vinden i nord

This is something I have held my tongue about for awhile, but I feel it is proper to address it now
so that the way forward may be clear and clean
and there are no questions

I have, for most of my life, followed what I know as the Northern Way.....I practice seiðr and work with the futhark.....
I am aware of stone and their uses, I gather them and carry them with me that they may open the way forward and help with my walk through life
I am aware of the elements of this Sphere of Reality, the primal Jord(earth), the brisk Luft(air), the blazing Brann(Fire), and the soothing Van(water) and I honor their workings and influences in my life
I see the natural world, and I am grateful for this....it is a gift of the Universe to be here and see this, and the Æsir did well in showing us how to to life and grow
I see people, and I accept them from wherever they may hail....because in truth, we are all connected at source, ergo the concept that one human being could be valued as more or less than another is rather ridiculous to me.....we are each here, for better or worse, experiencing life as it is....it is not always good, and we do not always do good with it...there are plenty of people who would rather lie, cheat, and steal their way through this life....they are not interested in becoming more, they are interested simply in acquisition....
And too there are people who are sadistic, and masochistic....
there are people who choose to do some of the most horrendous things imaginable, and laugh their way through them.....
and the truth is, that has always been that way...because we are gifted thus: we have free will and the responsibility that comes with it
some of us choose to shirk that responsibility, and work only for ourselves....and I truly feel for these people, because they have become hardened and bitter in this life, and they have chosen to turn whatever source of pain that caused this away in the most extreme way possible...by severing the concept of community and ties to others.....
Now, I will say, I support the idea of doing well for oneself....because that is important, no one is going to necessarily be there to carry you through life and you should not impose that burden on another
but I say you should balance doing well for yourself by ensuring that those around you are also doing well....working together, giving the time and consideration to our fellow humans, it does not mean handouts and charity......but it can mean taking the time to stop and say hello, and listen to someone's issue...you may not be able to help fix it, it may be simply an issue of their own making, but by taking a moment to care for another you are giving far more than you know already....
This is how I have lived my life thus far, and how I intend to continue living it, because it is what I will to do
If I can help, I will
If I can make a difference, I will
If, through the course of that, goodwill follows to me then that is good....if not that is fine too, because I do not do as I do simply for reward
for me, the reward is truly the act of doing......when other will not, or perhaps can not...
I do as I do because most times I can sympathize with a situation, I have been through many unpleasant situations that have been of my own making
but I have weathered them, and I am still here....and If I can help another through theirs, then why not?
Some may think this foolish, and duly so there are plenty whom have taken advantage of it....but typically, I am on to them far sooner than they suspect, and I let them take anyway...because I know that in the end, they will face a situation in time that will likely put them at the other side of that choice.....because we know when we do wrong, we know when we harm another, we can justify it with words or exclaim that we do not care as loudly or brazenly as we might want, but deep inside, we know......and we must face that
because to carry forward in life one has to have more than just tenacity or strength, one must have love to drive themselves along....even if it is love twisted to hatred, the truth is inside there and we know it, though we do not wish to face it....
this is the scope of our lives, as we walk along and make our choices
and in all of that, I do not understand a few things
Why does having pride in whom I am, and whom MY ancestors were seem to imply, to some, that it must denigrate who they are or where they come from?
Because ever single descendant of the north HAS to be automatically presumed to be intolerant?
that is ridiculous, and let me tell you why...
When the tribes of old in the north set out to explore and venture for wealth (go on a-viking) in Europe, it did not take long for them to run across the Britons, or the Normans, or the Angles, or the Germanic peoples, or the Cossack peoples, or the Slavic peoples, or any of the other peoples of the world
and of course there was conflict, and much harm done all around, from one to another, because in those times we were much less civilized even than we are now (though at times I would question that)....
But if you look, historically, you will see something else.....people of the north were out on the move for venture and gain, but they tended to settle and amalgamate with the peoples where they settled.....which is why there are Northern folk in every Scottish, Irish, English, Welsh, and so forth family tree....and it does not stop there, because we were in the new world long before the Portuguese or Spaniards came here, and guess what...we stayed and settled....and so forth.....
Which is why it irritates me to no end to see these people who have twisted the concept of pride in their ancestry to mean hatred of another
No northern person, worth their salt and with a level head, should think this is acceptable...look again at out mythos
The Æsir were not given to worry about such things, for they joined with the Vanir...who were not of the same "race" as the Æsir...
And too, they took among them wife of Jotuns, giants....from Jotunheim......again, not the same "race" nor even presumably the same "species"......
and correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall reading anywhere in any of the legends (and granted, I do believe they have been skewed by others over time, but whatever) that Asgard was meant for one particular type of human.....it was the land of mankind.....people......as in, all of us

