Natural Products for a Wide Range of Conditions

Stirling engines are very practical for very small, low input uses, typically less than 1 kW on any do-it-yourself job. If I were to make a solar powered electric plant, I would flash liquid nitrogen and superheat it to above 70 degrees to drive turbines. Couple with a large stirling engine, you may be able to run a compressor and heat exchangers to condense the nitrogen back to liquid, but it would require ridiculous seals and probably wouldn't be efficient. But it's just an idea :P It's good to see other people than I see the benefits of DIY steam power.

Stirling engines can be delicate, that is if certain conditions are not met they just dont work. In a practical sense i could see them being used to an advantage in private homes. Especially in northern climates there is a heat differential that exists due to we heat our homes. Houses could be designed with stirling engines which salvage this lost potential. The inner heat pushes the piston and the outer cold pulls it, thats all it needs to generate free lighting if flourescent or LED technology is used. I wouldnt try to run refridgerators, toasters and microwaves tho, there are better ways.

Another differential which exists naturally is where people have a body of water. A swimming pool, lake, livestock dugout, these all seasonally may have enough temperature differential to run an engine. The engine could also reverse its direction, depending whether the water is cooler than air temp(summer) or warmer than air temp(winter). WAter freezes at 32f (0c), if temperature is -40 outside thats a 72 degree difference, i think this is enough to run an engine
Believe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TBZnvyGwQlieve

[QUOTE=Clear Blue Sky;1119074]What about the windings of a river?
Sadly, they tend to channelize these rivers and them dam them up for massive dams :( Killing beautiful parrots in the Amazon.[/QUOTE]

of course this is another way to simply deny and control resources for the advantage of a few. There are other ways to live, but this isnt in the minds of the people who take the easiest route to a goal, neither are parrots.

If everyone that needed electric power stuck a small water turbine into the river the river would likely stop flowing, idk, might be worse in the end. Some of these things are counter-intuitive when we step back and look at a bigger picture with accurate information not just our feelings and cultural filters. Im not saying its ok to make dams and kill parrots, there are alternatives to the way things are done but who wants to change their way of living or their 'thing' never mind the way they think.

Maybe the river could be used to cool stirling engines so they continue to operate efficiently. Fine for us for now, down the road the heat raises the temperature of the river maybe, or where it flows into, ruining another environment. If we want what we want and thats all we do is go after what we want we and others like parrots pay for our stubborn characters with lives.

Ever try telling a country, city or town it cant have cheap electricity because some parrots in a jungle? Solar powered stirling engines are only one suppressed solution but if we are not smarter than the engine to begin with what then? Whah whah whah and theres a damned dam.
Believe...

A Sterling engine is basically a hot-air engine -- it only needs heat applied to one end of the assembly.

One Earth-Friendly application is to place a Sterling Engine at the focus of a polished parabolic reflector with the heat input end at the focus.

A belt from the engine can run to a pulley on a small AC compressor.

Aim it at the sun and the engine will drive free AC.

However, Sterling Cycle Engines don't usually have a lot of power. You can make a big one, but it will require more heat to drive it.

------I watched the videos after I posted, they show the solar application.

yes, there is an experimental parabolic array which is capable of producing kilowatts of energy. I havent had the chance to play around with either a parabola or a fresnel lens, but i am quite curious about the power of a fresnel lens to increase output of solar panels. The downside is overheating and cooling the panels.

Idk, its all seems relative anyway, the bigger the flywheel, the temp differential, heat absorbtion (ruins the differential), friction and other tolerances.

NO doubt though, people are using the engines to power tractors, 50kw generators, cars, boats and whatever one can dream up. With cars one problem is the transportation agencies, they just dont want open flames and fuel together on a vehicle. They even sound like a bunch of chickens lol.
Believe...

I don't think you realize how extremely expensive it is to outfit ANYTHING with boilers, pipes, steam plant cleanliness inspections/certified ASME piping, instrumentation, control, operating procedure research, quality assurance, among the many things that go into maintaining anything steam related to be safe enough to work... Not to mention maintenance, chemistry controls for the feedwater, makeup water, obtaining deionized water... the list goes on and on. It's all expensive, tough to control, and on top of that, not very efficient for the amount of money saved or not saved.

All I know is I don't want a car to perform a boiler blowdown next to me waiting at a traffic light... steam cloud in my car = no fun.

[QUOTE=dangerouss451;1120657]I don't think you realize how extremely expensive it is to outfit ANYTHING with boilers, pipes, steam plant cleanliness inspections/certified ASME piping, instrumentation, control, operating procedure research, quality assurance, among the many things that go into maintaining anything steam related to be safe enough to work... Not to mention maintenance, chemistry controls for the feedwater, makeup water, obtaining deionized water... the list goes on and on. It's all expensive, tough to control, and on top of that, not very efficient for the amount of money saved or not saved.

All I know is I don't want a car to perform a boiler blowdown next to me waiting at a traffic light... steam cloud in my car = no fun.[/QUOTE]

All this stuff you are talking about is completely obsolete concerning stirling engines, except quality control and procedure research. There is no pressurized steam involved in the operation of a stirling engine nor is there any possibility of a steam cloud erupting. Its a simple matter of creating or taking advantage of an existing temperature differential. Air pressure is converted into movement using a shunt which compresses air and drives a piston which drives a flywheel. eventually the machine absorbs enough heat to stop working because the temperature differential is reduced too far, introduce cooling to the heat sink and it goes like hell again.

I had a small stirling that ran on top of a cup of coffee, so yes steam can be used safely as a passive heat source, a blowdown would be more like a tub of hot water spilling on the road. I agree being parboiled by a steam cloud is not my choice of experiences, I've narrowly missed this disaster a few times working with old sketchy steam pressure washing equipment in remote areas. But to illustrate the principle in action, one metal plate sits over a hot cup of coffee, another plate is cooled by the air and in between is a disk or cylindric shunt which allows air to move around it and pull/push on it resulting in movement due to differnt air pressures on either side of the shunt. eventually the machine absorbs the heat and stops, but when i applied ice to the top plate the temperature differential was restored and the machine took right off, or i could make it go twice as fast to begin with by using ice all along.

Ya, i messed that machine up, cant leave nuthin alone, gotts ta see what makes tick LOL, push the button, pull the lever..and kinda duck n look over shoulder just in case things go sideways.
Believe...

[QUOTE=Sunsmiles;1120678]And remember boyz, when working with machines there is one rule you should pay attention to, that is: Never put your fingers any where you wouldnt put your..ah..guys you know.. how to explain it to the ladies though?[/QUOTE]

That's called the "Pickle Slicer Rule"

Sorry but on linear propulsion systems and non there is not room for belts, v pulleys, cables, think of fly by wire and then expand on that premise , then go past that and what do you have?
Green Goddess Supply

Return to “Making a Difference”