Everyone is disordered.
Common people share the common disorder and think they are normal.
Normal is just the majority's way.
That doesnt mean normal is something right or really sane.
Disorder. order its all relative in the end.

i tend to agree. can i ask, why is there a "debate" surrounding it? i dont understand why its even a question whether or not its "real". are they or are they not able to make a diagnosis?

typically it's because it is so rare, that most psychiatrists and psychologists don't feel comfortable diagnosing someone with it. It is also speculated because of the incredibly subjective nature of it, a lot of "diagnoses" can be seen through brain scans, but I don't believe you can see what is happening neurologically unless a personality shift happens at that moment. There is probably a lot of co-morbidity happening, and I think that might be another reason the psych people would have a hard time diagnosing it, especially when considering treatment programs. then you also have the people that might "fake" DID for "attention" which unfortunately does happen a lot. Its probably up there with schizophrenia and borderline in uncomfortableness to diagnose.

Thank you! I was wondering because I have been sooooo skeptikal of people when they say they have it, and i never believed in it. I read a lot about it but I still just thought it was them faking it?
but now the funniest thing is I was just diagnosed with it. I still dont believe it but i saw myself on camera that the dr insisted I take because i argued with him. and I just dont even understand what is wrong with me...SO i went to get 4 "second opinions" and they still same the same thing. Its so annoying because I just dont understand how its possible or why I have to have this. It makes me so angry.

[QUOTE=sail;1068014]Thank you! I was wondering because I have been sooooo skeptikal of people when they say they have it, and i never believed in it. I read a lot about it but I still just thought it was them faking it?
but now the funniest thing is I was just diagnosed with it. I still dont believe it but i saw myself on camera that the dr insisted I take because i argued with him. and I just dont even understand what is wrong with me...SO i went to get 4 "second opinions" and they still same the same thing. Its so annoying because I just dont understand how its possible or why I have to have this. It makes me so angry.[/QUOTE]

It would make sense for you not to realize it. Typically the personalities are unaware of each other, and the shift goes unnoticed by the person (how can one personality be aware that it wasn't functioning a moment ago? As far as the personality knows, its the only one). It typically takes a lot of therapy to not only find the "main" personality but to get the "main" personality to become aware of the other ones. having only a few extra is common (even though the diagnosis itself fairly rare) and having many is even rarer. Once the "main" personality starts to become more aware of the "triggers" that shift the personalities, it will be at least slightly easier to control. the end goal is typically to integrate the personalities. they usually become separated as a result of severe trauma in which the unconscious splits to protect the personality from experiencing the trauma. So working on the source of trauma is also imperative.

Not meaning to make assumptions, just what i remember from my psych classes *hugs*

Thanks Opiumchild, its just unbelievable, and I have such strong doubts...seeing myself on camera, its insane. I just dont believe its really me. A lot in my life makes more sense now but still. I dont even know where to begin with this!

there is nothing wrong with you, if you have it and accept it. accepting it is sometimes the hardest part. but once you do, that's when the healing can occur. maybe keeping footage of yourself throughout the day, like leaving a webcam on or something and seeing if you notice anything unusual. do you have any friends or family who you trust enough to assist you?

There is a DID section on psychforums.com with a lot of people's experiences and knowledge on the subject.

The controversies tend to revolve around repressed memories, amnesiac barriers, and the supposed dodging of responsibilities by the client showing dissociative amnesia and blaming alters for their actions.

You aren't aware of not functioning when another part is in control, unless you are co-hosting (which is like being a passenger in your own body). However, you can suddenly be aware that you are someplace and have no memory of how you got there or what you're doing. That's a pretty good indication that you just switched.

It just occurred to me that it might be a channeling type of thing, if you want to take it to a spiritual type status.

I have seen the topic brought up in other threads but I wasn't paying that much attention, but its been brought to mind.

I deal with PTSD, with dissociation because of my PTSD. Not sure what is causing you to be diagnosed with DID, but it is something to look into regarding the PSTD. I have had multiple different diagnoses over the years, and now it is all narrowed down to PTSD.

Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder and Indigo?

Hello yes there is a bit of a debate about this. About the causes and cures among other things.
The ability to disassociate is not always a symptom of DID.

https://www.myshrink.com/counseling-theory.php?t_id=13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociat ... chology%29

People have been doing it since they lived in caves. It is a natural mechanism of the mind.
Most often used as a defense to trauma. But not always.
Shamans and monks for example go into a trances.Channelers and those that speak in tongues do this in a way too.
There is a lot to this subject. Many subtopics and opinions about them as well.
I found this article this week for example..

https://www.hiddenmysteries.org/conspira ... ildren.pdf

Towards the beginning they talk about how fragmenting the mind may be done on purpose to folks who have a natural ability to disassociate. There's a million opinions about the why and how of these things. But here is as good a starting point to begin the discussion and how it could relate to indigos as any I suppose. It only talks about it in part of that article unfortunately.

Of course...I want to warn that this may end up being like opening a can of worms trying to discuss this.
And that I have not experienced any of the wilder theories out there about this. I just have a few personal experiences with going into trance, meditation and so on. Have seen some strange stuff happen with other people dissociating in my life time as well.

So this topic is a very interesting one to me.
"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."

Return to “Psychology & Sociology”