And that is if you wish to take the mythos literally, which I grant that some do..

But for myself, I would say this.............I think the lesson that was most impressed upon me by the tales my grandmother told me of our heritage would have to be that we were ever-adaptable, ever-changing, ever-seeking people.......now again, we were Sámi so perhaps that makes for a difference....but I think not so much, I think the evidence we see today would point more solidly towards the idea that what I am saying rang true with most of my kinsfolk than not...

Now, again, I must say to the other side of the coin too....granted, there are a lot of reasons for some of the prejudices that exist in this world....because, I am sorry to say, people tend to flock to their own first and tend to act in accordance with supposed "social" trends and so on.....and I realize there are plenty of other people out there who do not have the ability to accept people as people, and that is their prerogative....

But I do not understand the concept that says it is acceptable to have hatred of another human without at least learning ABOUT that specific human being first......

I do not understand the concept that says it is right to slaughter one another because of anything written in any book....I am sorry, but that is lunacy....and any deity that would charge you to spread death and intolerance is, in my opinion, not worthy of veneration by any sane, logical, human being....period...

I do not understand the concept that says it is okay to act as though this world and it's people are indebted to you and that it is someone else's responsibility to look after your well being before it is your own....I am sorry, you are delusional in my opinion if you believe that does not start and end with you....and as long as you have two feet, two hands, and/or are able to move about then there is absolutely no reason why your well-being and your care should not first be in YOUR hands before another's.......and do not confuse what I am saying by trying to bring infants into it, because I am sorry but our young cannot survive on their own in this world, so that is simply ridiculous......a child is a responsibility of both parent's, and logically even if there is disdain between the parents of the child they should at least have the self-respect and ethics to put that to the side in the face of caring for the child....if you cannot care for a child, then there are others whom will.....but you should probably not have additional children....and likewise, I do not understand the concept that says it is okay to use a child as leverage or a weapon in an argument with a former partner....to me, that is deeply troubling.....and utterly selfish...

I do not understand many of these things, and I probably will not be able to because in my mind the answers to these types of things boil down to simple facts:

1) you probably do not see yourself as clearly as you think or espouse
2) if you find yourself in a predicament that is unpleasant it is likely a choice you yourself have made
3) if you find yourself in the repetition of an unpleasant predicament, then there is a lesson you have not learned yet
4) the moment you truly think you have it all figured out is the moment you should be looking at all of the different aspects of whatever "it" is, because I guarantee you, no matter how objective you may think you are, you missed something
5) you are allowed to make mistakes, but if you continue to repeat said mistakes then you must accept the outcome of that...to expect otherwise is tantamount to insanity (see #3)

There is so much more, and I will add to this.....but this is a good start, I think......

Bravo. And Beautifully expressed.

We might be related ;)

For the North, I think there are some cheap easy stereotypes there that people associate with norse mythology and vikings, and what they remember is the drama and struggles. Most peoples have some kind of cheap-stereotype aothers assume onto them. It stems from ignorance and lack of familiarity and can be countered by exposure and enlightenment.

The ones who went on sailing raids and trades eventually settled among the neighboring peoples and intermingled.

The ones who are the North folk today were perhaps descended from the stay-at-home ones who weren't raiders and travelers and didn't fit the viking stereotype.

Thank you for helping me contemplate the norse in new light

Return to “General Religion”