. Native American Indians make war masks in the likeness of the Wild Boar to frighten and intimidate their enemies. The Boar’s head was used by many cultures as symbols of their countries of coat of arms. In particular Richard III of England took the Wild Boar as his personal Totem and coat of arms. The Wild Boar is mostly seen as a masculine entity and Totem, enriching the male virtues of bravery, nobility and fierceness in battle. The Wild Boar spirit will balance out male energy and ground the more virtuous aspects of the masculine nature.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The powerful Wild Boar has large tusks that can be deadly. They are fierce animals and signify the warrior spirit. This animal needs close body contact and tends to live in groups of fifty or more. They are clannish in nature but are wary of outsiders.
Wild Boars are mostly thought of as noble and brave animals that enjoy social interaction within their group. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]The Wild Boar possesses many animal virtues that are powerful and valuable and which any person would be wise to emulate or divine. One who has the power of the Wild Boar will see enhanced courage, fearlessness, and nobility; an increased ability to strategize and plan action aimed at obtaining success. Prosperity, re-birth and chivalry are also all part of this noble totem’s magic.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The Brave Wild Boar Totem possesses the following virtues:
Warrior strength, warrior mind, fierceness in battle, chivalry, nobility, prosperity, strategic skills, deadly accuracy, personal power, re-birth, organization, successful confrontation, comrade, respected leadership and pure masculine energy.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Wild Boar Animal Pearls are said to impart their particular magical virtues to their owner. Wild Boar Pearls are characteristic of its host animal; they possess all the awesome characteristics that may be seen in the Wild Boar itself; the nobility and courage of this animal is contained within the pearl waiting for its proper owner to bestow its inner magic to that unique and fortunate individual. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]For century’s warriors, kings, leaders, strategic planners, army generals, shamans, spiritualists and practitioners of the occult have used Wild Boar animal pearls to transfer the powerful magical energy of the Wild Boar to themselves and to others in need of this commanding animal magic. [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Wild Boar pearls are highly sought after by any wishing to absorb Wild Boar virtues into their lives and develop stronger mental abilities such as those embodied by this powerful creature. The owner of a Wild Boar pearl will see their lives, spiritual energy and mental clarity imbued with all of the virtues attributed to the “Warrior” of the lands, the Wild Boar. The Wild Boar animal totem is a strong spirit and its magical properties are one of the most influential of all animal totems. Strength, leadership, courage, warrior strength, nobility, prosperity, and so much more can be integrated into the spirit of the possessor of this magical pearl and the Wild Boar totem.[/LEFT]

Pig/Sow/Boar's Wisdom Includes:
  • [LEFT]Crone Goddess [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Rooting out the truth [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Deep Earth magick [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Past life knowledge [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Intelligence [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Cunning [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Becoming invisible during times of danger [/LEFT]

Weasel's Wisdom Includes:
  • [LEFT]Stealth [/LEFT]
  • Cunning
  • [LEFT]Ingenuity [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Revenge [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Keen observation [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Ability to see hidden reasons behind things [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Power of observation [/LEFT]

[LEFT]Crane's Wisdom Includes: [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Symbol of spring and light [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Astral travel [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]New knowledge [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Seeing all things associated with secrets [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Wisdom [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Seeks to help others on their paths [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Longevity [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Elegance [/LEFT]
  • [LEFT]Using voice uniquely [/LEFT]
[LEFT]CAT-Independence, Grace and Healing[/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Magdalene, your thread is amazing and thanx for the great information!!!! I was looking for more about Cougars, I have a special connection with them (yep I had many dreams that I was a cougar). If you could find I would be grateful!

