Article: Why Is The Term "New Age" So Confusing?

Why Is The Term "New Age" So Confusing?
by Jason Randhawa

The New Age movement can be so mysterious. It is such a broad, free-flowing movement that two people could belong to it and have some completely opposite beliefs, ideas, and practices. As I have said before, new age has absolutely no central geographic location, sacred text, dogma, creed etc…

Within the new age movement, there are very few guidelines and boundaries. There is no membership. Therefore it becomes very difficult to define and measure this movement. Once again, all we can determine is that more and more people are moving towards alternative spirituality/metaphysics.

The greatest confusion surrounding new age is that the term "new age" can refer to many different topics including:

New Age People - People who are considered to be a part of the new age movement (also called "New Agers")

New Age Time Period - A prophesized period of time in the near future when most people in the world will become spiritually awakened and will have access to their inherent abilities

New Age Spirituality - The belief system and practices of new age people

New Age Movement - The movement of people towards personal/spiritual growth

A brief description is given above, but we will go into further detail on each of the above topics in this report.

Now, as you can see, the term "new age" can become very confusing and complicated. But, each of the subjects that fall under the category "new age" is interrelated to the new age movement.

Are New Agers The Cause of All This Confusion?

New Agers have caused much of the confusion surrounding "New Age". Although this is done totally unintentionally, because most new age people do not even know what new age is. Even I don't fully know what it is. Since nobody speaks for it and there is no way to define it, you can not really fully know what New Age means.

New Age is something that each person can only define for himself or herself. He/She can then share their definition with others, in hopes that those other people will be able to formulate their own definition and idea as to what new age means to them.

Most New Agers identify with other religions, but incorporate new age concepts into their faith. This is one of the main purposes of new age, as it is the first step towards Universal Religion.

New Age Criticism

New Age has faced some harsh criticism from many people and organizations. The main reasons for this are because it is such a broad movement.

It can be so open-minded that sometimes people that belong to this movement can have contradicting beliefs and practices. When other people see this, they don't understand it, and therefore they publicly criticize it.

"In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory." - Alfred North Whitehead

All of the criticism that has been given to the new age movement was the result of a misunderstanding. I would like to clear up some of the bigger misunderstandings now…

New Age has been dismissed as Sufism. Actually, Sufism has been a historically established mystical movement within Islam. New Age has basically no connection with it.

Some Conservative Christians view New Age as a form of Satanism (which is known for performing horrendous acts). In reality, no connection exists. New Age is all about love, help, support, and progress.

Also some Conservative Christians have claimed that there is some massive, underground highly organized New Age organization. They claim that this organization is infiltrating the government, churches, schools and media. But, in reality no such thing exists.

I could keep going on for a while, but I think you get the point. Pay no attention to what other people say or think, for you are the only one you have to count on.

"All great truths begin as blasphemies." – George Bernard Shaw

Jason Randhawa from What-Is-Metaphysics.com is the author of "New Age 101." Jason is a fellow spiritual seeker, who has found his place within the New Age Movement. You can download his report: New Age 101 for free here: https://www.whatismetaphysics.com/newage101 *

[QUOTE=prometheus;3784]New Age is something that each person can only define for himself or herself. He/She can then share their definition with others, in hopes that those other people will be able to formulate their own definition and idea as to what new age means to them.[/QUOTE]

I take my own definition from Lee Carrol as seen in https://indigosociety.com/-t79.html#post406

Much Love, Helder

Return to “New Age”