Chelsea Green Publishing - the leading publisher of sustainable living books since 1985.

More money from charities?

I've been thinking over the last few days. Why are these hungry, starving people still in need of food when millions is being donated a year. After some research (not too much), I found that charities don't give much to the poor people when you donate. Let's say it's £1, they only seem to give about 50p of that to the actual cause so why does this happen and do you think this should change?
High Perf., Luxury Scented Candle, Powerful Fragrance

i also wonder why we can have game shows that give away hundreds of thousands of dollars for a person correctly answering a few questions, when more than likely a few blocks from the studio the show is being filmed out there is a homeless person suffering on the street.

that sucks about the charities though. but i guess they gotta pay for the advertising and for the people working for the charities somehow. iep. *shrug* blagh. id say the best kinda charity you can do is by actually going out and doing it yourself. money is just paper that comes and goes. your time never comes back.

The charities exist more to give priveledged youngsters a proving ground, an excuse to say they did something altruistic without actually making an impact on the elite agaendas. of course there are exceptions. The people starve because they have no will to improve their conditions, or there is no will to actually help them. There is no food shortage in this world, far far from it, the wasste is enormous.

Here in canada we have it good, yet there are plenty of hungry children in every city and town. I worked for a small farmer who sold vegetables, i asked him why he didnt give the wasted food to the poor and thus promote himself, he replied that there wass no way in hell, he would rather see the food rot than give away his hard work, in his opinion the consumer should pay even more.

I didnt understand his position then, and i quit the job not wanting to work for a man i couldnt see eye to eye with. Now, with a better understanding of the market forces i see that small farmers are very abused financially, and i feel the same way, yet i will give my produce freely to the poor anyway, better than to cheap people that do have money.
Believe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TBZnvyGwQlieve

[QUOTE=opiumchild;1114951]i also wonder why we can have game shows that give away hundreds of thousands of dollars for a person correctly answering a few questions, when more than likely a few blocks from the studio the show is being filmed out there is a homeless person suffering on the street.

that sucks about the charities though. but i guess they gotta pay for the advertising and for the people working for the charities somehow. iep. *shrug* blagh. id say the best kinda charity you can do is by actually going out and doing it yourself. money is just paper that comes and goes. your time never comes back.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I agree, but it's a charity, not a business. The charity should not be paying for workers and the overall charity should be funded so more money can go to the poor people.

when i lived with my boyfriend we would donate to St. Jude's Childrens Hospital every christmas. I get letters from them filled with paper every month asking for more.

they gotta pay for the paper and envelopes and the time to put it all together and then the postage to send it to me. it adds up. then they gotta pay for the advertisements put in whatever place they put it in, they usually get a spokesperson who is compensated in some form. it is hard to work fulltime for a charity and not get compensated *Shrug* :/

[QUOTE=opiumchild;1114966]when i lived with my boyfriend we would donate to St. Jude's Childrens Hospital every christmas. I get letters from them filled with paper every month asking for more.

they gotta pay for the paper and envelopes and the time to put it all together and then the postage to send it to me. it adds up. then they gotta pay for the advertisements put in whatever place they put it in, they usually get a spokesperson who is compensated in some form. it is hard to work fulltime for a charity and not get compensated *Shrug* :/[/QUOTE]

I guess, but shouldn't these things be funded by the local council or something so more donations can be given?
dickblick.com

Return to “Making a Difference”