I lost myself for 6 years in a mmorpg, by the time I found my way back out I was shocked at how much of myself I had disconnected from. I'm still struggling to come fully back into myself.

Here are Han's top 5 warning signs of gaming or Internet addiction:

1. Disrupted regular life pattern. If a person plays games all night long and sleeps in the daytime, that can be a warning he or she should seek professional help.

2. If the potential gaming or Internet addict loses his or her job, or stops going to school in order to be online or to play a digital game.

3. Need for a bigger fix. Does the gamer have to play for longer and longer periods in order to get the same level of enjoyment from the game?

4. Withdrawal. Some Internet and gaming addicts become irritable or anxious when they disconnect, or when they are forced to do so.

5. Cravings. Some Internet and gaming addicts experience cravings, or the need to play the game or be online when they are away from the digital world.

https://www.cnn.co.uk/2012/08/05/tech/ga ... index.html

It can be a serious problem for some people these are just a few signs.

Some video games cater to the need to play them hours and hours and hours to reach milestones of success in them. How much money can be made off them, how much they sell and how long they last in market, depend on many factors: one of which is gameplay time, flow, and variety. This is why I quit playing WoW, they intentionally make the game this way by making boss difficulty levels and item droprates compared to number of players available and time per fight maximize the amount of time needed to get all the best items (and basically unable to get everything you can, and chance that you can't get nearly all of them anyways due to % chance).

This type of catering began in the 80s when gameplay was discovered as a major factor in sales, compared to arcades which you can just play over and over again or walk to a new one: look at Contra, games could only have so much data included, so the makers made them extremely challenging compared to today's market in order to keep players playing trying to beat it instead of dying.

Now, I play games catering to relaxation and nostalgia - extra good feelings because good memories are also involved. Pokemon games, Super Smash Bros. N64, a digimon mmo, various PS2 sports games and star wars BF2, LoZ: Ocarina of Time, and trying to find a copy of Final Fantasy X (PS2) and various emulators for games such as gameboy games since my only handheld is 3DS.

I find it much easier to choose between activities on a daily basis, and not urged to "work" on a game. ESPECIALLY not a game that involves disappointment of a high degree, or stressful interactions with others; these are not experiences to have for enjoyment time.

I don't believe in game addiction. If I allow myself to enjoy it freely and not think badly of it, then the common sense just makes things balanced.
If I believe I should not play that much and limit my time, then automatically a person tends to play more. It is somehow built in that we tend to over-step the prohibition and we also lose common sense.
But if no prohibition, then there is no need for any addiction. Something just inside tells us what is right.

Weird logic, and I might be wrong. :)

I don't really see my amount of gaming as an addiction even though I've been playing them ever since I could hold a controller (when I was about 3 years old). Honestly, I know people who are way more hardcore than I am, but I like the NES and SNES stuff while liking the original Playstation since I was born during that gaming era when (what used to be) elaborate graphics were in reach with the technology. While people upgraded with the PS3 and X-box-Live and stuff, I stuck with anything PS2 and back (with the exception of the 3ds and PSP), and I'm loving it! With the awesomeness that is Megaman, Metroid, SwordQuest (Atari), Duke Nukem 64, Doom, Galaga, Legend of Zelda: A link to the past, Shantae(GBC), Donkey Kong Country, R-Type, Raiden, Demon's Crest, everything! It's like time traveling, but with less of a risk! Besides, I like their worlds more than our world :o

I got lost in the world of Evony and it does very much take hold of your life you spend so long building up your citys and armys that when late at night and your just about to go to bed and someone attacks your city well you just have to sit up to defend it, Games such as this become deadly serious for players some of them spending thousands on the game to progress.

Personally I think it's escapism. Life can be rather boring at times so a chance to do something that would normally be impossible/ socially unacceptable gives people the change they need. And those who get lost in games (i.e WOW fanboys) just have really boring lives. Same reason people do drugs :rolleyes:

How many hourz do you have to play to be addicted to gaming???
I bet they will sell pillz for playstation addiction and then another pill for xbox addiction ... uz computer gamerz will get injectionz of glowing fluid...
Muhahahahah

Light. wrote:[i:2m1mc24o][b:2m1mc24o]How many hourz do you have to play to be addicted to gaming[/b:2m1mc24o][/i:2m1mc24o]???
I bet they will sell pillz for playstation addiction and then another pill for xbox addiction ... uz computer gamerz will get injectionz of glowing fluid...
Muhahahahah
I play 15-18 hours.. per day. MUhahahha. I am sick.
Currently I am in break from games though :-)

Christine Hauck wrote:I lost myself for 6 years in a mmorpg, by the time I found my way back out I was shocked at how much of myself I had disconnected from. I'm still struggling to come fully back into myself.
I hope it wasn't WOW, because there is no cure for what that game does to you. Not even a therapist can heal you, you need an Exorcist.

I won't even sit down to play Wii or Xbox or any of the consoles anymore because I get obsessed, until I finish the entire game, and become the best, I won't stop. I will play facebook games against my buddies & fam..it's a little friendly competition, and funny to boast your scores. Anyways I've been smoking all of them for a while staying #1 for months :) People don't like that too much..my bad. Recently, Roier recommended "CandyCrush" and i quickly became addicted..
Thanks Roier for That...haha it's a cool game though

I was really addicted to games when i was a kid, at about 11 years and up. Of course, as an indigo child i had lots of problems with my first school. I hated that place, i hated doing homework because i did'nt see the point of it, every morning i would be super stressed about school when i would be taking the public transport. School for me was the worst experience of my life, and i think its the reason why i'm so stressed even today. The reason why i loved video games so much is because finally i could completely forget about that shitty school and do something fun at the same time. Only when i grew up i realized that i used video games for escapism. But of course the media will blame the games for causing such addiction instead of looking at their modern society and looking for what might be the cause of this gaming outburst. Surely just blaming games instead of changing our outdated and stressful educational system is much easier.

[QUOTE=MiamiSound;1022003]I hope it wasn't WOW, because there is no cure for what that game does to you. Not even a therapist can heal you, you need an Exorcist.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I quit cold turkey a few years back after realizing that since I hit 70, I didn't have the time to dedicate to raiding. I tried doing dailies (i was a rogue), I tried other classes (nothing amounted to a rogues power for me), and I tried PvP, and except for the PvP NOTHING could revive the game for me =(

Return to “Gaming”