[QUOTE=MagdaleneGraceMae;43074][CENTER][FONT=arial narrow]The Wolf.
The mournful cries rise in the night.
We are seeking!
Wolves' song greets the Moon so bright.
We are brace and wise!
Sleek, muscles bodies beneath the Moon.
We help turn the wheel of death and rebirth!
By our magic we a send a boon
Of true dreaming![/FONT]
[/CENTER]
[FONT=arial narrow]
[/FONT]
[CENTER][FONT=arial narrow]THE WOLF.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[FONT=arial narrow]

Intuition, Learning, Spirit [/FONT]
[CENTER][FONT=arial narrow]This totem brings faithfulness, inner strength

and intuition when he enters our lives.
But he also brings learning to live with one's self.
The wolf teaches us to learn about our inner self
and to find our inner power and strength.
But to achieve this, we must take risks
and face our deepest fears.
A wolf totem demands sincerity.
This totem demands a lot of us
but gives us much in return;
a spirit helper that is always there to help
and gives us extraordinary powers of endurance.
He reminds us to listen to our inner thoughts
and trust our insights.
They remind us not to waste resources and
to learn how to avoid trouble and confrontations.
People with Wolf totems have the capacity to make quick and firm emotional attachments.
Trust your insights about these attachments. Wolf will guide you.
Take control of your life with Wolf’s help and do so with harmony and discipline.[/FONT]
[/CENTER]
[FONT=arial narrow]
[/FONT]
[CENTER][FONT=arial narrow]
[/FONT]
[/CENTER]
[FONT=arial narrow]Wolf: loyalty, perseverance, success
Wolves have been long regarded by Native Americans as teachers or pathfinders. Wolves are fiercely loyal to their mates, and have a strong sense of family while maintaining individualism. In the stars, Wolf is represented by the Dog, Sirius, thought by many aboriginal tribes to be the home of the Ancients. Wolves are probably the most misunderstood of wild animals. Tales of cold-bloodedness abound, in spite of their friendly, social and intelligent traits. They are truly free spirits, even though their packs are highly organized. They seem to go out of their way to avoid a fight. One is rarely necessary when a shift in posture, a growl, or a glance gets the point across quite readily.
Traditionally, someone with Wolf Medicine has a strong sense of self, and communicates well through subtle changes in voice inflection and body movements. They often find new solutions to problems while providing stability and support that one normally associates with a family structure. Wolf's medicine includes facing the end of one's cycle with dignity and courage, death and rebirth, Spirit teaching, guidance in dreams and meditations, instinct linked with intelligence, social and family values, outwitting enemies, ability to pass unseen, steadfastness, skill in protection of self and family, taking advantage of change. [/FONT]

[/QUOTE]

I believe the wolf is my totem animal. I was 9 when I dreamed about them, in the dream I sacrificed myself, the wolves killed me, but my friends stayed alive. It maybe sound scary but it wasn't, it was peaceful. The minute I woke up, I knew we're connected, they are grateful animals. I also believe that this dream started the awaking (although I didn't know it back than).

Since resently awakening I couldnt stop hearing and seeing all kinds of birds. I seem to know where to look in the sky and I'll see them, as if they are telling me to look. 2 weeks ago I went to have some spiritual therapy. During the session I saw the sky, clouds, feathers and a large silhouette. When we had finished my therapist told me she saw lots of feathers and a giant eagle......wow! She also said this could be my power animal, now I know what the eagle represents it makes perfect sense to my personality. Does anyone know how I can communicate with my eagle now?

I guess mine is a deer and a butterfly.. Years ago, I dreamed that I was in a forest, wandering. I saw a deer and found many numbers near it, I can't remember the numbers but it has alot of zeros...

"When a Deer totem shows up in your life,
a new innocence and freshness is about to be awakened.
There is going to be a gentle lure of new adventures.
There will be an opportunity to express the gentle love
that will open new doors for you."

Three years after, I dreamed of a deep blue butterfly (which I now realized that it was indigo in color) which flew towards me... After two months of this dream, I've learned that I was an Indigo from somebody (I know that I am, the first time I heard it, it stuck in my mind). I guess that is what these spirit guides are telling me, that I'm on a new path of transformation/change which is needed. :)

"The butterfly is the symbol of change, joy and color.
It is the symbol of the soul.
They teach us that growth and transformation does not have to traumatic;
it can occur gently, sweetly, joyfully.

If a butterfly totem has shown up in your life,
make note of the most important issues in your life,
and see what needs to be changed."

thank you for the information it is quite interesting to me. i have heard about animal totems and always wanted to find one for myself or discover if i have one at all..
would you help me find mine? and learn more about the animal totems?

i love these things :D

I have always been drawn from a very very young age to Cats and Wolves. i feel they most closely resemble my spirit.

sometimes i wonder if snakes are on my totem because i am so scared of them and yet the play a part in some of my earliest memories.

