Cybernetics & Entheogenics: From Cyberspace to Neurospace

https://hermetic.com/bey/pw-neurospc.html
[center][font=lucida sans unicode]Lecture by Peter Lamborn Wilson[/font][/center]

[center][font=lucida sans unicode]Held during the "Next Five Minutes" Conference on Tactical Media Amsterdam, January 19, 1996[/font][/center]

[justify][font=lucida sans unicode]The term "Neurospace" I learned from the Kiev artist Vlad Muzesky, through Geert Lovink. What I immediately thought he meant by it was a comparison of that space which is posited as belonging to the computer with the neural space or the inner-body experience, that comes, for most of us, largely through psychedelic drugs—neurospace as the space of hallucinations, for example. I would like to compare and contrast, as they used to say in school, cyberspace and neurospace. There are similarities and differences.[/font][/justify]
[justify][font=lucida sans unicode]I remember some years ago, when virtual reality suddenly appeared with a big whizbang on the scene, going to a conference in New York where Timothy Leary, God bless him, appeared with Jaron Lanier and couple of other cybernauts. Tim was wearing the goggles, he was on stage and he said, "Oooh, I have been here before." So right from the start there was this connection set up between virtual reality and the LSD experience—or as some us prefer to call it "the entheogenic experience," which is just a fancy way of not using the word psychedelic because it alerts the police. Actually, "entheogenic" means the birth of the "Divine Within." I am able to use this term that is meaningful for me even though I am not a theist in the strict sense of the word. I don't think you have to believe in God to understand that there can be an experience of the Divine Becoming Within.[/font][/justify]

Re: Cybernetics & Entheogenics: From Cyberspace to Neurospace

I found this article pretty interesting. :)
Have read that the viking beserkers were taking a hallucinogen to make them act so animal like during battle.
However, that's apparently debated about too.
The CIA attempted to monopolize LSD, to control its distribution, they funded virtually every research project. They were interested in brainwashing. The sixties owe just as much to the CIA as they do to the Learies and the hippies. There was this complex web of good and evil, smart and stupid, all in mix of smoke—fractal patterns influencing each other, in which every jewel reflects every other jewel. That is the secret history of the sixties.
This part ties in nicely with the whole mind control topic that people discuss a lot on forums these days.
"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."

As a result of this entire new relationship, of this novelty, there will be an entirely new interpretation of the psychedelic plant. The entheogenic, magic plant will now emerge in a religious context—whereas before it might only have been a question of the individual knowledge of an individual gatherer. Now, suddenly, there has to be a cult of the entheogenic plant. Because agriculture is so traumatic for human society, it necessitates having a living, shamanic, magical relationship with plants. Before, plants were like other beings, now they are strange spirits that grow in the forest. Actually, one anthropologist wrote a fascinating book on tobacco as a psychedelic plant in South America: the very first agriculture would have been the growing of psychoactive plants, and that's why human beings might even become farmers, to ensure a nice supply of tobacco or mushrooms or whatever. A friend of mine once said, "Yeah, everything is psychotropic." Any substance that you can take into your body will bring about a transmutation. I don't care if it's water, food, air—it's all transformation through substance.

=)

many good things in this article =)

At some point i wondered is the whole lsd ban and classfication as restricted use drug is more to avoid it's recreational use, or more that the CIA was somehow afraid of the use that some people could do of it it's use was not somehow restricted, and if anyone could just make some kind of lsd therapy market , or in cults, or all kind of organisation, the cia had lot of interest in lsd, not sure they really did what they wanted with it, but they knew it was very potent substence.

There are many history that cia used lsd to make people 'go crazy' in public place, or manipulate them in a sense of panic, or pushing them to suicide, or to do crazy things, they knew lsd was very potent to alter mind of people, and could result in log lasting change even after one sessions. They had lot of success curing alcoholism or many issue of depression with supposedly single take of lsd or other. Many psychedelics drugs such as ketamine also are supposed to be potent to heal many things very quickly, and to transform people.

The whole relation with virtual reality is where you can see experience of certain 'realities' are known to be able to trigger long lasting change in persons through the psychedelic experience, making the experience of 'other realities', 'other dimension', 'astral plane', with the vritual reality revolution you can basically recreate this psychedelic experience in a synthetic manner with a computer.

Well not sure how far we can be told to be in this today, i tried occulus thing seriously it's cool. Bluffing sensation, when you see the old school thing of brainwashing with screen in front of eyes like in street fight with blanka thing, the occulus it's like x100 =) 

And it's clear experience of virtual world can also impact all kind of neural pattern, and shape the 'neuro space' just as much as a psychedelic experience could do =) 

It's what always attracted me to virtual realities and computers originally, in ghost in the shell they also play a lot around this topics of cyber pace, and the 'ghost', and how much of a soul can be represented through an interface or a language in the cyber space. 

How easy it would be for an artificial/synthetic program to 'fake' a person. 

When you consider the egyptian belief in the 'Ba' , and how tombs and pyramid filled with hieroglyph were supposed to somehow 'encode' the spirit of the defunct person, and providing ability to restore it's spirit through ceremonies associated with this.

Viritual realities can be very potent for spiritual experience and they use more and more 'serious game' in all kind of therapy, and probably military training program like avatar or drone stuff like pacific rim idk =)

like the whole principle of simulation that is all in the two last movie of tom cruise pacific rim & edge of tomorow, and how experience of something even if ultimately it's 'vritual' or 'not real' like a video game, a trip, an hallucination, a perception of world that is not the material world, can still impact the mind and being powerful experiences.

In hinduism there is a whole thing around the 'maya' or something which is the whole illusion/game in which we leave, and that in a certain state of the learning, one need to consider that all this is still existing, it has a good reason to exist and for you to percieve it the way you percieve it, even if it's still an illusion, it's still an usefull illusion like educative fiction, or a pychedelic trip can be seen in this manner to. It's experiencing different realities and often it can give insight that you couldn't have without experiencing this.

Return to “Psychology & Sociology”