Eternal Music (a story by Bamboo)

Note: I absolutely apologize for the length of this short story, but I assure you it's pretty good (at least according to those I've shared with). Also, be warned, there are a few curse words, I apologize. NO STEALING! (please).:) For an added effect, the song "Alone in the Dark" by Vadim Kiselev goes perfect with the first paragraph. Enjoy :)

[CENTER][CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman]Eternal Music[/FONT][/CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[FONT=Times New Roman] A soft sonata played upon a piano, echoing as the world continues to spin. A wild dance to the day; a gentle lullaby to the night. Each note embodied with a life. As the note dies away, so does that life. This is the music of eternity. Without it, nothing could exist.We can’t hear it with our ears. No, it is impossible that way. Instead, we hear this symphony with our souls. Our lives may only last the length of a single note, but each note is important to the song. Value each note, as it is meant to accompany yours in one way or another.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman] “Move out of my way, freak!” a girl with what one would consider a perfect body, brown, shoulder length hair, and striking green eyes said as she shoved past a girl with glasses and carrying a clarinet case.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Sheesh, Aria, do you always have to be so mean?” a blonde girl, Aria’s friend, commented as the two headed to their piano class.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman] “Who cares? She’ll get over it. If I’m late one more time, though, Mrs. Callahan is going to give me detention, and I desperately don’t want to miss that shoe sale. So hurry up, Christy!” Aria increased her pace, with just one minute before the bell. The girls raced through the door of the piano class just as the bell rang.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Ladies, take your seats. I don’t know why you applied at this art school if you don’t even want to respect ourbells for class,” Mrs. Callahan commented as she turned to a chalkboard with music written on it.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “But we were on time today, Mrs.Callahan,” Aria stated as she sat at her piano.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman] “Yes, miss Townsend, but what about tomorrow, when the shoe sale is over?” Mrs. Callahan responded, a look of disapproval on her face. Of course she knew about the sale. She loved shoes just as much as Aria did. Aria slouched in her chair at the teacher’s comment. “I know that’s why you were on time today, you don’t want detention. However, miss Townsend, you failed to pick up your area yesterday. You left makeup on your piano, where it shouldn’t have been in the first place. So I guess it’s your unlucky day, you have detention.” Mrs. Callahan handed Aria a detention slip, walking away with a pleased smile on her face.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] What a bitch! I never leave my makeup here. I bet she made it up just to torture me. I hate her so much. I wish she would just drop dead! Aria thought to herself, an angered look on her face as she stared at the piece of paper keeping her from the best shoe sale of the year.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] The rest of the day went by slowly. Each ticking second felt like a century, and each hour an eternity. Not even Aria’s favorite pastime of making fun of the school’s own band nerds made her feel better about missing the shoe sale. Even that poor little clarinet player wasn’t afraid of her efforts at torture. Aria moved from class-to-class like a zombie just begging to die.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Hey, Aria, wait up! I want to show you something I came up with in dance,” Christy, yelled from across the quad as she ran towards her friend.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “I’m really not in the mood right now, Christy.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Are you seriously still mad about the whole detention thing? It’s really not a big deal; they’ll still have shoes there tomorrow. Sure, not as cheap, but you never cared about money before.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Christy, I don’t care if money’s not an issue, I wanted first dibs on the best shoes. Besides, I’m mostly angry that Mrs. Callahan is a bitch who’s out to destroy me.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “She’s not out to destroy you. Heck, if you actually showed up to class on time, and got rid of that attitude, you two might actually get along.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Yeah right, she’s a little she-devil, we’d never get along.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Well, whatever Aria. I still want to show you my dance routine. I want your opinion on it. I’m thinking about doing it for the showcase next month.” Christy pulled out her IPod once Aria nodded to her. She began her dance, putting all her energy and passion into it.Once finished, Christy noticed many onlookers, but Aria was staring at her own reflection in her compact mirror, placing lip gloss on her lips, ignoring Christy’s routine.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Seriously, Aria?” Christy panted as she grabbed the mirror from her friend. “You couldn’t watch me for 3 minutes? I wanted to know if this was a good routine, but instead you decided your lips were more important than me. Some friend you are. I’m out. I’m going to that shoe sale, and I’m not getting you anything, unlike what I was going to do for you.” Christy waved her hand goodbye quickly and stormed off, all onlookers now watching in disbelief at the scene.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Yeah, well fuck you Christy!” yelled Aria, to no one in particular. “I’m having a bad day, and that bitch decides to tell me off? She’s not even that talented, why would she want to be in that showcase anyways, she’d only embarrass herself,” Aria mumbled as she headed to detention.