I am also followed by owls.

[QUOTE=opiumchild;1113819]i love these things :D

I have always been drawn from a very very young age to Cats and Wolves. i feel they most closely resemble my spirit.

sometimes i wonder if snakes are on my totem because i am so scared of them and yet the play a part in some of my earliest memories.

I am also followed by owls.[/QUOTE]

These are some interesting parallels...for me, Wolf has always been there and is strong within me. Snakes used to scare me when I was younger, but I find them fascinating as I do with Spiders.

Owls, for some reason, also follow me and seem to be a harbinger of bad news usually..though not always...

Of interest, lately, I see Ravens or Crows everywhere...I usually attribute this to Odin's familiars, but they may have other meanings as well:)

[QUOTE=t1mb3rl1n3;1113881]These are some interesting parallels...for me, Wolf has always been there and is strong within me. Snakes used to scare me when I was younger, but I find them fascinating as I do with Spiders.

Owls, for some reason, also follow me and seem to be a harbinger of bad news usually..though not always...

Of interest, lately, I see Ravens or Crows everywhere...I usually attribute this to Odin's familiars, but they may have other meanings as well:)
[/QUOTE]

interesting you mention the ravens or crows because i was noticing them a lot this past week as well... usually one at time, during the winter i would see them in groups everywhere especially when i was thinking about things

--- ooo and i forgot to mention, i dunnos if its normal spider behavior but my parents used to call me "spider catcher" because everytime i saw a spider it stopped in its tracks, and even when i went to grab a cup or piece of paper to scoop them up and take them outside, they would still be in the same spot... i would have spiders run out from behind the tv towards me and then just stop still in the middle of the floor

----looked it up and i guess its normal behaviour? maybe? hahhaa *shrug* :p

i was looking up spider totems after writing my reply and i thought it was interesting how it mentioned the number 8 and spiders (8 eyes, 8 legs) and stuff

and then i was remembering me complaining about being surrounded by 8's (my b-day is 8/88 and in numerology my birth name adds up to 88) and so i got super excited and was like IT MUST MEAN SOMTHING!!!

and then i realized i was prolly just making up stuff again ahaha, so i was like.. calm down silly pants mcgee

i do like the description of the spider totem, i love totems... so interesting :)

When you see your totem try to remember every detail of its appearing to you, everything about it is a message, from your numbers to the smallest detail of its physical form and behavior. This is how nature communicates with us. Of course, taking things too far is a bit psychotic or schitzophrenic but the difference lays in the shaman going this far and then healing instead of remaining in the illusions. We can then interpret the messages with clarity.

Also, i believe a common misconception is that we get given a totem or three and that is all for our lives. My source says the totem changes as needed and as we grow. Any animal which presents itself in an unusual way, so as to get our attention, this is a possible totem with a message from nature. There should be and accompanying odd event of lesser importance to agree with the omen, this is how one knows for sure.
Believe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TBZnvyGwQlieve

agreed for sure, I think there are certain animals in our totems that tend to stay with us throughout our lives (like mine would be cat and wolf and maybe snake) but i completely agree in that different animals totems will show up randomly throughout our years to show us something we might be missing/teach us a lesson or what have you...

The owl showed up for me late fall/winter last year.. it followed me for months, right after i learned about all this indigo stuff and started talking to people and then i saw the owl everywhere... i read that it signified intuition and deep wisdom and ability to see beyond and that confused me cause i see so many things sometimes its hard to decipher through the alternate paths to find the "right" one for me, but its signifying change (death/rebirth-the cycles) was very accurate for me... i (without realizing) started to let go of something i had held onto for over a decade and let myself open up to something else, the change.

It was also the time of seeing the owl that i saw synchronistic event after event and i could see the different pathways through the "veil" the most clearly... the owl is starting to fade as well as the seeing of the paths, but im sure there is just a new animal out there now teaching me a new lesson ;)

I met an elder from the Nakota tribe (my people) years ago working in camp. She did a smudging ritual for me to reveal my totem. That night wolves came underneath my rooms window, i didnt hear a thing, she pointed out the tracks in the morning. We talked extensively and she gave me a complete collection of ritual herbs, and informed me that i was also an elder, which i didnt believe until another completely separate person said the same thing.

I think you are an elder in your own way too. Its in the way you conduct yourself, in the way you have understandings, the things you do and the way you express yourself that brings harmony to others.

Thank you, i am grateful for your presence.
Believe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TBZnvyGwQlieve

I find Spider to be a fascinating teacher...traditionally, in the northern way, edderkopp was the attributed to the Weaver of Fates....akin to the Norns in greek mythos. Spider teaches about the warp and weft of our world, patience and observation, as well as methods of truthsaying...a way to untangle the web of words woven by others. I find Spider to be a complement to Wolf in many things, for Wolf's way also focuses on observation and cunning...

I think it is interesting, once you start to realize that animal aspects influence most people, to talk with different people and observe which animal totems and elements are strong with them...I have met people from across the spectrum, and it is interesting to see how close my intuition is to some of the different reference works there are when it comes to people...I think cultivating that knowledge is a very good thing, because learning how the spirits/elements influence a person's persona can help tremendously in communication :)

I'm a Raccoon and Bear.
I've always had the need to touch on things, I simply NEED to touch the supply before I actually buy it, my mum always told me when I was little not to touch things in stores, "watch but not touch" she always said, but that was nearly impossible for me and still I MUST touch it!
I have also found myself lying without any reason which I'm so good at I haven't noticed myself, it comes natural to me... :/