[/FONT]________________________________________________________________________

[FONT=Times New Roman] Aria sat in the detention room, doodling obscene and brutal scenes of Mrs. Callahan and Christy being tortured. Right now she hated these two, wishing terrible things would happen to them. To make things worse, she had to spend the hour with that no talent clarinet player, who’d apparently been caught smoking in the bathroom, go figure.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] It was the longest hour of her life.She’d managed about five pages of disturbing artwork before the teacher told the two they could leave. She gathered up her stuff quickly, maybe she could make it before the sale ended. On her way towards the door, however, she fell over the girl’s clarinet, landing on her knees, where she tore a hole on the right leg of her favorite pair of leggings.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Damn it! Move this stupid instrument you untalented little roach!” Aria yelled as she got up on her feet, dusting her skirt off and checking her knees.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “I . . . I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to trip you,” the girl whispered in a sweet voice.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Yeah, whatever, I don’t care. Just keep you and your squeaky shit away from me, got it?” The girl nodded at Aria and quickly exited the room.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] This just isn’t my day. Too many people trying to torture me and make my life a living hell. Why do they even let these no-talents come here in the first place? Oh well, I’m better than all of them, and they’ll see that someday. Aria thought to herself as she headed towards her car. It was pouring outside, great. Now she’d look like a wet dog when she walked into the shoe store. Could this day possibly get any worse?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] Aria sped along the freeway, determined to make it to the shoe sale before it ended. She wasn’t going to miss this for anything. She looked behind her quickly as she changed lanes for her exit. In all the thick rain, she failed to see the large semi-truck coming up the on ramp, in her hurry to reach the mall. With a sudden jolt, the semi slammed into the tail of her car, sending it hurtling towards the barrier, flipping a couple times before hitting the railing. Dead on impact.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] Aria’s life didn’t flash before her eyes. She didn’t feel pain or peace as her life slipped away. No, neither of these happened to her. One moment she was inside the car, and the next she was outside, watching as her lifeless body bled out onto the road. She knew she was dead, but what should she do now? Where was the whole white light thing? Wasn’t that where she was supposed to go when she died? Once all the questions in her mind sped through, she looked up to see all but one person looking at the wreckage. Instead of looking at the accident, this person was looking at her.Not at her corpse, but her spirit, or whatever she was right now. This person gave an eerie grin as he headed towards her. No one else seemed to notice him but her. She felt very uneasy about this person. Something seemed . . . off about him.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Hello, I’m Eric, you must be Aria,” the strange boy said as he stopped in front of her. She simply nodded at him.“Do you know what happened to you?”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Um, yes, I’m dead, aren’t I?” Aria hesitated in answering, hoping it was all a dream.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Yes, you are. Do you know why I’m here?” Eric questioned as he looked Aria in the eyes.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Are you the grim reaper, come to take my soul?”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Haha! I’m a grim reaper, yes, and something like that about the souls. I actually work on special cases.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Special cases? Like what?”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman] “Like souls with different destinies. Ones not destined for Heaven or reincarnation.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] Aria thought to herself, unease growing in her even more. If her soul wasn’t destined for Heaven or reincarnation, that left only one more option.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “You’re here to take me to Hell, aren’t you?” Eric nodded at Aria, making her squat on the ground in disbelief. This was just too much for her to handle.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Well, it’s not the kind of Hell you’re thinking of. Your soul isn’t inherently bad, like those that are truly sent there. Yours simply needs some reshaping, so to speak.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Reshaping? What does that even mean?”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “It means you must learn a lesson.Your soul is not going to be punished for eternity in Hell. Instead, you will have a job to do, in order to repay your debt and learn your lesson. I’m to take you to the Hall of Eternity, where you will learn the value of a life,whether it be positive or negative, major or minor.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “What will I do there?”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Just come with me, you’ll see.” Eric held out his hand to Aria, who took it reluctantly. In an instant they were somewhere never seen before. The structure was ornate and unbelievable. It was what Aria thought looked like the greatest music hall in the world. It was large, with amazing acoustics. Above her, the ceiling was filled with stars and other astral bodies. The hall was darkened, aside from a spotlight shone upon a piano.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] Music from the piano at center stage played through the hall. The song was beautiful and haunting, resonating deeply within her soul. As she walked closer, she noticed what looked like millions of tiny, very tiny, fireflies dancing above the piano. She walked closer and closer to the piano, Eric at her side, watching the fireflies dance to the music. She walked around the piano to see who was playing. To her horror, a young boy, looking about fourteen years of age, sat there playing. His hands and eyes were bloodied, and so were the keys he played. Aria turned to Eric in terror.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “Is this my punishment? Is this what I’m going to be doing?” Aria said in panic.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “This is not a punishment, it’s a lesson. You don’t have to, if you don’t want to, but the alternative is torture in Hell for all eternity. So it’s up to you. You either play the music of life, or you go to Hell.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] Aria thought for a moment, looking at the boy, the dancing fireflies. This was a lesson, not an eternal punishment, surely it couldn’t be so bad. Aria nodded at Eric, indicating she would do the lesson. Eric gestured to the piano, implying she sit down and begin playing. Though she didn’t know the song, she sat upon the stool and began playing, automatically, what seemed to be the most beautiful song she’d ever heard. The boy beside her faded away, having fulfilled his own lesson, and the fireflies began dancing to her song.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] “You are now in control of sustaining each life on Earth, great and small. This song is eternity, each note a life. When one note ends, so does that life. Each note is important to the song. Without it, the song would be incomplete. Value each note, as one affects another in some way. This is your lesson.” Eric faded into oblivion as Aria continued the song, unable to stop playing the eternal music.[/FONT]

Return to “Writing”