CatDeerDogLadybugOctopusSnakeSwanWolf[QUOTE=MagdaleneGraceMae;43077]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Spirit Guides and Totem Animals Some people are unaware of their guides, or don't have a specific one. There are many different animals that you can call upon. Once you do this more often, you will find yourself befriending a certain one. Usually this animal is one that is most like yourself. Here are some things you should look at when finding your spirit guide... ~~~What animal are you most drawn or attracted to? When you go to the zoo, what is the first animal that you want to see? ~~~What animals do you dream about? If there is a specific animal that you have dreams about all the time, this is probably a guide that is already there for you, and speaks to you through your dreams. ~~~Animals you can relate to. Is there a certain animal that you think has a personality like your own? Are you like a dolphin because you are extremely playful and good hearted? Are you like a dog because you are a good and loyal friend? ~~Animals that are the opposite of you. I say this because if you need help in something you may have to call on an animal that has none of your qualities. Maybe you are depressed and need to call on that dolphin to help make you happy. Maybe you befriend people too easily and need an owl to open your eyes and see that many of these people are betraying you. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What is a Spirit Guide? A spirit guide is one who helps you through the trials of life and helps you learn the lessons that these trials teach. Often, ones Spirit Guide represents different aspects of themselves. A spirit Guide can be somone from your past who cared about you, or someone who owes you a sort of karmic retribution for somthing in the past. They can also be spirits sent by the Divine to help you in times when you need it. A Spirit Guide may stay with you your whole life, or it may not. You may have several or only one. This will depend on the lessons you must learn and the trials you face in life. I have found, that, on average, people have about four spirit guides. One for each aspect of themselves: emotional, mental, spiritual, and physical. Somtimes people have more to represent sub selves like the love self, the working self, the careing self etc. All this will depend on you. There are several ways to discover who your spirit guide is. Most guides want you to discover them. There are also several different ways of working with a guide. You just have to do what feels 'right'. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What is a Totem Animal? Unlike a Spirit Guide, I see a Totem Animal as a guide who will be with you your whole life. A Totem Animal is the one who presents life's challenges. This is what gives one their personality, characteristics and level of understanding. They don't nessecarily guide you, but they present that which you must learn, then help you deal with the results of just how you decided to deal with the problem. You can have many different Totem Animals. I find that people generally have about 6. Perhaps it is one to signify each of the elements in your life, perhaps it is just to represent the six stages of your life. I have found that everyone has at least one 'main' totem animal which travels with them their whole life, a hidden totem animal, and several totems to help them through different parts of their life. One's main totem is the animal which travels with them their whole life. It is the one which most influences them and their personality. This totem usually appears when one is very young and stays with them until they pass on. These totems will usually make themselves known to those around the person whom they represent. One's hidden totem represents the inner aspects of their personality. A hidden totem might be considered the 'dark' side of ones personality. This totem animal often remains within a person, influencing their subconscious decisions and personality. Often these totems remain hidden from everyone around the person and will only show themselves if the time is just right, or the situaltion needs it. There are several ways to find your totem animal. They also have different base meaning. None are all 'positive' and none are all 'negative'. They are niether and both. All have advantages and disadvantages, don't let the meaning of the totem animal prompt you to choose one, you don't choose your animal, it chooses you. ~~~~~~ The Difference Between a Spirit Guide and a Totem Animal A Spirit Guide is just that, one who guides your spirit. A Totem Animal will influence how you deal with the information you Spirit Guide gives you. A Spirit Guide helps you make decisions and will give you advice. A Totem Animal will throw tests at you then help you deal with the results of that test. So, one starts the trials in your life so that you may learn, the other helps you through that trial. Often the two will work together, but they can also be opposing forces. Although you may think that they know everything (and somtimes they like you to believe that they do), they don't. They can only see what is presented to them, just like you. However, they can help you make decisions and give advice. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Animal Correspondences The characteristics of a specific animal are often rubbed off on those who have it as a totem. We often harness the natural power and energy of our totem. This energy may come in many forms, but is often closely associated with the attitude and habitat of the animal itself. The relationship you have with your totem also depends on its energies and attitude. Relationships with your totem animals are strongly based on the emotional, spirituality, physicality, and psychological characteristics of the animal you are dealing with. Alligator-- Rough, stern, stealthy, basic survival Ant-- Order, patience, hard work, team effort. Antelope-- Graceful, speed, quick to start, jumpy, easily startled Badger-- Does not relate well to others, self-reliant, a teacher rather than a student, has earth knowledge Bat-- Initiation into magickal practices, long lived, facer of fears, finder of hidden messages, divination Bear-- Introspection, inner strength, protective of their young, thought of as wise and gentle, keeper of hidden wisdom Beaver-- A builder, talkative, likes structure and building, story teller, short lived, makes dreams a reality Bee-- Hard working, social, follower, communittee oriented, can be obsessive Beetle-- Purpose, innocence Bird (general)-- Needs freedom, unity of fellow creatures, open minded, can be overbearing in beliefs and views Bobcat-- Solitary, has spiritual force residing within them, will often carry the burden, manifestation of power and control Buffalo-- Healing, good fortune, abundance, slow witted but kind, easily persuaded, keeper of medicine Bull-- Insight into the past, might rush into parenthood and family, ill-prepared, fertile Butterfly-- Transformation, accepting of others, graceful, indecisive, likes to be noticed and stand out in a crowd Caribou-- Traveler, mobile, can adapt to surroundings, prefers to keep moving and have freedom Cat-- Curiosity, many lives, cleverness, unpredictability, healing and witchcraft since in ancient times it was believed that witches took the form of their cats at night. Centipede-- Awareness Cockroach-- Reproduction, long lasting Cougar-- Leadership, physical strength, quick tempered, quick witted, agressive, keeper of inner strength, will be quick to anger and slow to forgive Coyote-- Humorous, tricky, looks out for itself, willing to laugh at itself, committed, scavenger, keeper of magick Crane-- Royalty, proud, balance, inner meditation, lucky, likes movement and travel Crow-- Resourceful, greedy, tolerated, loud, willing to council others, opinionated Deer-- Gentle, sensitive, generally peaceful, passive, slow reactions, easily startled Deer-- Teaches us to understand our emotions, to understand the physical and the spiritual. Dog-- Faithful, inner loyalty to a fault, make good friends and family, will protect those they care for Dolphin-- Harmony, joyful, swift, passionate, meditative, likes company, keeper of self Dragonfly-- Restless, refined, ever moving, skilled, acrobatic persoanlity Eagle-- Illumination, majesty, adeptness, potency, power through knowledge, often arrogant and self assured Elephant-- Long lived, doesnt listen to insults, tough and agressive, strong but peaceful Elk-- Pride, beauty, ageless wisdom, keeper of the forest Fish-- Agile, mobile, sly, generally open minded, but quick to change its mind Fox-- Clever, subtle, agile, swift, uses discretion, not outgoing, willing to hide Frog-- Growth, inner child, clensing, emotional healing, poor judgement of character Giraffe-- strength, flexibility, link to higher and lower worlds, silent reflections Goat-- Dilligence, willing to work to the top, unbending, no foresight Goose-- Love of home, returns to place of belonging, friendly and caring, ever searching Gorilla-- Powerful, wise, inner sadness and emotional self, represents those who keep peace through agreesion Hawk-- Awareness, inner truth and contemplation, hidden talents, a watcher Hedgehog-- Defensive, self preservation, abrasive personality, loner Horse-- Loyal, inner power, freedom, safety in movement, beauty through strength Hummingbird-- Agile, quick movements, easily distracted, abundance of energy, often has a sweet tooth Ladybug-- Good luck, money, a job Lizard-- Relaxed, knows when to back off, hidden defenses, elusiveness Lion-- Strength, pride, agile, family motivated, willing to sacrifce self for others, strong channeling energies Loon-- Serenity, good communicator, judgemental and uncaring Manitee-- Slow but graceful mover, control of elements and though, open experience and destiny Moose-- Unpredictable, slow to temper, stands up for what they believe in, abrasive Mouse-- Hidden emotions and movements, illusive, charming, prepared, knows when to run away Nightengale-- Soft tempered, good speaker, smooth movement and voice, keeper of the night Octopus-- Multifacited, skilled in many things, like to know everything, can be overbearing and controling Otter-- Playful, joyful nature, likes games of all sorts, bring laughter whereveer they go Owl-- Insight into the unknown, clear vision, can see all influences around them, hidden hunter Panther-- Hidden emotions, silent thought, careful decisions, quick movemnts, stealthy Penguin-- Family oriented, emotionally cold exterior, non-expressive, adaptive to many environments Prairie Dog-- Swift, industrious, readiness, doesnt like cold, builder Porqupine-- Knows humility, inner innocence, appears to be scared and defensive, kind private nature Potato Bug-- Childhood Quail-- Works best in a group, creates harmony and group tolerance, protective, likes children Rabbit-- Safety in numbers, needs to conquer fears, quick minded, emotional, physically weak Racoon-- Borrower of skills and items, hidden enemies, hidden skills, lurker, mischief maker Rat-- Can adapt to anything, quick witted and hard working, scavenging when needed, likes luxury Raven-- Mysterious, ingenuity, distant watcher, keeper of the unknown Rooster-- Vain, likes gifts and attention, early to rise, will go after the best Salmon-- Determined, persistant, strength through desire, trusting but not trust-worthy Scorpion-- Strength, depth, survival Seagull-- Versitile, loud, abnoxious, carefree, inventive but lazy, open minded Seal-- Contentment, peaceful, over-emotional, playful but hard worker Skunk-- Wanring, dangerous, misunderstood, respectful and worthy of respect, carefully judgemental Snail-- Perserverance, although stern and cold on the outside has a soft hearted nature Snake-- Sexually potent, solitary but likes pleasing others, inner power through passion, keeper of the life force Spider-- Teacher, story teller, trickster Squirrel-- Thrifty, well prepared for any disaster, trust worthy, knows how to survive Swan-- Beauty, elegance, nurturing nature and open heart, sense of calmness and inner retrospection Tiger-- Mothering nature, Strength through determination and inner power, fickle personality Turtle-- Protection, love of life and nature, healing powers, inner knowledge and thought Walrus-- Trickster, loner, likes to be an individual, has little respect for life and others, vain Whale-- Intuitive, wise, graceful, inner beauty, communittee preservation, gentle but will attack when provoked Wolf-- Teacher of skills, loyalty, independant but likes others, strong willed, easy to anger, holds a grudge Yak-- Ancient wisdom, higher being and understanding, self doubt, lack of emotional control Zebra-- Indecisive, hidden aspects, confuses others, can be emotionally up or down rarely in between ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Birds and their Magical Meanings Blackbird = Omens and mysticism, color of fear and promise Bluebird = Happiness and fulfillment, color of north or east Canary = Healing power of sound, heightened sensitivity Catbird = Communication potential, new lessons or opportunities Chickadee = Sacred number is seven, seeker of truth and knowledge Crow = Intelligence, watchfulness, magical, past-life connections Duck = Maternal, graceful and comforting, protective Eagle = Capable of reaching zenith, great perception, bridging worlds Finch = New experiences and encounters, wide range summer soltice Goose = Story telling, fertility and fidelity, symbol of eight and infinity Grosbeak = Heals old wounds, family values, past loves significance Hawks = Primal life force, fulfillment, spring and fall equinoxes Kingfisher = Halcyon days, peace and prosperity, linked to north, blue Loon = Realizing dreams, haunting and eery song, imagination Magpie = Occult knowledge, doorway to new realms. wily and willful Meadowlark = Cheerfulness, sublimation, inner journey, linked to moon Nuthatch = Applying wisdom to natural world, groundedness, ethereal Oriole = Positive energy, reconnecting with inner sunshine, nature spirits Owl = Silent wisdom and nocturnal vision, healing powers, magical Peacock = Wisdom and vision, ostentatious, protective and powerful Pelican = Self-sacrificing, non-competitive, buoyant, rising above trials Pigeon = Love and security of home, fertility, archetypal energies Raven = Shapeshifting, messenger or omen, blending human and animal Robin = New growth, territorial, color link to throat center Starling = Sociable, communicating diversity, forceful Stork = Related to humanity, connected to emotions, water, birth process Swan = Sensitive, emotional, dreamer and mystic, longevity Swift = Feminine and psychic energies, speed and agility Turkey = Spiritual connection to Earth Mother, shared blessings Vulture = Purification, never-ending vigilance, guardian of mysteries Woodpecker = Weather prophet, drumbeats into other dimension [/QUOTE]

Spider is Grandmother Spider or Spider Woman in Navajo/Din'e and Hopi traditions. My great uncle always called me Little Spider because i was always knitting as a kid and still do. In fact, all I knit are lace shawls which look like spider webs...and socks.

Crow is my familiar for now. i am not saying i am a crow, but i can be hahahahaha.

I love animals so much and had an interests in totem animals. I seem to have a strong connection to animals people class as pest. Have had very good relationships with rats and pigeons, i do find crows fascinating as well. I also have a strong connection with sheep and feel they are very much misunderstood as stupid. I do believe this all has a connection with how my life is, i try to stick up for the under dog in the word.

I have always been drawn to certain animals, yet was never clear on which was my spirit animal. I meditated a number of times before I got any answers and still don't have them all. My main guide seems to be a black horse, it was shown as a reflection of me. I asked each animal I saw if the were my spirit guide in one of my meditations and got some interesting reactions. The hawk landed on my arm, allowed me to pet it when asked but when asked if it was spirit guide it bit my arm and flew away. The bear reacted almost them same except when asked, it just turned its head and ambled away. The cougar, came to me, and did the lazy cat stretch, rub against my leg, allowed me to pet him and purred, but when asked he flicked his tail and went to sleep. Many other animals showed themselves to me, but not one of them came close to me or showed any interest.

If I am to be drawn to a painting, picture or even at the zoo. The animals that hold the most interest for me are:
cougar, bear ( especially polar bears), wolves, eagles and gorillas, and of course horses. I have always had horses around and have been accused of being completely horse crazy( now I know why :) )

Garden elf wrote:I have always been drawn to certain animals, yet was never clear on which was my spirit animal. I meditated a number of times before I got any answers and still don't have them all. My main guide seems to be a black horse, it was shown as a reflection of me. I asked each animal I saw if the were my spirit guide in one of my meditations and got some interesting reactions. The hawk landed on my arm, allowed me to pet it when asked but when asked if it was spirit guide it bit my arm and flew away. The bear reacted almost them same except when asked, it just turned its head and ambled away. The cougar, came to me, and did the lazy cat stretch, rub against my leg, allowed me to pet him and purred, but when asked he flicked his tail and went to sleep. Many other animals showed themselves to me, but not one of them came close to me or showed any interest.

If I am to be drawn to a painting, picture or even at the zoo. The animals that hold the most interest for me are:
cougar, bear ( especially polar bears), wolves, eagles and gorillas, and of course horses. I have always had horses around and have been accused of being completely horse crazy( now I know why :) )
Oh I'm very drawn to horses.

Over the years, my main totem has remained the fox. Whenever I have meditated to see, I would reach out to touch it and it would jump at me, turning into energy and flowing into me when I asked if it was my totem.

There's always a few power animals,they're animal totems,but they're always with you..usually more visible when you're aware of what you're learning from them and there's also other animal totems that can come to one in dreams,tend to come and go to learn how the anima(s) are trying to help you specifically.Cause each of them have their own traits,and messages they're sending and that's what one needs to pay attention too..

today
is not the day.
soon
l will go somewhere
somewhere l don't know
in between
and find him
again
in a new skin
with furry changes
and we will know
it will be good
but not today;
the wind
is from the East,
not today...
BUY:- "ADVENTURES ON THE ASTRAL PLANE" NOW ON AMAZON KINDLE.
EDITED AND ADDED-TO. YOURS TO KEEP AND ENJOY.

FORGET WHAT YOU WANT?
GET RID OF WHAT YOU NEED.
FRESH AIR AND SUNSHINE
WORKS FOR ALL TREES

HI.

I write about power animals, what happens is I see or hear of a particular animal, could be on the T.V. in a magazine anything....I keep seeing or hearing about this animal until I write the message :) The factual information I download from whatever source I am drawn to but the animal message just flows onto the page without any effort on my part.

Spirit uses all sorts of mediums to communicate with us, including animals. Is there good or bad animals? I don't believe there is, I just think the traits of the animals match with our own image of ourselves. Even the ones we fear have some kind of message for us.

LOve cheeneka x

cheeneka wrote:HI.

I write about power animals, what happens is I see or hear of a particular animal, could be on the T.V. in a magazine anything....I keep seeing or hearing about this animal until I write the message :) The factual information I download from whatever source I am drawn to but the animal message just flows onto the page without any effort on my part.

Spirit uses all sorts of mediums to communicate with us, including animals. Is there good or bad animals? I don't believe there is, I just think the traits of the animals match with our own image of ourselves. Even the ones we fear have some kind of message for us.

LOve cheeneka x
Crows... they show themselves very often...they'll fly across in front of me, usually telling me about something significant that is going to happen.

Falcons, I haven't seen them in a while, but I believe I use to see them more often than an average person would usually see them.

AllSeer wrote:Crows... they show themselves very often...they'll fly across in front of me, usually telling me about something significant that is going to happen.

Falcons, I haven't seen them in a while, but I believe I use to see them more often than an average person would usually see them.
Hi

I posted the crow about two weeks ago. I see lots of them in my back Garden everyday. I don't think I have ever seen a Falcon. Lucky you :)

LOve cheeneka x

Re: Animal Totems?

yep, nice and curious.
In reality all dogs behave friendly with me, even the biggest ones (which I like the most, actually, lol), in my dreams I often become an eagle. Usually I find myself standing on the edge of a tall building, the wind blowing in my hair, and a mission in my head. Then I rush to the edge, jump in the air and spread my wings. It always feels so familiar, so nice, so right, as if I have been doing that my whole life.
Does this mean these ones may be 2 of my animal totems?

Inluxtris wrote:yep, nice and curious.
In reality all dogs behave friendly with me, even the biggest ones (which I like the most, actually, lol), in my dreams I often become an eagle. Usually I find myself standing on the edge of a tall building, the wind blowing in my hair, and a mission in my head. Then I rush to the edge, jump in the air and spread my wings. It always feels so familiar, so nice, so right, as if I have been doing that my whole life.
Does this mean these ones may be 2 of my animal totems?
Interesting. Do you know what your mission  is ? Dogs symbolize faithfulness, justice and staying vigilant against evil. Eagle represents higher spirituality and being able to perceive the biggest picture, flying high and accessing places unreachable by many. It seems very likely these are your Totem animals. Usually they are the ones frequently appearing in our physical lives, and those visiting us in our dreams.

Close people around me claim I make them feel better, stronger and motivated. I've accepted that as a part of my mission cause it also comes naturally to me.
As for the qualities you mention, connected with these two animals, I often experience them as well, as a part of my character. Still I guess I need a lot more to learn and improve to acquire them at a full length.
And thanks for the info. I didn't know about the dog's characteristic as 'staying vigilant against evil'. Pretty intriguing.

Return to “The Living Earth”